Thread: Land Based Fishing Spots in & Around Brisbane

Question Land Based Fishing Spots in & Around Brisbane

Hi people, I am keen to try and find some new spots around Brisbane to do a bit of land based fishing. I am not expecting anyone to give away any of thier hot spots, just some new creeks or waterways to try my luck?

I live on the North side of Brisvegas so have tried places like Deep water bend, Dohles rocks, Shorncliffe jetty and a few areas around Bribie & Redcliffe.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Re: Land Based Fishing Spots in & Around Brisbane

Hey Ricardo,

Have ya tried Albany Creek?

Just drop a line anywhere in the Brissie River aswell. You never know what you're gonna get it's like a lucky dip.
    Saint Andrew, Patron Saint of fishing and fisherman, Pray for us!

Hey Ricardo,
    Can you drive a boat ? As you could get some mates together and hire one from quite a few places in Pummicestone passage quite cheaply and you don't need a license, I recommend fishing the top and bottom of the tide as there is way too much water moving once the tide gets moving again, around the bribie bridge and north for about a k is a good place to start, some people do alright from shore but for snapper I reckon you'd need a boat, i caught about 20 the other day with three over 35cm great fun on light tackle fresh suid and prawns as bait. from shore you can get flathead bream and whiting, yabbies are a top bait in this area. hope this helps
    pete
    Last edited by poopeypetey; 12-03-2008 at 01:01 AM.

G'DAY RICARDO. IM NOT OVERLY FAMILAR WITH BRISBANE OR THE GOLD COAST FOR THAT MATTER, BUT I PURCHASED THIS BOOK http://www.hookedinparadise.com.au/ AND IT HAS HELPED ME A LOT BY GIVING ME A ROUGH IDEA OF WHERE I SHOULD HEADE AND WHAT TYPE OF FISH TO EXPECT THERE.

Ricardo,

I'm in a similar situation to you as my wife and I have only recently started fishing.

What I did was use Google Earth to zoom in on the coast line and estuaries and mark out "likely spots". The funny thing is many of the spots we've marked out have ended up being mentioned from time to time in here so we can refine our "intelligence" - and we're slowly picking off the spots one by one to see how we go.

I keep a history of our trips, tides, times, bait and moon in the placemark Properties so we can look back at similar times for re-visits. I also use different placemarkers to rate sites... for ease of use.

Our preference is to fish somewhere pleasant so we can usually see what the environment is like before we head out... but overall it's been a good way of seeking out new and interesting places around Brissy!

Good luck

The Hornibrook Highway is a good land-based platform giving access to the main channel of the Pine River. It's a good bream and flathead location and you'll get a few tailor in winter. For bream, the main target fish around the pylons under the bridge across the top of the tide. When the tide starts to run out cast towards the Houghton Highway close to the pylons if you can reach them. Best baits for bream are yabbies, prawns and worms. You can jig live herring from the bridge which will produce flathead and large bream when presented as a live bait or you can fillet them for fresh flesh baits. Note that the channel is now past the hump when you walk out from the Sandgate side. Fish the first two or three 'posts' past the hump.
    At the other end of the highway is the much smaller channel of Hayes Inlet. Fish across the top of the tide right on top of the rocks near the end of the bridge at night when the tides are big - new moon is better than full. Use almost no sinker and keep the noise and the use of torches to a minimum. You'll get some good bream there and the odd flathead but don't go too far out so that your bait is on sand. Fish from about the second 'post' from the end of the bridge.
    The rocks at Scott's Point (on the Redcliffe peninsula) are a good location at low tide around dawn and dusk. During the winter you get tailor, bream and flathead plus yellowtail pike which you can use as a live or cut bait.
    The mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek at Shorncliff is a good location to wade using live baits or soft plastics for flathead and bream on the second half of the run-out tide. Walk downstream from the public jetty and fish the edge of the channel and the flats between the channel and the rocks. You'll get some surprisingly good fish there in water less than knee deep.
    There's a few ideas - let me know if you want any spots a bit further away.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by JawstheOriginal View Post
    Have ya tried Albany Creek?

