Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas On Catch & Release Tactics For Barra

Re: Ideas On Catch & Release Tactics For Barra

An excellent thread and fortunately I believe its catching on.
    I wonder if this applies to all fish , for example Bass , does a fish have to be large for this damage to occur from not supporting the body ? Would the possibility of causing damage be relative to the fishes body mass ? if not , I think the media needs to look at how fish handling is portrayed . Without names the cover of a Queensland monthly fishing mag has awful display of fish handling on the cover , now correct me if I'm wrong but if that was a Barra that probably wouldn't have made it in the mag let alone the cover . I flick through Tournament results and see similar stuff , whats the go there ?
    I know American Bass anglers do it , and I don't know if their survival rates differ but can Aussie Bass be treated the same ?

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

I caught a big barra at a monduran got the fish in the boat as it was hooked to well to remove hooks while in the water. Was only out of the water for less than a minute and when we tried to release it it just kepted rolling belly up . I feel it just gave up after a massive fight. As if it didn't want to live or didnt have the strength to live. Was personaly disappointed with it not living but it didn't go to waste. I have a good release rate but i feel some fish just put to much into the fight . the small ones release easy but the big ones need extra love and care.

Without names the cover of a Queensland monthly fishing mag has awful display of fish handling on the cover
    It would be nice to see some of the magazines dedicate some more pages to this very topic, being such an important aspect of catch and release fishing.
    All fish little and large need to be handled correctly if they are to be released.
    Last edited by Little grey men; 12-03-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Hey Guys,

Found this http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/ for future reference. Nice to see the national bodies getting something together, disappointing that in around the 10 years that I've been fishing the only information I've ever received on catch and release has been through other anglers!!

Matt C

"National Strategy for the Survival of Released Line Caught Fish is an initiative of the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC) in conjunction with the Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA) and Recfish Australia. The strategy aims to improve the understanding of and increase the survival rates of released line caught fish."

Matt
    When you join one of the fish tagging assoc info fish services give you copys of the best ways and proven ways to tag and handle fish for their best survival rate after capture. Maybe this pamphlet should be handed around at every comp or sent out in your yearly subscription from abt to try to get the word out a bit more effectively.
    Cheers Moggy

Quote Originally Posted by moggy1 View Post
    Matt
    When you join one of the fish tagging assoc info fish services give you copys of the best ways and proven ways to tag and handle fish for their best survival rate after capture. Maybe this pamphlet should be handed around at every comp or sent out in your yearly subscription from abt to try to get the word out a bit more effectively.
    Cheers Moggy
    Or attached to your SIP when purchased.

Good ideas guys

Matt C

Barbless hooks.

Easier out of fish. Easier out of fishers. Who cares if a couple more get away due to bad luck or poor rod work?

Great post, do the water release thing myself, and you can take a reasonable photo with the fish in the water, night or day.

Would love to see some research results on the long swim -v- the spear in method. Have seen more than a few intended 'spear ins' turn into very ugly belly floppers - perhaps the bigger the fish, the harder the dive? Another argument for leaving them in the water? Maybe a rigid pvc measure in the water if that is important?

Was there an outcome to the 'camera flash kills barra' discussion floating around here a year or so ago? Max?

Smile Re: Ideas On Catch & Release Tactics For Barra

Quote Originally Posted by artesian View Post
    Barbless hooks.

Easier out of fish. Easier out of fishers. Who cares if a couple more get away due to bad luck or poor rod work?

Great post, do the water release thing myself, and you can take a reasonable photo with the fish in the water, night or day.

Would love to see some research results on the long swim -v- the spear in method. Have seen more than a few intended 'spear ins' turn into very ugly belly floppers - perhaps the bigger the fish, the harder the dive? Another argument for leaving them in the water? Maybe a rigid pvc measure in the water if that is important?

Was there an outcome to the 'camera flash kills barra' discussion floating around here a year or so ago? Max?

