Thread: Threadfin Salmon? Just a thought

Threadfin Salmon? Just a thought

I was pondering when i caught my last Threadfin Salmon in the Brisbane river whether these fish are viable species for stocking into local dams. There obviously found through out the Brisbane well up into the fresh. I know everyone would love barra in Wivenhoe or Somerset (after reading the entire SEQ barra thread ) but these fish would be a great substitute they grow big fight hard and can be targeted on lures. They could even spawn a new freshwater craze in the seq dams a bit like barra have in the central Queensland ones. Is there a aquaculture program out there producing fingerling? Is it possible? Anyway just a thought.

Cheers Chris

Re: Threadfin Salmon? Just a thought

I dont know
    is there such a thing as freshwater salmon ?
    they would have to breed saltwater ones and change them over to fresh i think.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRAkid View Post
    I dont know
    is there such a thing as freshwater salmon ?
    they would have to breed saltwater ones and change them over to fresh i think.
    It would be no different to barra, there is no such thing as a freshwater barra they also need saltwater to breed, Threadfin seem to be found right up in the fresh water as well as in the salt so i wouldn't imagine life in the dams should be a problem.

Cheers Chris

im actually gonna convert a thready for my mate, from salt to fresh he loves em so much!. and it would be awsome for dams i rekon!!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by cammy View Post
    im actually gonna convert a thready for my mate, from salt to fresh he loves em so much!. and it would be awsome for dams i rekon!!

Cammo
    threadys are a great fish yet to catch one tho i cant see why they wouldnt be able to be breed and stocked into our damns
    "True Blue"

Anything is possible just depends if you've got the drive to push it through the red tape associated with getting a new fish listed for stocking. If you would like an idea of just how difficult the process can be talk to fitzy about Jungle Perch.

I dont think this is an official list but there is 10 species for long term consideration at the moment. Not sure but I dont think Threadies make the top 10 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by shayned View Post
    Anything is possible just depends if you've got the drive to push it through the red tape associated with getting a new fish listed for stocking. If you would like an idea of just how difficult the process can be talk to fitzy about Jungle Perch.

I dont think this is an official list but there is 10 species for long term consideration at the moment. Not sure but I dont think Threadies make the top 10 at the moment.
    what are the other 10 fish?

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

I have no doubt that going from idea to seeing it happen would be a long and painful process. A am curious as to what is on the list and how the process works. I really think the seq freshwater scheme would be enhanced if there was a "big" trophy type fish available for anglers to target. It seem Southern anglers have there big Murray cod and northern anglers have there big barra but in SEQ the best anglers can hope to catch is really a big 50cm bass. Impressive in its own right but for me and many other anglers no doubt nothing beat the feeling of a metre/10kg plus fish stripping line from your locked up drag .

Cheers Chris

Chris,

Talk to Shayne on this site mate (Shayned I think he's called). He's doing a bit with freshwater stocking in the Brisbane area at the moment.

*EDIT* Just noticed he's already replied in this thread.... Still have a talk to him but

Mate I agree totally, seeing we wont get barra in our ponds down here, we deserve another hard fighting big sports fish to take on the role that barra play up north.

I believe it is a difficult process to achieve another species to be added to the list of approved stock fish. That said, it is something I'd like to take a crack at and I am slowly working on a possible approach. When I get a few more steps along the way and assuming I don't run out of steam, I'll be on here chasing support.

Just to give you an idea, I believe the following fish are probably the species which may be considered by the powers that be. Please note this is my belief only and is not an official list.

Mullet
    Jungle Perch
    Mangrove Jack
    Big eye Trevally
    Milk Fish

Mullet
    Jungle Perch
    Mangrove Jack
    Big eye Trevally
    Milk Fish
    Shayne, Mullet… Good Bait. Should be put on the hook and thrown out of the boat.
    Jungle Perch… Far north Qld
    Mangrove Jack
    Big eye Trevally…... Salt water and should be left there
    Milk Fish……… The name says it all

it occurs to me a focused pointed approach would be advantageous to your goal. You should average your target and focus on that one fish. In mathematics, an average, or central tendency of a data set refers to a measure of the "middle" or "expected" value of the data set. To me, that means in that list, Mangrove Jack (the middle of that list), should be your target.

You know your mission. God speed to you, brother.
    Last edited by Didley; 31-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Hi Guys,
    One thing that Shayne and I have talked about has been the commercial production of these species. From my perspective, getting a new species on a a stocking permit would not even half the battle.

At present, there are no hatcheries in Queensland capable of producing threadfin salmon fingerlings. That has been a big hurdle with the Trevally, Milkfish and Jungle Perch, and the hatcheries that are capable of producing Mangrove Jack and Mullet do so on a small and irregular basis.

Before species like Threadfin Salmon, Trevally and Milkfish can be stocked, the species will have to be spawned on a comercial basis. Further, as is the case with most saltwater species, There needs to be a commercial need for the species- Most barra hatcheries sell 1/3 their product to commercial growers, and the Dams are stocked at high rates compared to what is feasible for the new species.

One factor with the Jungle Perch was that the government was not allowing commercial hatcheries collect broodstock, which meant that it was only government hatcheries that were able to produce fingerlings, and there isnt a government hatchery around capable of producing them in a commercial quantity for restocking groups.

Whilist Barra, Bass, Goldens, Cod and Silvers are being stocked in impoundments, it is going to be hard to find a hatchery willing to produce a new 'risky' species when we can NEVER produce enough of the above species for our current orders.

Prehaps with some more research from the commercial and government bodies and once production protocols become available we might see some new species stocked in impoundments.

Cheers,
    Matt

I hadn't even thought about commercial availability of the species . But its obvious that it would have big impact on stocking options. Though personally i cant think why they don't breed threadfin salmon for commercial harvest as they are a good eating fish right up there and some would say even better then barra. Its a shame but if this is the case, i suppose the mangrove jack would have to be the best option, though stocking up north hasn't produced any spectacular jack fisheries. None the less the possibility of pulling a big jack from the sticks would entice me and no doubt many more other anglers in seq to do a bit more fresh water fishing.