Thread: Is it rubbish?

Is it rubbish?

Trying to find an overhead for my brother to use when he comes visiting on holidays (usually twice a year) and we do some reef (BB) fishing. Vic Trading have Melaluka LD9000 overhead. Are these any good or will they blow up pretty quickly? Usually we get the usually run of reefies (pearlies, grassies, snapper, etc) but occasionally hit onto reds.

I know I could buy a TLD or equivalent, but I don't want to spend $ on something that will get used a couple of times a year.

Thanks

Re: Is it rubbish?

Can't say i have ever heard of the Melaluka's. The Penn 320/330 rod and reel combos seem to be pretty good value if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Lindsay

Yeh i bought a couple but not the type your asking about..They work fine for the few uses you will be giving them..I had bought some and have decided to give them away to people who only seem to fish 2-3 times a year..

Question Re: Is it rubbish?

A Melaluka ??? I think you answer that question for even asking it! Do your self a favour and get a good cheap combo like LINZ-74 said, at least it will last a few years of your of your brother visiting .

The Penn 320
    And they hold 500 mtres 30 pound braid no worries.

Melaluka LD9000 overhead
    A mate bought 2. They are pretty cheap looking but they reckon they have the Penn dragg washers. The Bond looks identicle, so some one is pumping out a lot of these reels.

Good drag washers are no good when the gearing doesn't work.
    The was a good article recently in BnB or QFM on whats inside the cheapy reels.

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Good drag washers are no good when the gearing doesn't work.
    The was a good article recently in BnB or QFM on whats inside the cheapy reels.
    For the price of them, I would say not much at all.

Thought as much. Thanks to those that replied. I had an Alvey combo which I can throw him on. They are reliable and excellent for what he will be doing.