Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie JR View Post
    And just wondering jabba your seafarer with the 250 etec, that model boat is only rated to a 225 hp moter which means u blow ur insurance straight away and thats alot of money to not have insured. Correct me if im wrong on the year of your boat that is for a 08 vermont 5.9m
    My model Seafarer is Vermont 5.9m.... It has the sam hull as the 5.9 Victory..
    My transom is rated to 250hp. I believe it is a factory option..

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    Hey Darren.
    A beautiful boat for sure. I am fair dinkum in love with my victory. couldnt ask for a better boat. My wife reckons i can sleep with the boat if I spend any more time with it. Sounds fair enough.
    Darren I was intersted in the front right roller on your trailer not contacting the hull. Is that ok?
    Brendan

PS. Your roof and clears look fabulous. Are they new? I am fairly tall and that is my only criticism of the design , the top is a little low when standing
    Tenzing,

Thanks for the compliments.

The trailer is new, and the photo was taken on the first outing on it. After that shot was taken, I went and exchanged those rollers for a quad set. You can see it in the other pics, it is all sorted now.

The stainless targa is factory fitted. At the time, they were all built by Boat Fit here on the Goldie. The upholstery is all new. I have also put in a couple of cutouts to the front clear now for better ventilation and vision also.

Tassie, Before this boat I also owned a Southwind SF20 (Someone on here now owns that exact boat, after Leezor sold it). The ride on that boat was simply superb, but nowhere near as dry as the Victory. It is still one of my all time favourite boats. It rode as good as the Victory.

Regards

Darren

And heres a Pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie JR View Post
    Hey mate i have personally been for a run in a 19 foot allison and to be honest i was not happy with the ride at all. i think that southwind made one of the best fibreglass hulls around up with cruisecraft and haines hunter, and what i have heard seafarer make a great hull as well.

And just wondering jabba your seafarer with the 250 etec, that model boat is only rated to a 225 hp moter which means u blow ur insurance straight away and thats alot of money to not have insured. Correct me if im wrong on the year of your boat that is for a 08 vermont 5.9m
    Fellas,

First point is that the 19" Allison is not in any way indicative of the ride in a Victory/Vermont. Owe yourself to try one first-hand that is properly set-up on a rough afternoon, then put it up against the boats you mentioned for comparison sake. Also pay attention to finish, fittings, build quality, etc. and re-sale value. I agree though, I think Southwind did have a good range.

Secondly, the 5.9 Vermont could be rated to 250 from the factory (as per Jabba's boat which is an 04). Get under the back end of any Seafarer and have a look at the level of raw material in the transom. The half-pods that are moulded off the running surface give the back plenty of lift without the need for planning planks, etc. that harshen the ride, and hence, they can float the big HP engines no problem. In this case, I think the 250's were only set-up for experienced operators, with the majority going out with 175's and 200's. The Evinrude 200/225/250 all weigh the same, just different HP (prior to the new 3.4Ltr E-TEC 250's and 300's). I think Jabba would know all about insurance parameters, etc. Put it this way, the 200 on ours provides a lot of grunt, and the 150/175 perfect. The 250 is just for those that love power!

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    And heres a Pic.
    yeah nice job,
    Brendan

just read most of this and reckon the only really accurate posts are from Smithy way back on page 1 or 2, I mentioned his type of comments before and got a toweling, even though I have owned and sold Seafarers for a lot of years, they are OK Boats, but not the be all to end all, and the guy who reckons his Alison is the only Boat that can handle big seas has been off his medication for way too long!

OK, now that I have all my safety gear on to protect me from any rocks that will be thrown at me, does anyone know why all Seafarers Boats start with a V? eg Venus, Vagabond, Viper, Viking and on and on!

Hi Noelm

Just re read the comments you referred to. Why do they all start with "V" ?

Was it because Lindsays and his Dads typewriter could only do "'V" s in caps and all the rest were lower case?

Veronica Lake was their favourite actor?

Shame Smithy doesn't still own the one 115 HP that used to overheat. One of mine did that too and after a fair bit of head and other body part scratching I finally sorted it out with a small triangle file, a drill with a honeing stone and some windscreen wiper stiffening stainless steel and a pair of pliers. No more issues with it but i can certainly relate to the pain in the neck it was when it shut down to limp mode and the other one was fine.

Still reckon they are damn good motors and with 20" Rakers not too bad on fuel either.

