Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is a VHF Radio licence really necessary

Re: Is a VHF Radio licence really necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    What hours or the day are you NOT permitted to use channel 16 in a NON emergency situation?
    WRONG! There are NO TIMES when it is illegal to use channel 16. The radiotelephony silence periods are recommendations only. See Marine Rodio Operators Handbook 2002, p 30. The international regulations NO LONGER REQUIRE silence periods to be observed.

There is a big difference between 'SHOULD' be observed and 'MUST' be observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish73 View Post
    If you dont know the answer you are risking other peoples lives and shouldnt be on the air IMO.
    so will you be handing you VHF radio back LOL?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

there have been a lot of posts about people letting their kids abusing the radio and idiots on the radio.. who's to say these people don't have their licence.

nothing is going to stop a complete idiot with a vhf licence abusing it if their IQ is their shoe size.

most of the time i head out, my radio is switched off anyway. yeah it might be law to have a licence, but that doesn't mean i don't know how to use one and use the proper terminology... like JT said. he dosen't have a licence, but i bet he knows how to use it as good if not better than the next bloke who does.

i think my mind is made up. i'm gonna save my money and buy a new fishing rod instead.

I thought i would check with AVCG for the Moreton region that is CG Redcliffe and CG Brisbane and here is the reply I received

We do not monitor DSC and to best of my knowledge there would be very
    few if any stations that monitor it in Queensland if not Australia. It
    is a great idea but until the atohorities get there act together I feel
    that it will be exactly that.
    Channels we monitor in the VHF range are 16 73 (81repeter) (21repeter)
    (63Police Channel) 67
    --
    *Allan Tennent *
    *Commander *
    *Coast Guard Brisbane Q.F.2 *

are you saying he told you no one monitors DSC??

That's right the AVCG do not monitor DSC on the VHF frequency here in moreton bay, So I guess they wouldn't else where in QLD. But what I'm getting from his email is that nobody monitors VHF DSC in Australia. That doesn't mean that my radio with DSC on it won't pick up a call from somebody pressing the DSC button on thier radio. That's providing I'm within radio range.

I'm still waiting for a reply from VMR southern region

Les

From the Marine Radio Operators Handbook.

20. RADIOTELEPHONY SILENCE PERIODS
    20.1 International regulations no longer require silence
    periods to be observed on the distress and calling
    frequencies.

20.2 However, to increase the safety of life at sea
    in Australia, two three-minute periods of
    radiotelephony silence should be observed in
    each hour.

20.3 Radiotelephony silence periods start on the hour
    and continue to three minutes past the hour, and
    on the half hour until thirty-three minutes past
    the hour.

20.4 With the exception of distress calls and messages,
    all aural transmissions from all stations should
    cease during these periods.

20.5 It is the practice in all Australian waters to observe
    silence periods on the radiotelephony distress
    frequencies of either 2182, 4125, 6215, 8291,
    12 290, 16 420 kHz and VHF channel 16.

20.6 During periods of normal working, a weak distress
    signal may not be heard. Silence periods increase
    the chances of a distressed vessel’s signals being
    heard by other stations.

20.7 It is important that ship station operators have
    access to an accurate clock or watch to ensure
    correct observance of silence periods. An
    accurate clock is also useful to record the time
    at which communication occurred, particularly in
    emergency situations.

20.8 In some locations in Australia silence periods are
    observed on 27 MHz marine frequencies.

20.9 Silence periods are not observed on the MF/HF
    DSC frequencies and VHF DSC channel.

No, it's not the law to observe the Silence periods, it is just a practice. But a fairly important practice to follow

SECTINON 3
    MONITORING OF RADIOTELEPHONY
    FREQUENCIES (WATCHKEEPING)

Another interesting bit from the handbook;

8. AUTHORITY OF THE MASTER
    8.1 A ship radio station and the service it provides
    is placed under the authority of the master,
    skipper, or the person responsible for the safety
    of the vessel.

So, if some idiot or kids are nattering away on the emergency channel, it is the responsibility of whoever is in charge of that vessel to see that they dont.

