Thread: Fishing within 20km of Katherine NT

Fishing within 20km of Katherine NT

Hi People

I am curious about fishing options within 20km of Katherine NT. What species and abundance could one expect if fishing there? I have asked a similar questoin before but most people said the Daly, roper, victoria etc which was the obvious answer but i'd like to know if i can go fishing after work?

Thanks
    Beno

Re: Fishing within 20km of Katherine NT

hello woodchopper

i lived in katherine for eight years and it was great. the katherine river itself has some great fishing. everything from bream to barra. like all river fishing in the NT you have to put time on the water to work out the best spots but you used to be able to catch little barra off the low level bridge and one of my favourite spots to fish is where the warm water from the hot springs enters the river. there are so many little spots like that which can be found be walking the banks you don't really need a boat to find fish just pack a bag with some lures (classic barra guns and roses is a good lure up there) and walk the river. the guy that used to own the tackle shop up there Warren DeWidth is a good source of knowledge but im not sure if he is there anymore, anyway hope this hepls.

cheers shayne.

Yeah mate I'm with Shayne,have a flick around the low level and just after galloping jack's.How far is the flora river from Katherine that might be worth a look.

Dan...

Thanks for the replies. That is exactly the information i needed.

Just out of curiosity how big were the barra you guys caught around the low level. What about sooties are they around too.?

Beno