Thread: do you guys build rods privately?

do you guys build rods privately?

im sorta talking myself into starting rod building but atm im not able to invest in all the gear.

i was wondering if you guys build rods for fisho's on this site?

i have been loking at hastings blanks as ive been told they are ment to be pretty $hit hot for there price?is this right?

i was wanting to put those nice ALPS(spell?) guides on it too?what quality do u place those at compared the the ever so popular alconites just to give me a quide on price?

i also like those camo foam rod grips (split but type) over cork atm as the cork gets dirty to easily.what are your opinions on these?

ohh btw rod will be about the 4-7kg for tuna,macka,larger snapps etc.braided line will be used.is there a site/shop u can recomment to get this blank?or even have the actuall rod code?

oh btw if anyone is intersted in building this rod for me ill supply all the gear u want me too and pay for your labour up front before the job is done. please pm me if keen..

i will be teaming it up with either a 300 luvias or 3000 advantage
    Last edited by cobia; 10-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Re: do you guys build rods privately?

Take the plunge and give it a shot yourself..... You dont need to outlay big $$$ to get started... I started with a couple of small wheels glued to a piece of timber and turned the rod by hand....

I'm a newly converted Hastings fan.... If you give Peter at GCCR (importer of Hastings) a yell he is a big help when it comes to blank selection.

For the other bits and pieces have a look at http://www.rodworks.com.au Ross would have everything you are after..

The ALPS guides are every bit as good as Fuji's (well, the ones I've used anyway!). I'm using the ones made with 316 stainless steel and absolutely no corrosion on them after a year. Hastings make excellent blanks no question, but "for their price", well, there aren't many blanks in their price range, cause they're pretty $$$$. They are pretty light though...

Mate

I have been building rods for 15 years and the cost for me to build one for someone against a rod that can be bought at BCF or A Mart for the average fisho there is no contest I am to dear.
    The average fisho cannot really afford a four hundred dollar rod then a decent reel on top of that.

Ken

Agree with Ken, My rods start at $500 but not really an issue because blokes/girls that want a custom rod know that is what they have to pay. I would give it a try myself if I was you as the rewards you get out of fishing with a rod you made yourself outweighs any rod you can buy off the shelf. I sell starter rod kits at the shop I work in for about $65 and that gives you a cheap blank, guides, grips, real seat and butt cap. All you need is thread and epoxy and we help you with any questions etc you have. If after the first rod you think it is something you would like to get into THEN spend the money on the best components you can afford and make that super special rod you've always wanted.
    Cheers, Jan.

Cobia, As a newby at rod building...I feel somebody should warn you....it is totally addictive!!!......but it's all worth it.... have a crack at it I reckon....look forward to seeing ur creation on here...cheers, Robbie

I am currently building a rod that is aimed at snapper plastics rated 4-8kg 7' long, split grips in cork with Batson Al Oxide guides and a Batson Forecast SB843 blank. All the guides are wrapped just waiting on the buttwrap CP to cure out (had to use that evil speed stuff as I have black and white nect to each other - really need to look at getting some NCP white). Total build cost in parts is around $130. I have about 4-5 hours in it so far with another hour or so to go. I guess this would be a $400ish rod then. It is for a cousin though so he's getting it cheap. Bloody nice rod though, and I think I'll be building myself a couple!

Gear investment - absolute minimum (you can do it with less but it is mind taxing)

Pair of V blocks (two pieces of 19x100 pine nailed into a T shape with a 'V' cut in the top and lined with stick on felt
    couple of paint brushes
    spool of thread (black 850m from spotlight is $6.20 and doesn't require colour preserver)
    small file for shaping guide feet
    24 hour araldite (not perfect but does the job)
    5 minute araldite for the tip
    masking tape
    Rod Coat (can get 'Classic Coat' from BCF for $20)
    Couple of small paintbrushes
    razor blades

I use a shot glass to mix final coat and pour onto an upturned jam jar.
    I use a teaspoon handle to burnish threads as one I have has a perfect profile.

Then you just need a few hours of time to put into it. It is hard for me to add up my time as I just do a bit here and there with no real long stretches sitting at the rod. Basic thread stuff is all pretty easy to get a grip on, and there is plenty of internet information and videos on how to do it.

By all means get into it and build yourself a rod but if you are planning this as a hobby, which for many of us does get extremely addictive, you need some decent equipment. I'm not saying you need a top of the range rod lathe but you do need some basic gear. I built myself a rod lathe which consists of an 8' base of 1/2" by 5" pine. I put some aluminium angle on each side. I built my rod holders out of 3 blocks of pine which fit neatly between the angle and mounted caster wheels on top. I can move the blocks anywhere I want in the length of the base. I bought a microwave motor and mounted it into the end of the base. This provides the perfect speed to have your rod rotating when the finish is drying. All up, about $30-$50.

To begin with only buy spools of thread which you want to use. As you get the bug your thread library will grow. Get some decent epoxy and some brushes and thats about it. You can make do with a few other things you'll find around the house.

If you don't have the time or patience and you want something "one off" be prepared to pay for the time, the fittings and the experience of the custom builder. Look around there are some good ones out there who will build just what you are looking for.

The Hastings blanks are awesome and they don't have to be super expensive. Depends on whether you opt for the dual helix construction of the GUSA and United series or go for the single construction Pioneer series. You pay for what you get. I personally really like the dual helix stuff, especially the GUSA blanks. If you are interested in a custom rod send me a message and I'll give you some stuff to check out.

Regards
    Mark

Greetings all!

Sorry to say that building my first and only rod (black beauty) was interesting but not that much fun. I'm afraid I'm not addicted, although it was a challenge.

However..... I just used the beast for the first time this evening and there is a big buzz when using a good rod that you, yourself have built. I would sleep with this one under my pillow if the bed was big enough1

Cost is the factor for me. I will build another rod at some point in the near future. Can't see myself paying through the nose when I can build for much less AND get that buzz!

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Wait until you build a few rods and they keep getting better and better with each one. Then some body says, "Will you build me one." Suddenly you are building more and more and maybe even selling the occassional one. This is for me, where the real buzz starts. You keep pushing the limits to get better and better. Whether it's the thread art, handles, feather inlays, EVA inlays or weaves and suddenly you may end up even displaying your rods at a show. Most builders develop their own particular style and specialties. Cost, at this stage, isn't a factor when you are trying to build one off truely "Custom" rods for people who appreciate something hand made and unique. If you don't want to pay for the quality and individuality of a cutom made rod, build your own or shop at Big W and buy a $100 combo made in Taiwan.

Regards
    Mark