And some other legal stuff;

11. DISTRESS CALLS
    11.1 T he obligation to accept distress alerts, calls
    and messages is absolute and such messages
    must be accepted with priority over all other
    radiocommunications.

12. FALSE OR DECEPTIVE DISTRESS, URGENCY OR
    SAFETY SIGNALS
    12.1 The transmission of false or deceptive
    distress, urgency or safety signals is strictly
    forbidden. Extremely severe penalties,
    including imprisonment, exist under the
    Radiocommunications Act 1992
    for any person
    found guilty of making such a transmission.

13. UNNECESSARY TRANSMISSIONS
    13.1 Transmissions should be as brief as possible
    consistent with the legitimate requirement for
    which a station is licensed. Non essential remarks,
    bad language and unnecessary conversations
    should be avoided.

13.2 It is an offence under the
    Radiocommunications
    Act 1992
    to use a transmitter in a manner that
    is likely to cause a reasonable person to be
    seriously alarmed or affronted, or for the purpose
    of harassing a person.

14. AVOIDANCE OF INTERFERENCE
    14.1 Operators should take every precaution to ensure
    that their transmissions will not cause harmful
    interference to other stations. It is important that
    all operators:
    >> listen before transmitting to ensure the
    frequency is not already in use;
    >> use the minimum transmitting power
    necessary for reliable communications;
    >> strictly observe the purpose for which a
    frequency is assigned; and
    >> keep test signals to a minimum.

15. DOCUMENTS TO BE HELD ON BOARD
    15.1 In addition to the station licence and operator’s
    certificate, a copy of this handbook and material
    suitable for use as a radio log book should be held
    aboard a vessel.

here you go reply from CG Redcliffe

Dear Les

To my knowledge, no one in Coast Station in Moreton Bay monitors VHF DSC. The equipment is not available to monitor as yet. It is only just started in Europe. North America has finished the rollout and is operational. As I understand it, it is still some years away.

Malcolm Olding
    Commander
    Coast Guard Redcliffe.

Every merchant ship plying the coast and transiting waters of Aus are monitoring DSC, and they are obliged to keep a log, and assist if close and able, or relay the distress to a Coast Station if unable to assist. There are a lot of merchant ships around the coast and they have a good transmission range + 24hr watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    WRONG! There are NO TIMES when it is illegal to use channel 16. The radiotelephony silence periods are recommendations only. See Marine Rodio Operators Handbook 2002, p 30. The international regulations NO LONGER REQUIRE silence periods to be observed.

There is a big difference between 'SHOULD' be observed and 'MUST' be observed.

so will you be handing you VHF radio back LOL?

Jeremy
    Just wanting to clarify Jeremy, their are circumstances (Not times as you correctly say going to the definition of the word "should").

MROCP Handbook
    Page 72
    "Any station which is aware of distress traffic is forbidden to transmit on any frequency which is being used for that traffic".

Yes I am splitting hairs on this point, but I don't want people getting confused that it is just open slather just the same. I know that you know your stuff, but not everyone does.

Cheers Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Taroona View Post
    here you go reply from CG Redcliffe

Dear Les

To my knowledge, no one in Coast Station in Moreton Bay monitors VHF DSC. The equipment is not available to monitor as yet. It is only just started in Europe. North America has finished the rollout and is operational. As I understand it, it is still some years away.

Malcolm Olding
    Commander
    Coast Guard Redcliffe.

Firstly their is no Coast Station in Brisbane.
    The nearest of the 9 State Run Coast Radio Stations to us are in Gladstone and Sydney so therefore they will not hear anyone using VHF DSC over those kinds of distances. (Perhaps Commander Malcolm Olding was referring to Limited Coast Stations)?

Other vessels are likely to hear such transmissions which includes any Rescue Vessels fitted with a DSC enabled radio and in reality, more importantly because of the numbers of them out there, private vessels and persons such as yourself.

I cant and wont speak for all VMR's, Coastguards or Coastal Patrols as to whether or not they monitor it, I wouldn't have a clue. What I did post is a number of MMSI numbers and the units that they belong to from throughout Australia. To me, that means that they have a set fitted with that 9 digit MMSI, if its turned on it works. If its working, its being monitored?

