Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mickyj's holiday pics

Mickyj's holiday pics

I am starting holidays tomorrow and I will post pics in this thread.
    Two small fish from today
    very Small Bream

Re: Mickyj's holiday pics

small Salmon Trout
    Last edited by Mickyj; 02-03-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Ok Monday 3rd March .
    Didn't have much time to Fish this morning had to go to an appointment.But I did manage to spend an 1 1/2 hours wading .When I arrived at the lake it was a beautiful calm morning hardly a breath of air.
    Waded in after my third cast the circles appeared I am assuming the bait fish were back .And I cast out over them and stripped my fly back towards me .Assuming I had stripped my fly past the fish I lifted my rod and line up and did the perfect TROUT STRIKE
    Without knowing I had a perfect 23 cm Salmon Trout on my fly.Once me and the fish worked out what was going on a great fight got my heart started and the fish on the shore.

After this fish the wind sprung up and I moved to the other side of the lake but the wind was no better.I did lose 6 small Bream and I had another of those "CRAB" like bites on this side.
    So that was my morning a perfect way to start my day and the ST'S are getting bigger.
    Cheers
    Tightlines until next time

a small fish is better than no fish
    figjam :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    a small fish is better than no fish
    The best thing is the Salmon trout are getting bigger .The first was in the port river much like the first one in this topic size wise.
    All three fish caught on my very own Rubber band bait fish imitation fly with shinny eyes .The eyes matching the shine coming off the bait fish scales all by accident
    Watch this space I have my fingers crossed for bigger fish well any fish is a good fish in my books .

Tuesday March 4th
    Well it was very hard this morning the water was like ice to start with and the air temp was hot but i put in three hours of walking and casting.
    I lost a heap of small bream and i had three more of those soft bites.All the soft bites occurred while casting amongst the thousands of tiny bait fish .These bait fish were in huge numbers along one of two beaches I fished at west lakes today .
    The two fish I managed to land both dispelled that myth about fish not getting caught after 9am the ST Was caught at 9. 10 am and the Bream at 9.40.
    OK here is the 21 cm Salmon trout she put up a nice fight

Here is the 22 cm Bream that took my fly while i was talking to a lady with2 Scotty dogs about fly fishing in west lakes .and she said that proves you can catch fish fly fishing in west lakes.And if you look carefully to can see the rubber band fly in the breams mouth and one of the shinny eyes .

Wednesday March 5th

Got to the Lake this morning and watched tiny Bream leap out of the water and try to catch dragonflies.Thinking I am in here .I set about finding some bait fish which of course I did
    Of course when I found them the wind sprung up which made it hard .So doing what I had been doing all week casting at the edges of the schools I got ZERO .I did lose a few tiny BREAM and had about 3 more of those soft touches/bites but still nothing.
    Thinking all my posting on here had offended the fishing gods or that I was getting a bigger head (than I already have ) for catching a few fish it was donut day for Micky .
    With that thought in mind I wandered out of the water sat down and had a drink from my water bottle .Thinking I'll head back towards the car and have a fish the gulls went off again with the bait fish.
    Instead I wandered towards where a mullie was caught last wednesday and do what you do Mick cast for bream.Waded out and cast out the worst cast of the day it was a bit like the wind had changed directions mid cast.Anyway with disgust I lifted the rod and line and you guessed it I TROUT STRIKED again but a tiny Bream this time.

So donut averted I put the little guy back and tried the same spot again a few missed small bream I moved up the beach .

Couple of casts in this spot this little guy inhaled my fly good.

and here is the classical mickyj view

Returned that little one back to the water after some minor surgery to his mouth .And continued up the beach casting at the gaps in the seaweed beds.
    When suddenly all hell broke lose bait fish bashing my legs larger fish chasing them.I thought Jaws had arrived with fish of all sizes jumping out of the water.
    I turned and tried to cast into the wind a short cast into the deeper water and with my fly just sinking they were at it .Suddenly I was on trying not to let anymore line out walking backwards picking up line .I slightly lifted my fly rod and my leader not my 6 lb not my 7lb but my 15lb leader broke
    With the chance I had just lost the biggest fish of fly fishing life I got back to shore to re rig my leaders .My 15lb line was at home and my 7lb line was not behaving itself I attached 6lb line onto what was left of the 15lb line .But the fish were gone .
    So I headed back towards my car .Stopped part way back and looked in the water being higher I could see the huge bait fish school.I looked around and thought yep why not.
    Into the water my fly went Salmon trout/ Salmon of every size came to my fly .I did hook into some of the larger ones they spat the fly just as quick as they took it . But I managed one small ST he got covered in sand and I washed him but he didn't want a pic taken but I took one anyway

Once I got him back into the water they were gone again .
    So I headed off and decided to go home and count my blessings .what was heading for a donut day eneded with my heart getting a workout and some fish caught.

Rest day tomorrow taking the wife out for lunch and making another fly up and fixing my leaders

Cheers

March 7th
    Well what a hard hot morning I must be getting old I kept needing to stop and have a drink of water .
    Anyway it was very hard morning trying to find the fish .I would have lost all up 6 Small to tiny Bream .The bait fish were there nothing much appeared to be hunting them .
    I ended up at the spot I caught the tiny bream Wednesday first cast produced another lost fish .
    So standing knee deep in water I stopped casting and watched the green stripped bait fish .Suddenly they moved on mass towards me not the giant flight they did on the wednesday but it got my attention.So I cast in the direction they appeared from .
    And Straight away this 21 cm to the fork Salmon Trout took my fly and put up a very good fight .I even had to tell myself to keep the rod low to the water .I was not losing another fish today.

