Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now ...non fishoes are second class citizens

Nagg
    Ken Oath!

Mike
    Tangles KFC

Re: Fishing Elitism

Quote Originally Posted by ENGIBEER View Post
    I only really look down on people who litter the great rivers with set lines (Thats not sport fishing, where is the fun in dragging in a cod thats been struggling on a heavy line for 24 hours).

And people who keep undersized fish or large breeding fish that should be returned to the water.

Apart from that I don't care if you use bait, fly, lure whatever.

ENGIBEER

Set lines Nearly wiped out the Murray Cod populations ....... Totally agree , these vermin (set liners) should be looked down on !

Nagg

Totally agree, there should be no tolerance for set-lines of any description.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I would be the world's worst fisherman..and I don't care..can afford virtually any tackle if I wanted to..what I treasure is the time out on the water with family and friends..relaxing..the fish are just a bonus...ok, I will be elite cos we always have a few bottles of wine on board to go with the prawns and salad for lunch.

I'm with you

Jack

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=112304

This thread was from a while ago, Had a very similar theme!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reelemin1974 View Post
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=112304

This thread was from a while ago, Had a very similar theme!!!
    Oh ... yeh a little bit

I'm thinking a bit broader than just C&R Vs the Fillet brigade ...... Though no doubt there is that division too!

Nagg

shimano owners see themselves better than anyone else?? lol got a good laugh out of that one, if previous posts through out ausfish were any indication it would seem daiwa fans look down on everyone else!
    ALL HAIL MIGHTY DAIWA! HUUMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    shimano owners see themselves better than anyone else?? lol got a good laugh out of that one, if previous posts through out ausfish were any indication it would seem daiwa fans look down on everyone else!
    ALL HAIL MIGHTY DAIWA! HUUMMMMM

I didn't want to state the obvious

being an elite fisherman means living in Qld or Tas or NT..wannabe fishermen survive in NSW & Vic.

I can feel a State of Origin coming on !!!!!!!

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Its not about elitism or classes of fishers, It comes down to personal interests, versatility and dedication. Often i have gone fishing with the intent of using lures or soft plastics to catch jacks and flathead, to find the water is to dirty or weedy, A quick trip to the closest sand bank for a few yabbys, (pump and castnet are always in the boat) and we rarely go home without a few whiting or bream. I am also involved with tag and release and as I mentioned, I do take some fish home for the table. Different times of the year bring different fish and therefor different techniques are used. Im sure some of us get upset with other fishers and there styles of fishing, But as fishers, it is up to the individual to get out there and find what type of fishing exites them more. Nothing beats time on the water, from reef fishing to estuary fishing to impoundment fishing, lures, plastics, baits, casting, trolling, drifting, i do it all because I love it all, and every time I go fishing i want to try something new. Its a passion for some, But an addiction for me. When it comes down to it, its all fishin.
    Bag em 'n' Tag em,
    Gumbo1

Its not about elitism or classes of fishers, It comes down to personal interests, versatility and dedication. Often i have gone fishing with the intent of using lures or soft plastics to catch jacks and flathead, to find the water is to dirty or weedy, A quick trip to the closest sand bank for a few yabbys, (pump and castnet are always in the boat) and we rarely go home without a few whiting or bream. I am also involved with tag and release and as I mentioned, I do take some fish home for the table. Different times of the year bring different fish and therefor different techniques are used. Im sure some of us get upset with other fishers and there styles of fishing, But as fishers, it is up to the individual to get out there and find what type of fishing exites them more. Nothing beats time on the water, from reef fishing to estuary fishing to impoundment fishing, lures, plastics, baits, casting, trolling, drifting, i do it all because I love it all, and every time I go fishing i want to try something new. Its a passion for some, But an addiction for me. When it comes down to it, its all fishin.
    Bag em 'n' Tag em,
    Gumbo1

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    being an elite fisherman means living in Qld or Tas or NT..wannabe fishermen survive in NSW & Vic.
    Everyone has to do their penance before going to heaven!

Nagg

What does it matter and who gives a rats A%$e what or who thinks???, Just get out there and enjoy your passtime or what we have left of it lol..
    I still enjoy sitting on a bucket in the marina/ breakwall with a handline chasing the odd bream or two ...
    Elitesim is fer those that think their shyte dont stink, but we all know different ...

Fishing is interesting..... there is such a broad variety of views, personalities and experiences.

Of course there will be elitists, there will be in any field of endeavour..... and of course there will be the " reverse elitist" who prides him self on his lowly situation.

What is interesting, I think is that it appears to me that people bring these attitudes TO fishing and not gain them from it.

There would be very few of us that ( in spite of our bumper sticker) have fishing as the main and determining interest in our lives, that thing that identifies us in llife and sets our atatudes.
    Most of us will have some other "occupation or serious vocation" and fishing will be a pass time or hobby.

for the vast majority, our fishing attitudes and the gear we own will be in proportion to the rest of our lives.

So if a bloke is an unbearable fishing snob and has expensive gear and an exensive boat..... he will almost certainly have a flash car ( better than yours) and a big fancy house (bigger than yours) and he will be "far more important than you". His attitude will be dreived from other than fishing..... after all he can afford it.

Fishing is funny to.... because it leaves nothing lasting and durable behind as testiment to skill or dedication......so those who recon they are better than the rest of us are left with nothing to prove that but the insistance that it is so and to point at their fancy gear or the methods they use.......

because "anybody can catch one of those. .what do you land that with ? your anchor winch!!.....I saw a black fella catch one of those with a length of brickes string and a bit of bent fencing wire"

I think too that there has been a generations ingrained elitist culture in fishing. Like...... there is " Fly Fishing" everthing else is " Coarse fishing". From a time when only the rich were entitled to fish for pleasure AND the rich owned the river and the fish in it.

In the recent past, only the rich could afford to fish for game spicies... so there will of course be an elitist attitude remaining somewhere in there too.

But in recent times the type of elitism that I see is marketing driven elitism, associated with buying the latest or the funkyest. like buying SHIMANO ( or whatever) not because you realy know the difference but for the same reasons you baught NIKE shoes and designer other things.

Of course ther is elitism and there always will be, and while that is so there will be reverse elitism.

So you, you $1000 reel toteing, $600 rod waving, braid spoolin, windon leaderin, fancy boat driving, brand name luring, fancy knot tying fishing snob, can @#$%! &%$^(#@..... I stick with my second hand Alvey, supermarhet rod, monofialment line and my stinky bait. :tongue:

Where's the fun if you can't think you are better than someone else .

What the heck... the fish dont care.

Now if the fish were elitist that would be a different story

cheers
    Last edited by oldboot; 01-03-2008 at 10:43 AM.