If anyone wants to call it an organized network of monitoring stations they are absolutely and totally wrong. When are they going to be monitored "Officially" by shore stations, when its use starts to become more common and people learn to accept it. It will never become an organized network until units and organizations start learning to work together and are effectively gently prodded in to utilizing the technology available to us.

I repeat that if the units have applied for a 9 digit MMSI number, have the sets turned on and are within range of the transmission they will receive a DSC alert. It requires no specialized equipment to send or receive DSC alerts/messages other than a Class D VHF DSC radio. For shore stations their are also Class A VHF DSC sets available with a greater range of features. (A private vessel can have this equipment fitted if they choose too as well).

I hope the info helps

Cheers Lloyd

I recommend that anyone whom is interested in DSC in Australia visits this site.
    It is very good and is an Australian site.

http://www.vhf-dsc.info/

They also have another site with a bit of HF DSC stuff etc as well, a lot of good information all around.
    http://www.gmdss.com.au/recvsls.htm

Like I said, DESC is widely missunderstood and poorly accepted. Have a gander aqnd make up your own mind.

Cheers Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    This is all good , And don't agree with the system in process but who's to say you can use your radio better then me, And as first stated it's to stop misuse and inproper use of this system now if i am right didn't license's come in to play for UHF what happened with this?
    How do they police and how do they REALLY POLICE THIS
    I have every flare every epirb every parachute flare in my boat if my boat sinks and i can't get to my Radio or my electronics go?
    What i AM SAYING IS OK THEY TEACH YOU RIGHT WAYS TO USE THE RADIO BUT WHATS TO SAY THAT MY FATHER CAN'T TEACH ME HOW TO USE MY RADIO IN THE RIGHT MANNER. I KNOW A LICENSE YOU MAY HAVE TO HAVE BUT PLEASE IF I DO A COURSE CAN I HONESTLY SAY I AM THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS A RIGHT TO USE IT?
    Do i have to teach my young ones to use a radio with a learners and if i call the coastgaurd that i am a social member of and support them every chance i get will approach me when i call up in a distress mode and ask me " hey have you a license to be calling us?"

Most of youse may think i'm a knob but i'm just looking for logic
    JOHN
    And to people that have a license i don't knock anyone for it but can you use your radio better then me
    John, personally I could not care less whether you or anyone else has a certificate to operate a marine radio. (I have stated this on several occasions over the years in multiple posts). All I care about personally is the fact that the person or persons operating it in time of need or using that set are able to make a call that will get them the necessary help in a timely fashion without buggering it up for them or everyone else. If you know enough to teach your kids about marine radio and how to use it, good on you! I hope you also take the time to teach them how to put on life jackets in the dark, activate your EPIRB and operate your flares. (Simulated the last 2). Can you answer that in the positive, good on you if you can!!!
    As to your question, for all I know you may be a far more superior radio operator than myself, your Great Grandfather may have been Marconi himself
    I would never profess to say I am the greatest in the world and nor should others lest we start sounding like Anthony Mundine.

Lastly, we dont ask you if you call wether you have a radio lisence, a recreational ship masters license, a marriage liscence or any other liscense. Out job is plainly to assist and educate.... thats it

If you know what you are doing and pass that info on to others then thats great and my compliments to you

Cheers Lloyd

The above posts have taken the entire Sat night for me to complete as I am a really slow 1 fingered typist. (Not really how I like to spend my Sat nights, yes my choice).

I hope you all will excuse me but I have a huge amount to do in preparation for upcoming courses both as a volunteer and for my work as well.

This time I will be away from the site for up to a week and will be resisting replying to any more posts on the subject as it really is huge. It cant be done justice on here no matter how hard you try as some people will misconstrue or misinterpret what is said without a full oral explanation.

Their are always the occasional detractors in here as well whom will deliberately attempt to trip you up if you put 1 word wrong in a sentence which also adds to the time proof reading over and over as you go .

Cheers Lloyd