So after your post 81 what is the be all to end all?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I guess the be all to end all is an almost mythical thing, lots of Boats appeal to different people for a variety of reasons, some because they can do 40knots in a gale, some because some writer told them they are great, Seafarers are indeed a fine Boat, a very wet Boat, especialy if trolling into a decent chop, but none the less, the newer ones are quite well finished and fitted out, the old Vikings and V seas could hardly be said to be well equipped or finished, and the next one with a rotten floor or transom will not be the last, I guess if someone could come up witha Boat that had everything in it, was finished like a rolls royce, could be towed with a mini, had the stability of a cat, went through decent chop without a trip to the chyropractor after, used less than 5 litres an hour, went over 30 knots, looked great, costs bugger all to buy, never needed a service, then that would be the be all to end all, untill then we can only have some of those things!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I guess the be all to end all is an almost mythical thing, lots of Boats appeal to different people for a variety of reasons, some because they can do 40knots in a gale, some because some writer told them they are great, Seafarers are indeed a fine Boat, a very wet Boat, especialy if trolling into a decent chop, but none the less, the newer ones are quite well finished and fitted out, the old Vikings and V seas could hardly be said to be well equipped or finished, and the next one with a rotten floor or transom will not be the last, I guess if someone could come up witha Boat that had everything in it, was finished like a rolls royce, could be towed with a mini, had the stability of a cat, went through decent chop without a trip to the chyropractor after, used less than 5 litres an hour, went over 30 knots, looked great, costs bugger all to buy, never needed a service, then that would be the be all to end all, untill then we can only have some of those things!
    Noel,

Sorry, but in the case of the Victory you are seriously misinformed. This boat is boat number 16 i've owned, and driven literally hunderds more (i'm a commercial skipper). It is THE driest boat in this size class I have ever driven. I've heard the story of Vags and Voyagers being wet, but quite frankly this only appears to be an issue at troll in the rough, where most boats would take some over the bow.

I owned a Venus 4.74 years ago, and it was an awesome boat for it's size, probably handled better than the Haines 575F I owned.

I do agree there is not a perfect boat for everyone, but everyone does have a perfect boat for them.

The Victory is pretty close to it for me, but I can guarantee I will own another boat at some point. It will be a pig to someone that wants to wakeboard and ski all weekend.

Regards

Darren

Can I place an order for one of those with you?

What about the V thing?

Darren

My Vag does get some water over the bow especially when your in short sharp swells over a meter / meter and a half particularly when your hanging out on the bow working an anchor. I did get wet once but soon learned about his little foible so its not an issue now. Those anchor retrievers with the SS split ring have multiple benefits!

Slow trolling in 1.5 to 2m or more is wet but then again not being a masochist that is not a major concern so all in all apart from Noelm's boat, that I've put an order in for and my other choice, that nice little 5.2m one we have talked about that would be a nice thing just to have; I'm sticking with the Vag.

C

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Aug,

A ficht is basically the first version of ETEC engine. It is still a 2 stroke with high pressure fuel injection, similar to an Optimax or HPDI Yamaha.

Regards

Darren
    Hi Darren how's things mate? Hey just curious how do you compare your new ride to the 5.2kc you used to own?? Not getting off topic here or coruptting it, im just curious I owned a 1984 seafarer viking once and wasnt very impressed. Havent been in any other models. Cheers, Deano.

Hey Deano,

Without question the Kevlacat 5.2 was good.

I don't like to compare them though, because to me it's apples against oranges.

Any Cat will handle softer than most monos, and be more stable. It also needs more power, more fuel, and more vehicle to tow. I am a big fan of cats, just not of the associated costs involved. A 23 Noosa Cat is my ultimate dream, but in reality I will never own one, i'll just operate other peoples.

I bought the Seafarer because it was cheaper (i'm a tight arse), a bigger boat, and more suited to my uses as an all rounder. The missus loves it and it will get more use than the KC did.

The KC needs to be walked a lot more, wheres the Victory just set it and go. I'm not after a speed record, just a comfortable and dry ride.

Regards

Darren

had an older Viking myself at one time, I also was not impressed, it was certainly OK for what it was, neither was my mate who got his at the same time and had it repaired a few times, and those dicky little fold up seats were a real surprise when one folds up beneath you and you land flat on your ar$e, or they drove you nuts banging back and forth against the side when they were folded up. no takers on the V thing yet?