• Other (which)?

26 14.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Australian TV fishing shows

Re: Australian TV fishing shows

Quote Originally Posted by reelemin1974 View Post
    I couldn't agree more!!

And what species do you think he will chase next????? Gee, I wonder if it will be Barrumundi??

I can't understand why these people don't chase some of the more unregular fish? Cast poppers in Sydney Harbour for Kings, Cast poppers at the GBR for GT's, Live bait for spanish off Gold coast, Lure for MJ's in the GC canals, catch bream on bread crusts off the surface. The list is endless, but no, Trout in the snowies, flatties in port Hacking, Barra in Awonga and Bream In Sydney Harbour.

I know it is more extensive than that, but not much more. Occasionally they go to odd places and fish for odd fish, but generally the same old.

I think, these days, there are a lot more people fishing for a lot more different species using a lot more different techniques. Expanding may have been a risk before as they were hopeing to catch the 'weekend' angler, but sports fishing has opened up a new ares of fishing that was not so prevalent before, and more people are a little bored with the same old.
    While I'm not a fan of EThahahaha ......... he most definitely has fished a broad range of species & techniques ( more than any other presenter.... IMO)
    If you could just watch the actual fishing he has done & turned off the volume ..... It would be great watching ( but the show in General is RUBBISH! .... 5 mins fishing & 20mins of Toyota , Coleman , Big W & now the ET lodge! )
    I've gotta say though ..... you do see him out on Port Hacking ( not filming) in his other boats .. fishing for whiting etc .
    Yes ... then there is the jump from Yamaha to BRP ......... money does talk ( but I guess if you are BRP .... you need all the promotion you can get!)

This type of sponsorship always leads me into a pet hate ( credibility of fishing journalists .... or lack there of .................. but this deserves a thread on its own!

Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 02-03-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    Ahh, Robbie the snipe boy, nice observations there mate. No toetouching in my paradise thanks, and I would be forced into a fit of rage if I had to spend even 5 minutes with Martin B.

I too, remember Go Fish Australia, and that brilliant title song. I wonder if you sing it as poorly as your younger brother?

But speaking of Rex Hunt, do you remember that tell-all interview he did a couple of years ago about some affair he'd had? The quote I still get a great chuckle out of, is:

"I'm invincible, I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, ooohhhh how good is this?" Brilliant stuff Rexxy, you tool.

RB
    No fish is going to make me a failure
    I'm gonna go fish Australia
    For the one that got away
    (words to that effect)
    My parents have a lot of this show on tape, hosted by John Meillon of crococile dundee fame (walter), great show!

The IFish guys are brilliant,I always watch waiting to see if One of them hooks the other with a lure.They come across as down to earth types,some funny moments always Its obviously made on a budget and good on them.

IFish or ET for me I like the guys on hooked line and sinker too they give me a giggle but creek to coast nup can't stand that fella he might be a nice fella but for me he would need to be gagged to fish with. Imagine what that guys wife gets???

Give me a Malcom Douglas docco anyday over any of the shows listed!!!
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 04-03-2008 at 08:50 PM.

good day all,
    Hook line and sinker.
    Good for a laugh or two
    Cheers
    Reidy

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Gee View Post
    Time to put my 2 cents worth in.

Watching C to C as i type this. First off we have a 5 min (give or take) advert for Century Batteries. Now we got another Ad, 5 min for ARB and their camping poop dressed up as a blurb on trailbiking west of Bris. Just then we had Gary Howard with a quick round up of a few differant types of boats you might be looking at with product name closeups prominant in most shots. Now im looking at an add for some massive 8metre wakeboard thing . $120,000 starting price...bulls^!t.. exclusivive from S-Wood marine (Ad). Next is Scott Hillier going on about a DH. I think he means a double hookup but he may mean D___ Head..Oh, its another dressed up Ad.. this time for BCF...yeah ok .. he did give a bit of info on small mouth and large mouth nanigi. And that was the show for today. It wasent even a decent infomercial..it was more of an Advertorial...