Not sure if it stands out on the pic but the area around his front fins was very dark.Not sure if a bigger fish had had ago at him in his past . Or a parasite perhaps.

A few more spots tried some monster Bream scared away and that was my 2 1/2 hours this morning.Lots of walking and casting and not many hungry fish.

Cheers until Sunday.

Monday March 10 Adelaide cup holiday

Well what can i say Sunday turned into a donut day where I dropped 11 fish .
    So with determination I set forth to do battle once more with the denizens of the deep .I settled(hint there guys) on the area I have been fishing for the last week .
    I started at one beach NOTHING .I moved onto the next beach where I had been having so much luck. So many bait fish moving through the beach nothing not one follow take or anything .
    So after 1 1/2 hours of walking/wading/ and casting in the area i had fished all week .I decided to head off to the other side of the lake .On the way unsteady Micky scrambled down some rocks and waded .Standing on a submerged rock and casting I thought what do I do if I do get a hook up here .
    So thats when I decided to walk to the other side of the lake .Now this is the side I have spent months and months fishing .
    Waded out wind at my back, 1st cast nothing 2nd cast nothing third cast nothing Fourth cast(I had been slowly moving the fly further out over the water) bang I am on .so almost two hours after I started I had this nice 21 cm bream on and landed

After this fish I moved up this beach further and dropped another 3 small/tiny bream. It was after 10 am now and starting to get to hot for me so I headed home to my air con .

Cheers

i think im going to have to try and tie one of your flys. keep em coming dude
    figjam :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    i think im going to have to try and tie one of your flys. keep em coming dude
    hahaha Nuggstar I had a message from someone else from another forum wanting me to send them 2 .
    Its so easy to tie
    tie a fake fur tail to a hook
    cut a rubber band in half tie one end to the hook.
    Take out of the vice cut the thread wind on the rubber band super glue it
    If you have eyes super glue them on.
    Paint the body green with green nail polish if you don't have eyes black texta two on.
    Then clear varnish body
    then catch fish well the fish part is the tricky bit .

Cheers

Awesome - I still don't know how people fly fish???

Cheers Tom

Tom I taught myself to fly fish picked up a few pointers along the way from other fly fishers and DVD's. Still to catch a really big fish .I have become addicted to it ,even today after 4 hours of 1 fish strike at the end of my session (and having a run in with a railway bridge ),will go back tomorrow for another crack(not near the rail bridge).
    there is nothing like the feel of a fish on the end of my flyline .

Cheers
    Mick
    From the dark side of fly fishing in the salt.

Mon 17 March

Its been awhile since I posted in this .Have been having donut days etc.

So after yesterdays donut day and only being able to fish one side of the lake due to dragon boat racing. I decided to try the other side of the lake.
    Waded out to spot 1 .First cast standing in the water counting and bang fish on.Very small fish and a short run it spat the hook.
    With thoughts of another donut day I continued on.Wading and walking and casting all along this side of the lake.Well after an hour of this nothing nada nyet!!.So with only a few follows I decided to hike to the other side of the lake.
    With beach one being used as a swimming pool I decided to head to my Salmon beach .So after a quick chat with a local (keeping in the good bookslol) I waded into the water.
    Cast 1 not my best cast left it there .BANG fish on this time it was well and truly caught in the top lip .
    Landed one tiny Bream once again camera problems or the Camera had problems with me lol.

With my spirits raised I kept going wading and walking to no avail.I lost three more fish .And on my way back down the beach a brown shape appeared behind my fly and i swear it was a nice size Flathead.Something for me to work on .
    Drought broken bring on tomorrow .Today was a very hard 3 hour session the heat and that damn wind.
    Cheers

Tuesday 18 march
    Well what can I say .I almost climbed back in the car and drove home with the wind .
    I decided to walk to my Salmon Beach and have a try anyway .Its not that bad in a wind when you wade as long as you can turn your back to it .So thats exactly what I did . It was a lot colder than yesterday.

Fourth cast on this beach and I am stripping the line back .Tap tap I stop the taps stop and tap its on . And I managed to land this SMALL
    Bream

I continued on my way up the beach with not much action .At one spot I waded out and a school of baitfish hit my legs and a fish of a nice size jumped out the water .I cast at the area but nothing had a go at my fly.
    Wandered off to have a sit down and a drink of water .Noticed a guy further up the beach .After a nice chat and a few casts i headed back towards my car and the next beach.

A few minutes aftera strong small grab .and a very very tiny Bream took my fly

About ten minutes after this fish the wind was pushing my casts in towards the seaweed bank near the shore .I was standing thinking I am about to go home .When a very big strike took my green fly I could feel the fish was a nice size .It was trying to run and I was trying to guide it back to shore .When snap my mono broke lost fish and fly .

So with a very quick mind change I re rigged some mono put on a red/pink fly and out I cast. Just one big grab and nothing .And at this stage I decided to go home the wind was getting to hard to cast with ,and I didn't want anymore lost flies.

And with that almost three hours had passed not huge fish but fish landed and bigger fish lost .
    cheers
    Mick