Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

If i owned a mono again it would probably be a victory, i have spent alot of time in this hull and rate it very highly, imho it's probably the pic of the Mono 6.0m boats out there that i've had personal experience in! But i also agree with Smithy and Noel , The seafarers have some very bad habits , one as mentioned is wet when trolling on anything but a good day and the other is when running down hill driving into and through the back of a wave, very dangerous!!!!

Jabba

Mate, i'm fully aware of the capability's of your vermont mate and 45knots in a 2.5m swell is not one of them. As sleepy greg mentioned you have again got your km;s / knots mixed up ( remember the fuel figures 3nm /perl) Vermonts are a god hull and i have been doing 100km/hr offshore in one launching of swells that were a long way apart and the sea was glassy but that is along way from what you decribed !
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

I would reckon that almost any Boat at 100KPH offshore is going to be exiting to say the least, I know it is done as is much faster speeds, but not with a bunch of Fisherman or family and a pile of rods and stuff, anyone who doubts this, just give it a whirl some day, get your Boat up to WOT in the Ocean, see how fast you are really going, then imagine what 100KPH would be like, all I can say is YEEEHAAAA! by the way, I am kidding, do not get your Boat up to full speed in the Ocean!

The 'V' tradition has been around from the beginning. Many people don't know that Seafarer built the first deep-vee fibreglass trailerboat in Australia - the Vixen 13". I am not 100% on this, but I think you will find the V stands for 'DEEP V', and the tradition has continued for many years. The only other company I know that follows a similar tradition is Aston Martin.

NoelM, where did you sell Seafarer's out of interest?

I'm with BoatBoy, the Victory is an awesome all-rounder and this design has proved very popular with family fisherman over the past two decades. The Vikings being referred to here weren't the 5.5Mtr based on the current hull. They were the older version, that looked very similar to the 4.74 V-Sea, only longer. Skipper stood a long way forward, and they were built as fishing boats. Honest sea-boat, (some say the 4.74 was a better boat) but the new ones with half-pod and new hull and deck were a big improvement. They weren't designed as pretty family boats!

As for rotted floors / transoms in the older ones, you can say the same for any boat that age with that many hours and hard-work these boats copped, and it happens to certain other boats a lot sooner! New ones had the benefit of R&D and better materials. It will be interesting to see if some of the new-age building methods used around the place now stand-up to age like the older boats have (look at the old Halvorsen's, Norman Wrights, Caribbeans, etc. and my 40 year old Seafarer getting around).

Anyway, I agree with Noel's comments about the 'perfect' boat. Most Aussie boats are done well, and built for an application - and getting out and enjoying them is what it is all about. We've got some world-class brands here with Signature, Cruise Craft, Haines Hunter, Kevlacat, Caribbean, etc. and Seafarer has been a class-act for sometime - and respected locally and internationally. This is what this post was about - particularly given the changing of the guard now and a new approach.

My 72 Haines V16C was much less well built in terms of the floor at least than my 70s Vagabond...chalk and cheese even allowing for the size difference. The original floor on the V16C is very thin ply with a thin glass coat topsides only. The sheer amount of thick glass in the Vag is a thing of beauty.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    If i owned a mono again it would probably be a victory, i have spent alot of time in this hull and rate it very highly, imho it's probably the pic of the Mono 6.0m boats out there that i've had personal experience in! But i also agree with Smithy and Noel , The seafarers have some very bad habits , one as mentioned is wet when trolling on anything but a good day and the other is when running down hill driving into and through the back of a wave, very dangerous!!!!

Jabba

Mate, i'm fully aware of the capability's of your vermont mate and 45knots in a 2.5m swell is not one of them. As sleepy greg mentioned you have again got your km;s / knots mixed up ( remember the fuel figures 3nm /perl) Vermonts are a god hull and i have been doing 100km/hr offshore in one launching of swells that were a long way apart and the sea was glassy but that is along way from what you decribed !
    It's getting bigger and faster each time I read about, it was 40mph and 2m.. The swell was far apart and smooth (not completely glassed out), there was small left over chop from the previous day.. That's the best way I know how to describe it. We were running against another boat that maxed out at 35mph, I left him behind.... In the last few months, I have not be out on a day that is suitable to run at those speed. 20-25mph max going into the swell...

