Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best braid for barra

Re: Best braid for barra

Thansk Chewy.

Always great to obtain different poitns of view and I must say I am suprised to learn of people trolling with braid - so it must be not al lthat bad..

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Scott - do u get better lure action when trolling with braid?
    No idea, though I do use a rod length of leader and snaps (for ease of changing) I would imagine any benefit (if any) in lure action from using braid would be eaten up and then some from using a snap, but still manage to get fish so I've never had a problem. Most of my trolling has been done with the rod with fireline and it has performed very well for me.

I should mention the not ALL my rigs have braid, I do have a 24kg setup used for both bottom bashing and trolling that has 50lb Platypus pretest mono. Though i haven't done much trolling with this, I haven't raised a fish doing so.

Watch your rod tip when trolling with braid. You will see every pulse of that lure(talking bibbed lures)
    When the pulse stops, you will know you have a piece of weed or something has hit the lure and it is not tracking correctly.
    Watch your rod tip when trolling with mono and your rod is lifeless. This is because the stretch in the mono has taken all the action out of the lure.

If you get weed on the front of it now, you could travel a long way thinking everything is ok.

would a Tcurve Medium (10-15kg) rod be too flexible at tip to distinguish this lure action at tip?

Dont get confused here splash.
    I'm enquiring about inshore trolling for barra in the bays and creeks.(because I have not done it before)
    Trolling for macky's using big laser pro 190's etc there is no problem seeing the pulsing rod tips on 10-15kg rods using mono.No prob's at all and yes reggy is correct you will notice this stop when fouled with crap though even with mono.
    Last edited by disorderly; 13-03-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Splash.
    For pelagic trolling try both,if you like,and see what you prefer.
    In the photo below of a solo reef trip I bagged out about lunchtime last year.
    Nanny's all on braid.
    Spanish and shark Mackeral all trolled up on mono.(Every one hooked I landed)
    The trip a week or so before was identical except for one less shark mackeral and was funny because i took my old man out for only his second ever reef trip and he failed to hook a fish though I bagged out on nanny's and spanish.
    For trolling Mono's a bit more forgiving for a rough fisho like me.

Scott, if your just chasing jacks and barra in the creeks you will only need a topshot(125yds) braid on top of your mono backing.thaat way you only need to fork out for a shorter amount.

Reggy, there's no need for me to watch the rod tip. when I troll for barra, its done at a very slow speed (engine just clicked in gear) and give the rod sudden jerks (much like when casting, but bigger, longer jerks) to help the lure catch up with the boat and suspend for a brief period. I find that most hits will occur when the lure has stopped 'working' and is just sitting relatively motionless, the sudden jerks I spose help to imitate a injured of skiddish baitfish and also make a bit of racket to get the attention of any predators around. But yes I do feel the lure working quite well through the rod.

most of my barra trolling isn't done in creeks, but in real close to rockwalls of the marinas and port, so close sometimes I barely miss rock just below the surface. I like the extra line capacity as every now and again, a decent GT will jump on and with only 20 or 30lb braid some of these fish go off like the clappers.
    Last edited by Scott nthQld; 13-03-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Chewy,good idea. A topshot sounds like the go.

Scott nthQld,do you try different speeds or always just idle along and in the creeks are you trying to get as close to the banks or mangroves as you can or it's not that important?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I just bought a abu 5600 c4 and an 4-8kg ugly stick at the k-mart 30% off sale.
    I intend using it for flicking lures and maybe some trolling in the creeks and around hinchinbrook for barra ,jacks etc.

What would be a suitable poundage and brand of braid for this setup?

Scott
    have a look at 15kg nitlon

I mainly troll the rockwalls around Townsville, but yeah just idling along and as close in as you can get. Some times when the fish are hard to find try doing laps of the same stretch, just working your way out little by little on each lap, find this works on low tide on a hot day when the fish might be in some deeper, cooler water, Also has the benefit of finding any rocky bars, structure or deepholes in the middle of the creek that you might want to drop a bait onto later.

I like to use a lure that will dig up to bottom everry now and then, just to stir things up, many swear by using flatz rats and deep tilsans. I've had most success at night using a bomber lure in the bright green/yellow colour, every time I have used that lure while trolling at night, I have picked up at least 1 fish

Hey Scott, I mainly use Berkley Gorilla Braid, hard to get in OZ but I regularly find it in the USA. I use the Camo stuff 35lb and 50lb. Seems a little excessive but no matter where I fish, rockwall, reef, shoals or trolling, I find it can handle big stuff like spaniards etc and still be sensitive enough to feel Bream and Grunter.

THis braid has got my young fella 2 club records in his time fishing with it.
    Fillet and Release Squad

best luink for Berklry Gorilla Braid?

Why have you chosen this brand over others (like Bionic Braid)?

SPlash

My vote would be YGK Jig Man Ultra x8 Dyneema 44lb (although there is a cheaper x4 strand YGK Power Hunter version).
    You can get the lines lighter than 44lb if you want - or heavier.
    I order them online from Japan Tackle.
    They are colour coded every five metres so handy when trolling to know exactly how much line is out. And if jigging a deep hole you can tell how deep the hole is.
    With mine I use Seaguar 50lb fleuro leader. I've caught plenty of black bass and barra when fishing in PNG and currently I wouldn't even bother trying any other line. Works for me.....!
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

png - why have u chosen ygk over bionic braid?