Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best braid for barra

Re: Best braid for barra

PNG - largest spool of YGK Jig Man Ultra x8 Dyneema 44lb available?

How would thi sline go for trolling (large pelagics) and what is diameter?

Splash

thougths anyone?

Alright I think I'll go with either bionic or fins.
    Either will cost around $30 for 150 m.
    This will get me started.
    Some of the other brands like jigman sound great but realistically do I need to spend more on line than the reel just to catch barra?
    I'll just use my little overheads with mono for trolling.

Thanks for the help.Cant wait for the floods to recede and try and catch a barra.
    PNG,mate that's a ripper you have there.

Scott

Splash, I use Gorilla Braid for a number of reasons.

It lays across the water almost like fly line

great visibility of the line when casting

light through the air and able to achieve very good accuracy when casting

Tough enough to tackle big queenies, Spaniards, Big Barra (best yet 116cm on 30lb Gorilla)

Easy to do knots with, doesn't slip like some other brands

Extremely durable, have had the same braid on 2 of my reels for over 6 years now, with very little sign of deterioration.

I hunt high and low for this stuff and when I get the chance I grab hold of it.
    Fillet and Release Squad

Hi mate, i use 20-30lb fire line on all my gear, over heads flicking and trolling and egg beaters for bottom bouncing.
    Tie it off with a doule uni knot to my 50lb 10X leader of about 3ft and a quick release clip at the end of that for fast lure changes and i have never lost a fish due to line breaks, bites or knots.
    I almost got pulled overboard in the HIncinbrook onc day, though i was snaged tightend the drag right up then it just took off only had my legs still in the boat when the hooks pulled that was 20lb.
    Becareful with you knots too some briads work with some knots when others wont i found that out thru trial and error hense why i now only use fireline i know my knots work well with it.
    The lighter the line the more drag and a lighter touch.

I'd use mono for Barra's as they'll take you into the sticks alot and rub through braid easily. Use 15-15lb mono

Cheers Tom

YGK over Bionic...to tell yu the truth don't know as I haven't tested out bionic yet.
    Before discovering the YGK Jig Man Dyneema I must have tried at least six other types but just didn't like the characteristics. I find the Jig Man easy to cast; it's nice & smooth (quite tubular) and supple with very low memory. It works fine on the troll, is easy to tie leaders on to and I've caught plenty of quality fish since I started using it around 3 years ago. Hence I've had no need to try anything else.

Most of what I have been using up to now has been the YGK Jig Man Power Hunter (I think its a x4 four strand dyneema and it's cheaper that x8)
    The Ultra x8 is fairly new on the market and I am yet to prove its reliability & consistency over the Power Hunter.

I was using 52lb a lot but some mates were landing quite decent fish using other brands of lower breaking strain - down to 30lb. I then dropped to the 20kg mark (on the spool they say it is 44lb maximum) as opposed to 24kg (52lb).

If you look at the Japan Tackle site they should have the YGK Power Hunter 100% Dyneema on sale for only US$19.00 per 100m spool. That's less than 30 bucks Oz so at that price, at least worth a test. In the meantime I'll also give the Bionic a bit of a burst later on to see how it compares with the Jig Man - that I consider tried & proven.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Thanks mate. Are the spools connected so I can obtain around 600m in one hit?

If your refering to the Gorilla Braid, bigest I have seen (Rare) is 1000yds, but I frequently get it in 300yds spools, its worth the search
    Fillet and Release Squad

Hi again,

The YGK spools are connected. The Power Hunter x4 version is great line as I've explained in the above threads. It comes in a good range of breaking strains.
    I just sussed out the Japan tackle site and the pricing in $USD is as follows per 100m spool:

(YGK Compact) 8lb $13; 10lb $12; 16lb $11; 21lb $10; 15lb $10;

(YGK Power Hunter) 35lb $19; 44lb $19; 52lb $19; 66lb, 80lb, 90lb, 110lb all $23

POSTAGE is USD$5.00 per two spools so quite cheap overall for quality line.

