Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $400 Budget for Mackeral/Tuna Combo- Suggestions??

Re: $400 Budget for Mackeral/Tuna Combo- Suggestions??

Thanks for the help guys, has become a little clearer, and with so many options a little more confusing he he. Best I take a trip and go and spend some dough, with the great pointers you chappies have given, thanks heaps.

Jeremy, cant make it down on Thursday night, was planning a fish on Friday morning, but the weather is looking worse as the week progresses, what days are you down there?

Michael

Hi Mick, check out the Nitro Viper ... 6-8kg 7ft & will chuck an unweighted 4" plastic or up to 60g slug ... pretty much purpose built for the job if not a little pricey at $300.

Ta
    Matt

daiwa tierra 4000 with a tierra rod 701 mhfs its rated about 5 - 8kg or there is a heavier rod 6 - 10kg

okuma efs60 and any nice 8kg rod will catch plenty of mackeral and tuna

not very often at the moment mate, lots of uni and not alot of hours on the payroll. Jindalee is a bit of a drive to get to capalaba anyway. i've got this weekend off and then next thursday and saturday i'm working.

Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    Hi Mick, check out the Nitro Viper ... 6-8kg 7ft & will chuck an unweighted 4" plastic or up to 60g slug ... pretty much purpose built for the job if not a little pricey at $300.

Ta
    Matt
    he is right. the nitro viper has been desined 4 this purpess and is a beautiful rod that will cast a tiny slug a mile yet still be able to rip a stump out of the ground. im saving 4 one now. id keep saving dude and get one and fit a certate to it and you will never look back. i havent caught that many tuna but i have smashed a lot of macs in the past and all the mac's where caught on a abu 6500's and 7000's and a shimano charter special on a custom made willson 6/8kg 6/6 barra rod and a 8kg 7 uglystick. hope that helps a bit
    Last edited by nuggstar; 13-03-2008 at 04:55 AM.
    figjam :wink:

how would one of these nitro viper's compare to say a t-curve mac spin or 702 spin.
    I am interested in getting into the tuna scene a bit more and find my live fibre 7' 15-24kg and 6500 baitrunner no good for chucking slugs and plastics long distances (or even medium distances!! lol)

What class of rod a people using are the 10-15kg one too heavy?

I am thinking a stradic of some discription would be a good start for a reel but the viper and t-curves are all similar costs so wadyareckon?

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Ammo79; 13-03-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Probally on the heavier side but anyways

1)REEL Baitrunner 6500B (or 4500) $150 locally after much price matching or just import it.
    ROD Shimano Beastmaster 10-15kg 6-10kg 6'6" $50 mart all sports

2) REEL Shimano Torium 14/16/20/30 Import landed for $190
    ROD Shimano Beastmaster 10-15kg or 6-10kg 6'6" $50 mart all sports

Thats coming way in under budget. You could look at F1 Stradics or Trinidads for the overhead.
    Last edited by Webby08; 13-03-2008 at 10:52 PM.