Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are 4 strokes just a passing fad?

Re: Are 4 strokes just a passing fad?

I am repowering my cruisecraft and have been trying to decide on 2 stroke or 4 stroke,but have decided to go four stroke because of two main reasons.No.1 being a half cab i will still get the oil smell up in the cabin if driving into the wind and before you all jump up and down saying theres no oil smell with the new 2 strokes im not taking the chance because i carn`t stand that smell.No.2 i just like the idea of not having to buy 2 stroke oil for my outboard all the time.The lower power on holeshot doesn`t worry me as im not doing any bar crossings ect.Im not one to say one`s better then the other one because each has there good points.Cheers Paul

Yep, them Direct Injection 2 stroke's are so reliable that nearly all production cars are made with them now...

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

- Darren

Actually, there are a number of 2 stroke diesel trucks about.

Yeah the thought of not having to put any 2 stroke oil in ur outboard is very satisfying. Cant beat that. Arent the di's dearer than 4's??

Is a good question but i doubt 4 stroke is a passing fad. They are going to be like chosing a car, some like Ford and some like Holden. Be the same with 4st vs 2st. Personally it doesnt bother me what I have as long as it is in good order and wont let me down and drain the piggy bank to quick. Currently have a 40hp merc 2st DI and the only fault that it has is the fumes when trolling but would love to get my mits on an Etec so I guess I do slide towards the 2 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Or are DI 2 strokes just an attempt to catch up!

4 strokes a FAD! ...... no, newer technology taken from the automotive industry

I'm still to hear the so called mechanical issues with 4 strokes
    Nagg
    Newer technology??
    Cmon mate get off the turps!
    EFI has been around since 1957, hardly call that latest technology.
    4 stroke engines are definately lacking behind DI engines in terms of R&D
    As far as I know, DI 2 stroke engines arent developed sufficiently for automobile/motorbike applications, due to the frequent load/no load situation. I believe a KTM has been trialing a Di engine in a offroad bike, but it's probably a fair way away

P.S. if you want to know about 4 stroke failures, talk to some of the poor blokes that owned earlier model Hondas. They may be better now, but I am pretty sure that my mates 130 wasnt the only one to need a $3000 head job just out of warranty
    Last edited by Hamish73; 07-03-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Well I have been usingb four bangers for 5 years now and I cross a very dodgy bar so you ,can cross that off a s a reason.

No way "now"will the 2 stoke ever surpass the 4 stroke as an option for outboard power. Verado has just introduced the "next" step in outboard design. Thats from a staunch 4 stoke/honda fanatic. you think etec has grunt..ha you aint seen nuthin yet! The 2 stroke has just about run itys course as far as development goes.. there aint a lot more left to explore. And who wants to spend money on technology which will be sooner or later forced out by by regulation.

4 stroke technology is simple and easier to enhance.. ie a larger road to either survive or fail.. it still remains a fact that 2 strokes find it hard to determin a lean condition...the main constitute of 2 stroke failures.

thats my take on the situation...
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

There is no comparison - dirty smelly 2 strokes They make our lakes stink and should be banded from sale !
    I have a Suzuki 140 and it light, quick and bloody good on fuel, better than those damn Etecs.

Fishing, fishing ..... bored because the wind won't let up. Hahahaha !

Good question.
    I suspect reliability, robustness and longevity will be the winner in the end. Only need to look in the motor cycle, motor vehicle (and respective racing industries) and transport industries to see what the predominant/preferred type of internal combustion engine is. The $s have been there for many years to choose and refine the best technolgy for respective applications. The sales of 2st motor cycles has decreased markedly and been overtaken by 4stroke sales. There is no doubting that the older tech 2 strokes were/are robust and long lived, but the more highly stressed DI's are another kettle of fish. Given the economies of scale for R&D and production in the 4st engine industry I suspect we will see its o/b derivative around for some time and continue to be refined, at least until the fuel source runs out.
    There are two stroke diesels about but they are old tech Detroits - they moved away from DI supercharged diesels to 4st technology about 10 years ago