See following blurb pasted from Japan Tackle website::::

YGK Power Hunter braided lines (PE spectra) (soft body, thin coating)
    PE, polyethylene braided line is the revolution line to have almost 0 stretch with the maximum sensitivity. The diameter is about a third of monofilament lines, and weight ratio is 0.98 lighter than water. The must for fishing farther than 30yds casting or vertical fishing from boat. Adding to the great profiles of the PE braided lines, the YGK Power Hunter is colored by every 10meter (11yds). Also every 1 and 5 meter, color marking is added. Quality is proven. We recommend you add at least 2ft monofilament leader to use these PE braided lines to exploit the best performance of the line. Made in Japan.

See http://www.japantackle.com/Lines/Power_hunter.htm

The YGK Ultra x8 is an advanced version of the same style of line (but more expensive).

Cheers, png
    Last edited by PNG1M; 16-03-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Thanks fo rthe extra effort PNG!

So much cheaper than Austrlaian suppliers - unfortunately...

S[;ash

Hey Splash,

I aint quite done yet...I must be on a roll...see below for the Japan Tackle blurb about the Ultra x8. I checked the details and it is currently available in 200m spools as follows:

33lb Mono equivalent 6lb Diameter in mm 0.235 Price USD$95 (ouch)
    47lb " " " 8lb " " " 0.285 Price USD$82
    62lb " " " 12lb " " " 0.33 Price USD$67

I couldn't really comment on how effective this line might be for trolling for pelagics as it was originally designed for vertical jigging. Then it became known for its good castability. In casting & trolling for barra & bass it's fine but trolling out in the wide blue yonders I couldn't be sure...

See blurb below: (and no, I don't work for Japan Tackle..! I just like the line.)

YGK Ultra Jig Man X8 braided lines (PE spectra, Ultra Dyneema, super premium) (soft body, thin coating)
    Among the braided lines in market, this Ultra Jig Man X8 has the smoothest surface and the smallest line diameter. It has 40% more maximum strength compared to standard spectra braided lines in the same diameter. The material is upgraded to Ultra Dyneema, and the line is constructed by 8 strands. The small diameter line is essential for deep water jig fishing, where thinner lines will cut through current to reach target range faster. The diameter is about a fifth of monofilament lines, and weight ratio is 0.98 lighter than water. Adding to the great profiles of the PE braided lines, this line is colored by every 10meter (11yds). Made in Japan.
    Last edited by PNG1M; 16-03-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo

Cool Re: Best braid for barra

Well I just treated myself to a new Shimano Curado. Fishing Monduran and Awoonga Barra. I have always settled for 20 or 30lb braid and never had problems and I have pulled in the odd magic metre fish.

Now the question is. I am spooling the new reel, I have 30lb and 50lb braid in the cupboard. I know many who are going the 50lb, but do we think it is really necessary.

Steve B What do you reckon? you seem to be there more than most.

thanks PNG

Darylive,

thanks for dropping me into this thread!! I have been quietly reading it an learning heaps. Thanks to PNG and Lavinge for their info on Gorilla braid and YGK, very usefull and would be definatly worth a try for OS impoundment barra and wild ones too.

I am currently in a bit of a test mode with braid, trying to find whats suits me the best for impoundments, points, timber etc.

heres what I have-
    1.- Abu REVO STX with 30 FINNS - great line, casts great, looses flouro colour, but I like that. Never busted, good knot strenght.
    2.- 2 x Team Daiwa Advantage super tuned - 1 with 40lb and one with 50lb Nitlon PE. Stiff line at first but gets better with age, a little thicker IMO than other PE braids, again I dont mind as it adds to its excellent abrassion resistance around the timber. never busted in trees ect. Casts great as loosens up with age. I personally like the 40lb better for alround purposes.
    3. - Daiwa Zillion with 44lb Yamatoyo PE (blue) Bit dearer than most, but worth the cash. Casts better than any other line out of the box IMO. Thin PE, Has busted once in a straight line hit on a big fish (braid is known to do this), has landed plenty of others easilly.

ALL reels are matched with EGrell rods....cant rate them highly enough. I'll probably change reels and braid over the years.....but I wont be changing rods. They are just prefect for these impoundment barra (and all types of fishing)

Darylive

My pick for the money Vs Satisfaction would be 40lb nitlon PE, mainly because its in between 30 -50lb which covers more bases. You sound like a pretty competant angler from your previous posts, so you could easilly get away with 30lb at Monduran, as long as its quality braid.

I wish more companies would put out 40lb stuff, most seem to jump from 30 to 50 which is a big step IMHO.

cheers steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 17-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.