Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking great Pic's

Re: Taking great Pic's

If you want pics that can be published you will still need a sharp photo. Dad was highly regarded as a photographer but still followed the same simple rule when shooting. Press don't jab. Most jerno's will take heaps of photos and only get one good one, that’s why I recommend at least 4 pics of the same subject. 0ne of the earlier replies said to fill the shot with just the subject. I like to have quite a bit of background to work with. This way when it comes time to edit you can choose then what you want. You can always crop and edit but adding is imposable. Once again that’s why I have my cam set on the highest quality setting.

Attachment 22679
    Attachment 22682
    in these photos i was able to crop the unwanted crap from it to have a larger image of my boy trying to destroy my rods.
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Dont agree 100%

Amateurs are still able to take 'Magazine quality' shots....

I have a mate who writes for Mags who uses a 10 megapixel camera which many people have these days.

Its just about paying attention to certain aspects like

1.Not having blood coming out of the fish from a gaff shot etc...
    2.positioning yourself so the sun is on the fish showing its colours...
    3.No shadows over you..

Sure there are many more but amatuers are still able to take fantastic shots that magazines will happily accept.
    Sure professionials with the best gear will always do better.

Pete
    That exactly what I'm saying. Amateurs make up the bulk of fishing writers. However, the best photos are always taken by those with experience,regardless of the equipment they use.
    Today,there is only a small percentage of fishing writers that take truly good photos.
    Not surprisingly, its thier photos that are used most frequently for covershots or feature articles.

Steve99

holy sh8-8-t mate the boy has grown up, in no time he will be fishing with you mate,cheers bdowdy..brett

This has been brought up recently, but it's still a good point. I love catch and release, so all my fish photos are of the fish as they're lit up and I love getting that quality shot that captures the moment.

Steve99, if you would like to see a magazine with plenty of quality photos by good photographers try Fishing Wild. It only comes out twice a year but it's high quality and the articles are fantastic.

The last time this was brought up another member put this site up, which I found to be quite a good read. http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...phototips.aspx
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

I think It's important to mix it up a little. not just, hold the fish up.smile. click. got it. Use a little imagination and take some close up shots of the fishes head. Take a picture of the fish in the water.
    Think about the background to make the whole thing a pleasant looking picture.
    Actually read the camera manual, to see what it can do. Include the lure in the shot..they're usually pretty looking things.
    One last thing would be to get a hold of a program to edit your pic's. Most cameras now have software with basic editing functions.
    I work with and also have friends who are very keen pic takers. every shot they submit for competitions are touched up with photoshop.

I think is so important to get good pictures of quality captures. I have been involved in photography for quite a while now, and anyone who catches a quality fish on my boat gets a good pic to remember it by. Take these for example. This was this kids first ever Fingermark. And he has some pics to take away and remember the event by. I have given a couple of talks at various fishing clubs on taking good fishing pics, I migh have to add something to my blog at some stage.

Mal

Typed a reply to this post a wee bit earlier but when tried to post it dissapeared in dataheaven somewhere!!??...
    Anyhows here goes again ..
    I presume most would be using Compact Digital cameras and will suggest a coupla tips / pointers which may help some..
    If your camera has the Histogram feature it pays to learn how to read it and what its trying to tell you..
    "Exposure Compensation" along with your histogram will help with under/over exposure and save blowing highlights or shadows...
    Using flash to help with not only a sharper Pic but also a cleaner shot, especially shooting under your canopy with the light / daylight in the background...
    Shutter lag with compacts is common though only slight with some of the newer models so a good auto focus system helps heaps in this department save losing some of those action shots.If your camera has the abillity to manual focus this may save the day for the above...
    learn and experiment with your metering system eg; If you want to get the subject clear but they are standing under the canopy for instance and you also want to add some of the background into the Pic..Meter on the subject(spot metering if your camera has it may help here) Hold your shutter halfeway down without fully depressing it, focus and meter off your subject whilst holding that button halfeway down and then move your camera to include whatever else of the scene you wish and then fully depress the shutter..
    By no means am i a professional here lol, just an amatuer who loves his photography so thought coupla pointers may be of interest...
    And for those who's camera have the abillity to shoot in Raw Mode, learn what it means , obtain a raw converter and shoot in raw mode ..
    So much more detail can be captured though the files can end up being on the "BIG" side ..
    Anyhows nuff said ..
    Hope ive helped?? .....

Taking decent fish photos

This is one (of many) areas that I really sux at. I, on occasion, have managed to fluke some decent fish, however when we take the photos, it really doesn't do the fish justice.

What are the secrets of taking a quality photo of a fish?

Cheers
    Steve

Re: Taking decent fish photos

Have the sun over your shoulder (that's the photographers shoulder) and if possible, get everyone under a bimini or shade to reduce direct sunlight hit and even out the light spectrum.

I'm still only learning ...... but aside from having a decent camera.
    The single best piece of advice I was given was ....... use a fill in flash.

Chris

PS ..... Good topic
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

heres my basic rules

If taking a photo of someone else
    1- have the sun behind you
    2- try and fill the frame
    3- get some artistic balance, like have the horizon set in the middle

If taking a photo of yourself
    1- learn how to set the timer to say 10 secs
    2- get a cheap tripod with legs about 10cm long for $5 at a camera store
    3- use red eye reduction

My pet hate is people who hold a fish out at arms length to make it look bigger,

if the fish is worth photographing in the begining, dont hold it out.....hold it close to the body or to a reference point to show size
    because no-one will believe you if you cheated on the original shot.

Muzz

Always use flash, even in sunlight.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

malcom 1976 left hand pic has the horizon line at approx 1/3 of the pic height which follows the "arty" requirements of landscape painting, the fish can be seen properly and the fisherman is looking at his fish adoringly and not looking at the camera. The other pic does not show the whole fish and with the fisherman looking at the camera may indicate that "come on - this is getting heavy"

If the sky is very bright then the viewers eyes can be drawn to that instead of the subject

As stated by others a decent program like photoshop can help make a pic look better. There are very good discounts available for "educational" use of the like of Photoshop if you have a child doing computer courses at school. And there are versions around with a very bad dose of gravel rash - fallen from the back of a truck

Mike