What a waste of time, I won't bother watching next week.

g
    well said OG, I watched it as well, and was appalled at the brand-heavy info that they presented in the program. Sure, they may be getting sponsorship dollars from some of these companies, but at the moment, it's like an outdoor version of that late night Guthy Renker TV shopping or something at the moment! I mean, C to C had 2 separate segments on Century Batteries, FFS.

I will be tuning out from now on, but my only other choice for Fishing on TV is ET, which, last Sat, was nearly as bad as C 2 C when it comes to brand-specific promotional segments......Toyota, Canon, etc.

Might have to go fishing instead.

Cheers
    RB
    Last edited by Red Bull; 03-03-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    searchin' for my lost shaker of salt

You know when ET first started it was not anywhere near as bad as it became, I dislike them all as fishing shows but will kill time watching them with my brain switched off, as said above Malcolm Douglas is a real fishing show but I have seen them all more times than I can remember.

Actually Rob pax???? gets a few different fish onboard over half an hour without too much fluff.

cheers fnq

I don't mind the fishing W.A. boys at least you get to see mostly fishing without all the sponsor rubbish. Rex Hunt would have to be one of the most anoying blokes on T.V., his show went downhill after Steve Starling & Bushy left

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    You know when ET first started it was not anywhere near as bad as it became, I dislike them all as fishing shows but will kill time watching them with my brain switched off, as said above Malcolm Douglas is a real fishing show but I have seen them all more times than I can remember.

Actually Rob pax???? gets a few different fish onboard over half an hour without too much fluff.

cheers fnq
    FNQ .... How many shows start off OK ... & once they prove successful - the sponsorship $ start to flow ( & there goes half the show)
    Hey even old Mal ... started to push product ( Engel , Trailcraft , Halco) ..... where in the past ... there was the odd mention of " His favorite Daiwa reel" ........ but hey his shows are still great to watch

Nagg

Ricardo, you must be joking, no sponsor stuff on Fishing WA??? what about the never ending full side on shots and reference to the Outboard? every minute a cutaway to the Frazer Craft or whatever the brand the Boat is, the Penn hats and Shirts (even in the night time segments, that silly boofhead Steve has his hat on backwards so you can see the names on it) the endless mind numbing refering to Fireline and such and such jigs and lures, not to mention his agravating WA accent where he uses geeaarr and fishes over heearrr, as I said way back, thank God I am so perfect so I can pass judgement on others!

My fav would have to be IFish hands down..Paul and Lee are great to watch and quite clearly know wat they are talking about...best thing is they do all types of fishing from bait to plastics and bream to marlin those boys have it covered.

I voted other. I think Hook, Line and Sinker. It is really entertaining. Featuring two guys (Nick Duigan and Andrew Hart) who dont pretend to know everything about fishing but capture all the fun of fishing as they tour around the country, fishing all the hotspots - not always catching, but always coming back with something entertaining!
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

They are normally on on weekends so i'm either working or fishing so i don't get to see them, what a shame. I prefer journals/mags, i'm subscribed to modern fishing i think it's probably got the best content quality of any of the glossy mags and while it still has a high proportion of adds they're positioned in such a way the doesn't subtract from the magazine. for example the current issue has a story about mangrove jacks and at the end of the story gamakatsu recommends a couple of hooks you would use for jacks without invading the actual article itself. The best thing about magazines aswell is if you aren't interested in adds you can turn the page.

Watched Rob pax?? this arvo, he was fishing somewhere in Tasmania (North east???), was a really good show lots of fish very minor advertorial, some laughs and kidding around and they did it all from a modest boat with modest gear - doesn't get much better IMO.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 08-03-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Watched Rob pax?? this arvo, he was fishing somewhere in Tasmania (North east???), was a really good show lots of fish very minor advertorial, some laughs and kidding around and they did it all from a modest boat with modest gear - doesn't get much better IMO.

cheers fnq

What was he catching? A few rat yellowtail kings

Steve99