As for running down hill, I know what you mean, but what I do is trim the motor out to lift the nose, and increase the speed.. Work extreamly well, and you get home quicker...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Tassie, I'm yet to find anything, size for size, that does. I think the number of them (like the V-Sea) out there on the water attest to that.

Most people that own them, have had plenty of boats before them too. Once you learn how to drive them with trim, and you have the set-up spot-on as it should be, they are bloody awesome machines. Drive one through a rough afternoon on Jumpinpin and you appreciate how good everything comes together. Downhill handling is perfect. Anyway, horses for courses, but they are a legendary hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    My model Seafarer is Vermont 5.9m.... It has the sam hull as the 5.9 Victory..
    My transom is rated to 250hp. I believe it is a factory option..
    thanks for correcting me jabba. the only thing that made me think was this link.

http://www.seafarerboats.com/content...ID=31&mainID=2

cheers tassie JR

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Tenzing,

Thanks for the compliments.

The trailer is new, and the photo was taken on the first outing on it. After that shot was taken, I went and exchanged those rollers for a quad set. You can see it in the other pics, it is all sorted now.

The stainless targa is factory fitted. At the time, they were all built by Boat Fit here on the Goldie. The upholstery is all new. I have also put in a couple of cutouts to the front clear now for better ventilation and vision also.

Tassie, Before this boat I also owned a Southwind SF20 (Someone on here now owns that exact boat, after Leezor sold it). The ride on that boat was simply superb, but nowhere near as dry as the Victory. It is still one of my all time favourite boats. It rode as good as the Victory.

Regards

Darren

We used to have a southwind sf 640 and it was a very dry boat always felt safe in it and it was a great sea boat, i know the southwind you are talking about and it looked a awsome boat, i personally cant comment on the ride of the seafarers as i havent been in one but i know from what i have heard they are a great boat and im not dissing them at all.

cheers tassie JR

For those interested, there are two new Modern Boating tests out on both the Victory and Voyager.

Victory:

http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat.../V-for-Victory

Voyager:

http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat...685/On-Voyager

Thought I would add some photos of the new and improved version - she is about 35 years old and still feels like its made of concrete...
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    If you read my first post it states, 45mph into a lumpy 2.5m swell, I cruise between 30-35mph..... Yeah, my balls were up in my mouth when I first opened up the throttle.... My main fear was if I got air and a chop smacked the stern, I would come down bow first and nose dive...... As it happened I only got prop vent twice, and it was only for a fraction of a second each time..... Interestingly the ride a 45mph was smoother then it was at 35mph...

Also my definition off lumpy is a chop that is left over from the day before...
    That is the funniest thing Ive ever heard 45 mph into 2.5mt crap ,All these seafarers must be different to any Ive ever been in cause theve all ridden as hard as a harlots heart and been wet as buggery when the seas get up Even the flagship 6.8 voyager sucks big time and before I get belted go out in one in $hit conditions and tell me Im wrong. Glad I discovered this thread very entertaining, Id call it the Seaspearer propaganda thread but Still laughing at some of the stuff on here Venus better then Haines HAHAHAHAHAHAhA

Run out of room...... still laughin guts now sore unable to get up...warm feeling ...oops How modern boating can call that a boat test is beyond me but we all know the storey, if these monkeys told the truth about anything most of the manufacturers would never give em another boat

Mate, without commenting on individual comments above, I think some of us are in a position to judge boat build, boat finish and boat handling enough to say that our Seafarers are at a particular standard...and we have...and for good reason. I do not say that my Seafarer is better than any other boat out there, but its an excellent rig in its own right and Seafarer is one of those brands that has a cult following and high re-sale (they dont need a propaganda thread as you call it) and this is merely a thread appreciating the attributes that make the brand a mark. As much as Haines Hunter (Australian and then Sig') is a mark.

Cheers

They are not a bad boat ,nor imho are they great ,and they will never go down in history as classic timeless hulls (except for that yella one that does 400mph into25m seas)

I disagree with you about timeless hulls - the use of the early ones by coast guard (pre-cats) sees to that. Adding to that are the Jeff Webster mags, Trailerboat Fisherman (Marinews), the old timers that have been through many hulls in adverse conditions to name a couple of examples ensure that many of the Fry hulls are indeed timeless. You will not find a discussion on good fishing boats that do not include Seafarer (of course along with Haines, Carribean, Savages etc - and of course certain hulls more than others).

But, alas, I dont mind what your opinion is of them.

Cheers