Just drop a line anywhere in the Brissie River aswell. You never know what you're gonna get it's like a lucky dip.
    hey peeps i'm a newbie and learning fishing, i know squat but am trying to learn abit from my cousin. Anyways first things first...brissie river fishing?...is that just for fun? isn't the brissie river too polluted to eat the fish?

i live in the southeast area, anyone got some yabbie spots or some fishing spots?

i've just been screwing around in 'raby bay' yacht club....so many little fishes, looks like an aquarium, even bread can catch them...but for some reason they only hide near the jetti...and nothin infront of it. (i.e deep water)

lots of whiting and butter bream......my cousin has turned them to fresh water fish and raises it in his aquarium (lol probably against the rules) although i think butter bream is a rubbish fish and has no size limit so you can eat it, so raising them in the tank should be ok.

catchin gubbies as feeder fish makes it a even cheaper way to raise them...butter bream can live so well and you don't have to clean the tank and feed them for yonks.

Quote Originally Posted by astro2 View Post

..... i live in the southeast area, anyone got some yabbie spots or some fishing spots?

i've just been screwing around in 'raby bay' yacht club......
    Hi Astro 2,

I assume you mean the Raby Bay Marina and that you are fishing off the public pontoon there?

You can pump Yabbies on the "beaches" in the Raby Bay parklands out the front. When the tide comes in a bit use the same Yabbies to catch whiting and bream off the same beaches. You will also get the odd Flathead, Tailor etc, so a few Pilchard or Mullet strip baits won't go astray either.

The rock walls there and on the other side of Raby Bay are all reasonable land base positions also.

Cheers

Dave

thankyou very much that was helpful

is there any handy tips if i don't have pilchard? i hear pilchard is expensive...will simple rubber lures worth investing in?

p.s are those fish scent worth buying?

pps the area I was fishing was near the area where coles is at raby bay, where its full of expensive boats and yachts and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by astro2 View Post
    thankyou very much that was helpful

is there any handy tips if i don't have pilchard? i hear pilchard is expensive...will simple rubber lures worth investing in?

p.s are those fish scent worth buying?

pps the area I was fishing was near the area where coles is at raby bay, where its full of expensive boats and yachts and stuff
    Yep, that was the spot I was referring too.

Soft plastics would work fine as well, not sure that they are cheaper than bait though?, but just as effective on most days once you know how to use them.

Not sure about the scents, others might be better placed to comment.

You could also use a small whiting as bait for the Flathead, they love them!

There is also a public Jetty along Masterhead Drive down toward the park and beaches you can fish off as well. Plenty of spots around there.

You can also fish off the Bridge over Tingalpa Creek on Ricketts Road. They have built a proper fishing platform on it now. Then there is the Wynnum/Manly esplanade foreshores and rock walls, plenty of options there as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave

i have much luck around Bretts Wahrf in Hamilton in the briz river... try at nite around he bottom of brightly lit yatchs.

Goodluck

Dan

thanks for all the answers XD

any other fresh water fishing places in brissie for southeast?

also some yabbie/crayfish spots? or do i have to head towards the north

Somerset and wivenhoe are good for a feed of red claws.
    As a young fella, I used to love the shoving my arm in a cray hole and getting snapped.
    Pain always meant I would have a feed................:grin:
    No pain meant I was buying fish and chips:cry:

lol

i wouldve thought pain meant oh crap no fingers

OR

oh sh*t i hope its not a snake

also to 'outsider1' is tingalpa creek, did you mean rickertt Rd?? also isn't that near a 'sewerage plant' upon that creek fish are probably very dirty

also to the guy above, are those places for 'red claws' at tazzy if so then no crayfish/yabbies for me
    Last edited by astro2; 20-04-2008 at 05:56 PM.