Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull Shark at Colleges Crossing

Bull Shark at Colleges Crossing

Hey guys, most of you probably saw the small article in mondays Qld Times, but for those who didnt I thought I would post it up.

A 1.5m Bull shark was caught at Colleges Crossing (Ipswich) on Jan 25. The pic i have is a bit poor but it shows enough for me not to be swimming there anymore , and is a good scale being that its actually on a picnic table lol.

The caption reads, "This bull shark, which meaured in at 1.5m, was caught by 2 fisherman at Colleges Crossing boat ramp on January 25. This huge fish took more than 30 minutes to catch."

Not a bad effort if I say so myself. I've been trying for months now with no such luck lol

Cheers
    Paul

Re: Bull Shark at Colleges Crossing

Apparently,they like to get up in the fresh,to get rid of the parasites
    David

Wouldn't want to bump into that while floating on my little yellow blow up seahorse.
    I was at Lake Kurwongbah, near Petrie on Saturday, to cull some tilapia, the Lions club were there doing a cleanup. Put my fishing gear away and my young bloke and I gave them a hand....While walking around the lake with a bunch of people, one bloke stated..."wouldn't want to swim in there...Bullsharks".hmmmm how to inform someone without making them look silly. No mate, no Bullsharks in here, the tiger sharks ate them all.

havent bullies been in our waters for decades? Or is it just something recent? Because gosh, I've swum in all sorts of places 10yrs ago or so as a kid where you now hear of shark sightings.
    I'm kinda scared to swim anywhere now

They have been there for years. I wouldnt swim there.

They also go alot further up stream than you think. When the drought was in full swing a tiny bit of fresh would see them behind Ipswich at the start of the bremer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    havent bullies been in our waters for decades? Or is it just something recent? Because gosh, I've swum in all sorts of places 10yrs ago or so as a kid where you now hear of shark sightings.
    I'm kinda scared to swim anywhere now
    Decades? try millennia. Just because we've only just clued onto this doesn't mean they've only just started doing it. Recent studies on the brisbane river bullies have shown that they swim up to the top of estuaries to drop their pups. Bull sharks are the only sharks that can live in full fresh or any decent fraction of fresh indefinitely.

Hey,
    Do some homework if you like, they've been there for years, i remember front page of the paper in early 90's some crap headline like "MANEATERS IN LOCAL WATERWAY" same with the canals on the Goldie, plenty of sharks there. I was canoeing with my nephew at Colleges bout 91 or 92 and saw 3 free swimming bullsharks under the canoe in about half an hour, all bout 1m long. Nothing new there.

Matt

The river is litterally briming with them, I commonly wade and cast lures for bream and flathead from the weir all the way down to joseph brady park (junction of bremer and brisbane). It is rare to go out on the water without seeing at least one or two. I have also caught plenty of them however don't tend to chase them so much these day's. They are a beautiful creature and i hate the pricks that kill them. There is nothing better then casting lures from the bank of an early morning low tide, and seeing one of these baby's cruise up in to ankle deep water chasing mullet. The most common size i have seen is under a meter however there are a few biggy's in there too. Saying that it is a new thing is bullshit, they have always been there and in large numbers.

My sister lives at Varsity Lakes near Robina and she told about a bloke who caught a decent size one from his waterfront balcony a couple of years ago. Apparently local parents were letting their kids play in the water with their dogs. Not anymore!

There are always hundreds of bull sharks up both the Brisbane & Bremer Rivers as far as Brassall up the Bremer & the old Mt Crosby Wier up the Brisbane..

Grew up catching them in both rivers, some close to 2 meters.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

why kill it, whats there plans for a 1.5m dead bull shark?

it could'nt taste that good and it would'nt make any difference to the safty of those waters.

i once spent time working on trawlers as a young fella where one of my bosses said the only good shark is a dead shark and killed anything that even looked like one. i have seen thousands of them being killed and thrown over board. never did understand why.bren

I recon if people knew what could be in the water anywhere they wouldnt swim there.

Do you recon there arent sharks at wellington point, or thompsons beach, or wynnum.

Of course there are, they come and go........ they problay tell there kids.......don't go to colledges crossing..... I've seen people there .

After all, ststistlcaly, you have a better chance of being killed or injured by having a drink machine fall on you

cheers

I'm sorry, i'm such a novice.

Hey bchaser,

I've got a mate who targets the bull sharks so he can eat them. Apparantly they are pretty good eating and no bones to worry about. A 1.5 m bully would provide plenty of flake I reckon. I certainly hope it wasn't killed for nothing.