Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisheries.

Fisheries.

Just thought i would share an experience with you. Over the years i have read many threads and posts regarding the way fisheries have dealt with them and i have steerd clear as i have never rerally been approached by them till now.
    I have just returned from a camping fishin stint from agnes way an had my first real dealuing with them.
    I was up at camp, organising the truck, and saw two quads coming up the beach which is real strange as you rarly get people coming up where i camp. They came straight up to my camp ond with no hello how are you mate whats happening proceede to walk straight over to my boat which was on its trailer.
    I was no more than 10m from them and they proceeded to start poking around the insode of my boat, again not a word said to myself at all.
    I pproached the two fisheries officers and said hello, beautiful day, what can i help you with. Again not even a hello, i thought well this is going well. My thought shifted to ausfish threads and thought why in the hell these guys are being so arrogant. The sun is shining, crystal clear water and they are cruising around the beach on quads, not a bad day at the office i would of thought.
    Now, i am not to keen on complete strangers going through my gear so i a little more sternly asked if i could help them with something. There response was to hassle me about my boat rego.
    I had an old rego sticker on her, and not the new one as my business pays the bills, through my bookeeper, ande i had not grabbed the sticker to put in the boat before i left. The lecture went on and on about it with attitude, Then he says something like he cant fine me because it is on the trailer and not on the water and that is the water poiice job anyway!
    Then he spys my nsw rego plates, sees my drag net then proceeds to tell me that it is illegal in nsw to have, and even to buy, where did i get it from in nsw!
    By this time i was getting sick of the attitude i was recieving and said, "no shit mate, thats why i couldnt find one and had to get one in qld"
    With that they both got on there quads and left. Not even a goodbye.
    They may have had relevant issues with me, thats not my gripe, my gripe is the bloody attitude they served up to me.
    No wonder they are getting a bad name with some people.
    Jewie

Re: Fisheries.

Mate, I feel for you. Sounds like you did the right thing though and kept it cool. You are right though, it doesn't take much to pass some pleasantries and a g'day to someone, especially when in uniform. Makes you wonder if they are in the right job when in heaven they can't even respond with politeness.

Shane

Thats all i was pissed about mate, not even a hello, attitude attitude........
    jewie

you're right Watta...it doesnt take much to be polite...just for some ppl...they get a complex when they put a uniform on..."im better than you and ill do what i like"...its a damn shame you had to go through that Jewie...just think you wouldnt have a soured veiw of the fisheries if those blokes had been nicer about what they were doing...it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the barrel tho doesnt it...
    just my oppinion tho...

(Mrs Benno1)

Drag nets are not illegal in NSW, I had one, it does need to be inspected and tagged, unless these last few years the law changed, no good reason for it though.

MMMmmm so what particular ranch do these cowboys hail from?

cheers fnq

Get on to the nearest office and lodge a complaint with the district manager, tell them the day and the time that it occurred. Officers are required to keep a field log detailing when and where they went. The office should be able to identify who they were. Also write or email, not only to their office but to head office, lodge the complaint formally, it will be the most effective way of having inappropriate behaviour dealt with.

Remind them of their Code of Ethics, they must respect and uphold the rights of all clients, and they must act honestly and with utmost integrity. Remind them of their need for professionalism, and carrying out duties without ill will.

When they were poking around in your boat, did they climb into the boat while on the trailer or did they just poke around while looking over the side? They may be in breach of Fisheries Act Part 8 Enforcement, Division 2 Powers of inspectors for places boats or vehicles, Section 146 Boarding of boats and entry to vehicles, #3 Before boarding an unattended boat or entering an unattended vehicle under this section, the inspector must take reasonable steps to advise its owner, or the person in control of it, of the intention to board or enter.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

I would have thought they were obliged to identify themselves to you and show necessary identification if requested before they were permitted to inspect your vessel, equipment or catch. As Slyman suggested, I'd be lodging an official complaint in writing about their behaviour. If you complain in writing they must investigate the complaint - if you complain verbally they can (and will) ignore it.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Haveta be honest n say ive always been treated with politeness n respect on every occasion ive been inspected by a Fisheries Officer but of late ive been buying a fair share of my Fish suplies from local Coop and a coupla times ive been stunned by the size of some of the whole fish theyve had up for sale!!!..AND quite openly on display!!!..
    Dont the Fisheries go inspecting those premises ??,are they for us Fishos only and a different department inspect the retailers???..
    Hence my respect for them has dwindled somewhat as whats fair for one should be fair for all...
    One might say YEP but they cant keep watch on everyone at all times but a retail outlet to so arrogantly display and sell undersized fish??...
    Or maybe there's a bycatch law allowing it??...

Im sure the fisheries get treated the same way police do like dimwits calling them pigs etc. but a bit of politeness goes along way if they dont theyr're reputation will get worse!
    Cheers Simon
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 16-08-2008 at 06:23 PM.

I've only ever been treated politely by the B&F Patrol in Moreton Bay. Just goes to show how a couple of cowboys can tarnish a reputation. I'm sure their bosses would like to hear about it. I'd definately be putting in a written complaint. Good on you for keeping your cool.

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    I would have thought they were obliged to identify themselves to you and show necessary identification if requested before they were permitted to inspect your vessel, equipment or catch. As Slyman suggested, I'd be lodging an official complaint in writing about their behaviour. If you complain in writing they must investigate the complaint - if you complain verbally they can (and will) ignore it.
    Cheers Freeeedom
    From the act: Part 8-Enforcement, Division 1-Inspectors, Section 144-Production or display of inspectors identity card, Subsection 2: An inspector may exercise a power under this act in relation to a person if -
    (a) the inspector first produces the inspectors identity card for inspection by the person; or
    (b) the inspector has the inspectors identity card displyed so that it is clearly visible to the person

and

subsection 3: However, if for any reason , it is not practicable to comply with subsection 2, the inspector must produce the identity card for inspection by the person at the first reasonable opportunity.

Like Freedom says, by complaining in writing it has to be investigated, by keeping a copy for yourself you have evidence of the correspondance, by complaining both to the district manager of the office they came from, and to the head office, the district manager is copping it from two sides: a public complaint in writing, and also a "please explain?" from his superior.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

i was pulled up at ramp at mooloolaba last week
    they were polite and asked if they could go thru my boat
    they asked for my masters ticket which i showed them
    only to get a phone call next day to say it was obsolite
    had to get new one before fishing again.i had bit of trouble getting all qualifications with so short of time so i downgraded my ticket to a restricted coxswains
    now legal again they could have thrown the book at me but were good as my ticket did say pepetual

pete

Yep, always had pleasant meetings with them myself.

To me it sounds like someone dobbed you in and told porky's for some unknown reason. (did you put anyone's nose out of joint up there????)
    That might explain why they came on so strong.

But then again, even if some swine did want to cause trouble for you, The fisheries boys should have at least shown some decorum and their ID's at least.

I'd be writing a letter as well.

Cheers.

I was inspected on the water at Caloundra on Saturday. Couple very friendly and relaxed fellas. Course all was ok - might have been different if they found anything wrong. The interesting bit was when they asked if I had a boat licence. I said yep and that was good enough for them.

Once They asked to me reverse upto there boat and for a split second I had the motor the wrong way(under no thrust, just put into reverse) and then i heard "well now we know you dont have a license." and the attitude continued, looked like somebody showing power off to a new guy.

All other times been fine.