Well, took a mate out the other week, his comment, got to get a 4 stroke as quiet and no smells, as those where the two reasons his wife and family didnt want to go out on the boat too much.... horses for courses, I do like the 4 strokes, some guys swear by the 2 strokes and I respect that... maybe more fishing time?
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    Actually, there are a number of 2 stroke diesel trucks about.
    BM 2 stroke diesels ahve been around for some time now.. as you would be aware.. dirty smally fuel guzling things... hard to see why they would be an asset to society.. other than pure grunt
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I think both are good engines & it's horses for courses.i've owned both & i like both di & 4 stroke.I really think it comes down to the boat & wether it can handle the extra weight on the transom of 4 strokes usually above 150 hp.from experiance i've owned 2 seafarer vagabonds 1 with 175 evinrude(not di)&1 with 200 yammy 4 stroke.whilst the 4 stroke was quiet & delivered great fuel consumption the weight of it really turned a great hull into a constant battle on the tabs to keep the hull upright not to mention a bit sluggish on bar crossings.The 2 stroke on the same hull was awsome & the boat didn't have tabs ,it didn't need them.ok it was smelly & used more fuel & oil but it was a better boat.At times in a head sea i wanted to trim the bow down when i had the 4 stroke but it never would trim in as much because of that extra little man standing on the transom(the same man that threw buckets of water in my face smithy)
    I now have a 2700 noosacat with twin 150 merc optimax's they deliver great economy &only weigh 195 kg each i'll go as far to say that i dont believe that 150 anything 4 stroke would get the boat out of the hole as quick or be any better fuel wise.I admit the opti's are louder & would cost about 50 bucks in di oil a trip.
    If i was to repower with 4 strokes which i would want 200's i would be putting an extra 130kg on the transom which i know would effect the boats performance so i would have no choice but to go with sluggish 150 4 strokes or get up & boogy with 150-200di's.
    Like i said at the start i like both engine types but until the weights come down i don't think i have a choice

cheers jason

Wouldent mind a couple of extra strokes with every bang...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    Newer technology??
    Cmon mate get off the turps!
    EFI has been around since 1957, hardly call that latest technology.
    4 stroke engines are definately lacking behind DI engines in terms of R&D
    As far as I know, DI 2 stroke engines arent developed sufficiently for automobile/motorbike applications, due to the frequent load/no load situation. I believe a KTM has been trialing a Di engine in a offroad bike, but it's probably a fair way away

P.S. if you want to know about 4 stroke failures, talk to some of the poor blokes that owned earlier model Hondas. They may be better now, but I am pretty sure that my mates 130 wasnt the only one to need a $3000 head job just out of warranty
    Hate Turps .... Methos better!
    i'm saying 4 stroke is newer technology ( as used in the car industry) .....
    Gee ..... I'm still putting my money behind large motor corporations like Yamaha , Honda ... & even Suzuki ......... rather than a snowmobile maker that rescued a dead OMC

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    I think both are good engines & it's horses for courses.i've owned both & i like both di & 4 stroke.I really think it comes down to the boat & wether it can handle the extra weight on the transom of 4 strokes usually above 150 hp.from experiance i've owned 2 seafarer vagabonds 1 with 175 evinrude(not di)&1 with 200 yammy 4 stroke.whilst the 4 stroke was quiet & delivered great fuel consumption the weight of it really turned a great hull into a constant battle on the tabs to keep the hull upright not to mention a bit sluggish on bar crossings.The 2 stroke on the same hull was awsome & the boat didn't have tabs ,it didn't need them.ok it was smelly & used more fuel & oil but it was a better boat.At times in a head sea i wanted to trim the bow down when i had the 4 stroke but it never would trim in as much because of that extra little man standing on the transom(the same man that threw buckets of water in my face smithy)
    I now have a 2700 noosacat with twin 150 merc optimax's they deliver great economy &only weigh 195 kg each i'll go as far to say that i dont believe that 150 anything 4 stroke would get the boat out of the hole as quick or be any better fuel wise.I admit the opti's are louder & would cost about 50 bucks in di oil a trip.
    If i was to repower with 4 strokes which i would want 200's i would be putting an extra 130kg on the transom which i know would effect the boats performance so i would have no choice but to go with sluggish 150 4 strokes or get up & boogy with 150-200di's.
    Like i said at the start i like both engine types but until the weights come down i don't think i have a choice

cheers jason
    Jason, the weight difference between the 200hp tec and 200hp L4 verado is only 1kg

200hp E-Tec 25" leg
    238 kg

200hp L4 Verado 239kg (527lbs) 25" leg