Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bargain $500 spinning reels possible ??

Re: bargain $500 spinning reels possible ??

GEE....Spheros 14000..... these reels can be bought for $200 and it performs..not bad..

ADD ....just rang the local tackle store and they are selling them for $249 already upgraded..i'll be going in this week to check it out..
    Last edited by spears; 01-03-2008 at 03:36 PM.

$249.00 sounds like a good price the last 3 I had done I thought they where closer to $150.00 on top of the reel.
    You want to check that it is a full upgrade. You don't have to go the full upgrade. In a full upgrade you get a choice of a stella handle- football or T handle. I have a couple of freinds that have been quoted with and without handle upgrades. The bearing upgarde is where you get your extra drag and makes it a much smoother reel but I like the stella handle .
    If you go that way its good to have alook at a stella before you buy your reel and work out your preference of handle. The stellas come with both football and T so you can change but with a speros upgrade you have to pick one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Want a reel bargin.

"the store that can not be mentioned" has a "quantity" of unpackaged "Fin Nor" "ultraquest" reels that they have had lying arround for ages. they have been reduced and reduced.
    there are two sizes one that would be about a 4000 size and monster ooh arround 7000.
    the small one is a 4 bering reel and the bigg one quotes 2 bearings.

now I'm not claiming these would be up to the fancy top shelf products but they don't seem half bad.

Old mate down at the local branch says that wquite a few blokes have taken them home with a " what the hec, at that price" atitude. and come back later to buy more with a smile on their face.

They were running reduced at something like $50...... the managers are sick of the sight of em and have reduced em to.

just under $24

At that they are a bargin.
    Even for a " don't care" reel they are worth a look.

I brought a few home & they dont look half bad, the drags seem Ok (I've hooked em up to a tree and leant on em hard) and they runn and cast just fine.

Time will tell but at the price.... yep they are a bargin.

cheers
    i was one of those blokes who thought why not it only 30 buck to date i havent used it. but i do have a smaller fin-nor on the plastics rod (also at a what the hell price) and i have come to trust it with whatever the passage can throw at it.

neil

Adding the Stella upgrade is nice but not needed and expensive, the added bearing and drag upgrade makes all the difference.
    Spears, if the local is selling the reel at $250 upgraded I would pounce on it, as that would cover any f---ups you do putting in the parts, like breaking the fragile drag washers, as well as putting them in the sealed spool is a bit of a mission

hey spears which tackle shop is that? PM me if you dont want to post it

Found some info on the upgrade on another forum:
    http://www.akff.net/wiki/index.php?t...pheros_14000FA

Reading US forums, it seems that it's an 'aussie mod'

Thanks guys for the heads up..
    I'll get me self into the store at 10am check it out ask these few questions.

I did ask how much more for handle and drag upgrade=reply.. included..we'll see

if everything is correct i'll reply who's got it tomorrow after 6pm..need to make sure i don't get there and find out they didn't have any left due to a run out on phone orders..LOL

Hamish73 i'll PM you 1st as you asked
    Last edited by spears; 02-03-2008 at 08:05 PM.

certate. very tough rel with an awsome drag.
    out of all my others the cerate gets the most use by far

[quote=oldboot;774070]Want a reel bargin.

"the store that can not be mentioned" has a "quantity" of unpackaged "Fin Nor" "ultraquest" reels that they have had lying arround for ages. they have been reduced and reduced.
    there are two sizes one that would be about a 4000 size and monster ooh arround 7000.
    the small one is a 4 bering reel and the bigg one quotes 2 bearings.

there no good. when i used to work at ##### we had alot come back with stickey drags and worn out gears within a few weeks.

Re shimano spheros 14000

Ya see how everything changes in 24 hours..

Quote shop today..The other guy must have made a mistake giving you those prices.the reel is $249 plus for an extra $45 you get the upgrade of drag and handle....End quote..

So there you have it $294 for a full upgrade

That is still cheap, but what about the bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    That is still cheap, but what about the bearing?
    I got an idea that what he means by handle its probably just the bearing.

With a few saying that’s cheap I didn’t want to drive 7kl to get disappointed. He put me on hold twice for 10 mins just to get an end reply.

Honestly i lost interest as this now is more expensive than my imported fin-nor off shore reel,and i can't see this being any better a reel..But I should add that the spheros still would be a good reel as parts are available compared to the fin-nors which I would need to get OS..Especially when some says they can pull fish all day..interesting..
    Last edited by spears; 03-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.