Thread: Saving a grip

Saving a grip

Well I managed to break my 2-4k berkley lightning rod. Unsalvageable as it completely snapped in two about 21/2 foot from the tip, and it wasn't a clean break either.

Anyway I'm not to distressed but I would really like to salvage the grip (photo below) if at all possible to use on a future rod. I know grips aren't all that expensive, its just that I really like the feel of this one.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how best to attempt salvaging this grip?

Re: Saving a grip

unscrew the top section and then cut the rod blank off at the top of the reel seat. The only way to reuse the whole thing is if you slice off the rubber but cap and get a blank that is a thinner diameter than the existing blank the handle is already glued to. I've just done one one a Loomis blank. I used a mossy back handle -snapper rod - for a 6' 2-8lb blank and only had to pack the blank slightly before glueing the blank into place. Once in place glue the butt cap back on. Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Jan.

it is possible to drill out the seat...CAREFULLY, if done neatly without damanging it you ccan reuse it as almost new..this WILL require you to get new cork for the rear however as the rear grip will be distroyed by doinfg this...
    as Jan mentioed it is possibel to siply insert a blank of smallr dia. into the old grip but getting a small enough blank with the desired strength is hard...you also create a wek point when the old glass / graphite ends and the new blank starts (under the hood)...
    up to you waht you do, but i agree, its a spiffy set, i woudl personally salvage it as well !!!
    good luck

Well I thought and thought about it and in the end decided to take my chances drilling out the old blank. I did some searching and couldn't come up with a blank that would slide up the inside of the existing one so my only option was to give the drill ago.

Fortunately I was quite successful and managed to remove the majority of the old blank and glue without any damage to the reel seat or cork. I found that I was able to cut off the cork cap on the butt pretty cleanly which enable me to attack the old blank from both ends.

I'm very happy now as I really want to build this grip onto a Samurai 011 or 012 for a skinny water kayak rod.

Thanks for the replies guys and I'll let you know when the rod is done (could be a little while but it will happen!!!)

Cheers
    Shane

Yeah it should work on a different rod, it looks a brilliant grip for comfortablity and looks

Cheers Tom

Yeah tailorboi this grip is very comfortable. What I really like about it is that with the fore and rear grips being built 'around' the reel seat the overall grip length is shorter.
    Also when flicking one handed you actually hold the grip rather than half grip/half reel seat as most setups with conventional reel seats seem to do. (hope you follow my meaning!!!)

Mate may I suggest that you convert the rod to a two piece and them find a piece to fit the bottom half.

Ken

Hey Rodman. The rod was originally a two piece anyway and the break occured approx 2/3 the way along the tip section. I'll take some photos of the break and any advice on fixing methods would be great!