Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is a VHF Radio licence really necessary

Is a VHF Radio licence really necessary

as title says.... Is gaining a VHF radio licence really necessary.

I have a 4.6m centre console and i go out to the local reef (no more than 14nm). My boat is equiped with a VHF radio but i am as yet to get a licence to "legally" use it.

My question is.
    Do i really need a licence.?
    Why?
    Who would know if i didn't and used it anyway.....

I am a responsible owner/operator so i'm not going to abuse the system in anyway.. if that makes sence.

But why..

thanks
    jase

Re: Is a VHF Radio licence really necessary

Question #1 Legally......YES In reality ........NO You can use a VHF radio unlicensed in an EMERGENCY ONLY. at other times you would be at the mercy of the law.

Question #2 Because its natures way of keeping the knob jockeys off the airway. The authority in your state as well mine and others deem it to be neccessary. Seriously, though because its such a useful tool being proficent in its use is a good thing. You dont want to be using it and unknowingly be interferring with the communications of an S&R or some assistance to a stranded strickened vessel.

Question #3 Not sure about this one, but u owe it to yourself and your crew to be proficent in its use in my view. Here in SA it costs around $130.00 (a one off payment- no further fees) to get your proficiency. IMO its money well spent.

Gday

You will find that the correct operating procedure - use of calling and subsequent chat channels - is very important. Police, Harbour pilots and emergency services can be placed in danger if incorrect use of VHF happens

It is well worth the money to do the course

Have a look at http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook...c.mrohb.08.pdf for the handbook and

http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook...s_01012004.pdf gives a table of frequencies that can be used - see below

VHF Chan mentioned first
    16 Coast, Limited and ships Distress, Urgency, Safety & Routine

67 Coast, Limited and ships Supplementary to Ch 16

13 Ships Maritime Safety Information
    6 Ship and aircraft On scene coordination during SAR
    71 Limited and Fishing boats Routine communication
    72 Fishing & Leasure boats Routine communication
    73 Limited & Leasure boats Routine communication
    77 All vessels Routine communication

Mike

I also studied Marine Studies at school where we went right over this and as far as i'm concerned i'm profecient but without the licence.

In knowing the terms and how to use it,... i know that. I just don't have that piece of paper to say i do... I'm not going to use it unless i have to and i'd rather keep the $110 in my pocket.

It poops me that we are regulate such a simple potential life saving device, causes more harm than good, total lack of common responsibilty.

In America they also have marine VHF but were competent enough to ensure it would always be a device that could save anyones life at any time, not a device that scares many away from owning or using.

I have one have had for many years and consider it no more or less useful when needed to be used as as a life saving device than 27meg (of coarse I am not talking about range or clarity, thought I had better add that).

cheers fnq

even though it is not really a License as such, it is required by Law to have the Certificate of Proficiency (Licence?) I think one of the main reasons is to make sure boofheads do not just chatter away about crap, on frequencies that are also used by Commercial Shipping and so on (unlike 27meg) so I guess for the piddly amount of $100 or so (one off) why not do the course and maybe learn something new as well as making yourself Legal, I did mine as a compulsary part of a Coxswains course.

FNQ, u make a valid point about restricting its use and over regulation, but I gotta agree with Noelm here. Too much BS not to regulate this form of communication.

@ local-guy I too knew how to use the radio correctly......so I thought.....until I did the course. Things like the use of repeaters, using the 1kw option for low battery situations etc etc are all things that I had no idea about. And its these small things that could save your life.

Its things like relaying messages, the correct way, calling a Mayday or Pan Pan that many dont understand.

To be honest I'd like to see more use the 27mhz band than VHF. Then all the BS stays there, but the reality is that many new packages are being sold with VHF and the scary thing is there is no responsibilty on the seller to advise the purchaser of the need to be proficent.

I was out on Sunday last on Moreton bay with my radio on Ch16 as always and there where a couple kids playing around on Ch16. Maybe if the responsible person on the boat had done a course and learnt about the importance of a listening watch on Ch 16 then this sort of thing wouldn't happen

my boat when i bought it came with a 27mhz radio, but my father and the coast guard recommended the VHF as the 27mhz won't be monitored next year as closely as previous years.

Coontakinta i have no doubts that there are things i could refresh up on, but at this point in time when the weather doesn't warrent going out i can use that money to put towards a new sounder or fishing rod or tackle and get the licence later down the track.

It's not going to hurt me not using the radio for general chit chat as i don't really use it anyway. But i do know how to use it for emergency situations.

annoying as it seems, the law says you have to have one

Mike

if nothing else, it teaches you to respect all emergency channels.
    a couple of months back I listened in amazement as a mayday relay call was constantly interrupted by people wanting to log in...
    Local Guy, you may be proficient and respectful of appropriate procedures, but unfortunately many aren't. precisely why it needs to be regulated...

Local Guy (and anyone else), without doing any reasearch, can you answer this question?

What hours or the day are you NOT permitted to use channel 16 in a NON emergency situation?

If you dont know the answer you are risking other peoples lives and shouldnt be on the air IMO.

I can drive a sema or b double (did a bit of yard work when I was 16) . Does that mean I should be able to drive one on the road?

This isnt an attack on anyone, just my 2 cents worth
    Last edited by Hamish73; 29-02-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    Question #1 Legally......YES In reality ........NO You can use a VHF radio unlicensed in an EMERGENCY ONLY. at other times you would be at the mercy of the law.

Question #2 Because its natures way of keeping the knob jockeys off the airway. The authority in your state as well mine and others deem it to be neccessary. Seriously, though because its such a useful tool being proficent in its use is a good thing. You dont want to be using it and unknowingly be interferring with the communications of an S&R or some assistance to a stranded strickened vessel.

Question #3 Not sure about this one, but u owe it to yourself and your crew to be proficent in its use in my view. Here in SA it costs around $130.00 (a one off payment- no further fees) to get your proficiency. IMO its money well spent.
    Well i tell you what guys i'm responsible and use uhf and vhf for work and if someone comes up to me and try's to fine me for having a VHF without a ticket i will put my foot thru the system while they watch me and proceed to give them a mouthful. I have been on the water all my life and to say it will keep the larikens off it no way Wake to your selves.
    I'm an adult lets get some diginity to everyone self
    Everywhere we turn some one is telling us what to do.
    Interest rates are up what do the expext everything is going up everywhere when is the little person going to get a break
    MY OPINOIN
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

I have a gun license does that stop anyone shooting another person
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Too many do gooders telling us what to do
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

IMO,YES end of questions and answers. its in place for a reason, your life, your crews life, get over it do the test and pay the money. we all know that 27mg is not that strong so what happems off shore when the shit hits the fan, whoyou gonna call. just do it.