Yeah mate the barbless hooks are a great option if ya don’t mind loosing a few more % of fish…… but I don’t think to many fisho’s could handle the extra losses.
    I some times give em a heap of slack & shake the rod after a run anyway to try and jump em off as it saves mucking around anyway….. Trouble is usually when ya want to throw em they stick like glue. Re the spearing back in release’ I know it can go wrong and I’ve also seen a few belly flops but it’s usually related to fear and or inexperience of the beast. Not all Barra are suited to that sort of release….. But the frisky and the rats are very suited especially when landed and de-hooked quickly. I just think the longer you have em under the thumb the more stressed they get.
    The summer months when the surface temp can be 30 ‘C it can get even worse in a lot of cases as the top of a lake can be a little stressing if swimming and fish and fatal for big barra as they need more oxygen than the smaller fish. One of our biggest causes of big barra deaths comes from trolling for them in open water and they are down were you hooked em for several reasons and one is the DO level is in there comfort zone….. Now once hooked and played for long periods they get stressed and puffed out etc…. then they usually get dragged onto a boat and sit there being starved of O2 in there system. Bit like if we had to run a race and then jump in the pool and hold ya breathe. Then even if the fisho gets it back in the drink quickly they can be still killing it while thinking there doing the right thing by swimming it on the surface for to long as the top of the dam can be a lot lower in DO than where the fish was hooked… so the sooner you can push the fish off or get it back down to where it came from the more chance of survival it has. Below is a graph of DO levels at sea level and you can see the changes reflected via temp & salinity and the higher you go in altitude the worse it gets. Now I won’t keep going on about it but a will put up a link that some may find interesting .
    The lower DO and higher temp on the top 6" will support warm water fish now worries but it's a big shock to em after a fight and being out of the comfort zone for extended periods.

Yeah not sure about the camera flash thing at night…… I did see a discussion on this a while back but I’m pretty sure they is minimal effect to the fish .

http://waterontheweb.org/under/waterquality/oxygen.html

Temp “C Conductivity uS/m (salinity mg/L)

0 14400 28800 43200 57800

(0) (9000) (18000) (27000) (36000)

0’ 14.6 13.7 12.9 12.1 11.4 mg/L

5’ 12.8 12 11.3 10.7 10.1 mg/L

10’ 11.3 10.7 10.1 9.5 9.0 mg/L

15’ 10.1 9.5 9.0 8.5 8.1 mg/L

20’ 9.1 8.6 8.2 7.7 7.3 mg/L

25’ 8.2 7.8 7.4 7.1 6.7 mg/L

30’ 7.5 7.2 6.8 6.5 6.2 mg/L

35’ 6.9 6.6 6.3 6.0 5.7 mg/L
    http://www.waterwatch.org.au/publica...e4/oxygen.html This link has a better graph!

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Thanks for that link les, very interesting read.

Gday Steve, any more progress on signage at the ramp re release techniques???
    cheers
    brian

Brian,

I have to take the proposed sign to the next MASA meeting so they can check it out and fund the making of them. They are keen to do it. It just has to go through the motions. Things dont move to quick round these parts if ya know what I mean

I DEFINATELY want it done before the spring, before the hoards get here and the water warms up. (refer les's previous post). Thats when most of the carnage will begin again.

I will post my ideas for tips before I take it to the meeting. I want to get feed back from everyone here. I have to keep it simple, basic and to the point or people just wont read them.

cheers steve

cheers mate, by the way, do you have a link/contact for MASA, thinking bout joining up, I get so much out of the place, would be nice to give something back

Smile Re: Ideas On Catch & Release Tactics For Barra

Gday Steve,

Good luck with the signage project on the dam mate'
    I really hope it goes ahead….. Even if only 50 % of fisho’s read it, I still think it will make a big impact on the fishery.

Cheers Les

Just bringing it back for Johnny Roger
    Last edited by Magella; 19-05-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Always Think Like A Fish - No Matter How Weird It Gets