Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    CT, Scottar summed it up. The clan at CC made big inroads on structural integrity, mould re-tooling, etc, since they took charge.

There's no perfect hull and they each have trade-offs. Build quality was the criticism of the boat I mentioned (deck flex).

Boats are only as good as their skippers and their set-up and at the end of the day a 19" boat built by Haines, Cruise Craft, etc is still a 19" boat.
    Just to further Ocean Spirit's comment a little - set up is also skipper dependent - just because skipper "X" likes things just so, doesn't mean that skipper "Y" isn't going to think that boat model "Z" handles like a pig. I have seen this first hand from industry experience where a clients driving style is so vastly different from the guy that designed / built the boat that the boat was eventually sold. Driven in the manner the hull was conceived around, the vessel was quite possibly a great design - just not the right fit for the bloke that bought it.

That is an interesting point you mention - driving style!.. What driving styles are best suited for a victory? -- I have experimented with a few and can keep things comfortable (I think?) generally, but, really interested in how a victory performs the best. Where it's strengths and weaknesses are in handling..

Anyone got a victory with the Volvo Penta QL tabs fitted?

Interested to hear from you and if so how you rate them, any issues fitting etc?

Seafarer Appreciation thread

Any mono 5m+ will benefit from tabs, some more than others, but all will benefit. Even Lord Fry boats! Even if they have 2... or more (!) motors ... Never seen this type of SF though (3 motors) .

The yanks have even found ways to have tabs on their bigger cats too! I like this.

There is a saying: "tabs are to trim the boat, motor trim is to trim the prop". This is based on science, but is not just a theory. Follow it and not only will you and your deckies backs like it, your wallet will like it too!

Not all boats are so sensitive to trim down sea. I don't really trim out down sea, even with 20+ up the clacker, and can run like this, with some tabs on, in the dark, and the AP on. The boat brand doesn't matter, they all have pros and cons. Mine is just really predictable down sea, even with all the tweaks I have done. - which makes it run very flat, hence should be more twitchy down sea.

However, turn around, up sea in the same conditions, and I am sure I wouldn't be able to keep up with an SF. If I did try, the deckies might be jumping ship . In this case I would just crank the tabs on, knock off a few knots, and get there in relative comfort ... 5 or 10 mins later .

Install tabs! Doesn't matter what type of tabs, or boat, or the numbers of motors it has. Yes, tabs can be a few $'s, but will be some of the best $'s you will spend on the boat.

Been plenty of threads on tabs over the years, here is one...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc...t-187197.html?

Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo BNE View Post
    That is an interesting point you mention - driving style!.. What driving styles are best suited for a victory? -- I have experimented with a few and can keep things comfortable (I think?) generally, but, really interested in how a victory performs the best. Where it's strengths and weaknesses are in handling..

It's not quite as simple as what driving style is best for a particular hull as variations as simple as different motor weights can make marked differences in a hulls capabilities to perform in particular fashions. As an example - IMO, the Victory is a much better balanced boat with a lightweight V6 (arguably the engine the vessel was designed around IMO). Having driven the 5.9 with a 150 Johnno, and my 6.0 with the much heavier 200HO, to say I was less than impressed with the set up of my own vessel when purchased in comparison to the 5.9 which I had quite a few hours in would be an understatement. Predominantly though - once again IMO, this was centred around my driving style when in rough water - which is to slow down to the point I can comfortably sit in the chair with the autopilot doing all the hard work. If I had been the sort of skipper who was happy to hang on and give it the beans, the boat would have needed nowhere near as much effort (time and money) put into tweaking the set up.

With any rig you will get variations in the answer to this sort of question because various owners will have their own definitions of "how it performs best" based subjectively around their own expectations and experiences.

Based purely on my own experience - The Victory is a good boat in a following sea. It is likely to dip when off plane in steep chop or pressure waves. With a heavier outboard, the performance of the vessel is vastly improved with the addition of aids that generate transom lift if you like to go slower in heavier seas. It is a good hull that offers a combination of stability at rest and good ride comfort.

Driving style, sea conditions, driving experience/skills, boat setup, hull shapes, weight distribution, damn, how many variables do you want. There are so many and they all have a marked influence on vessel performance and individual opinions. I've got the same rig as that one that started this thread that does a 100Kn into tsunamis and it handles well in most seas (maybe not as well as that yella one) as do most of the reputable vessels spoken about here. Having said that, it too has ducked under a short one or two at low speed as will any boat given a particular set of circumstances, eg; sea, swell, period, trim, aspect. It's all about driving to conditions for maximising safety, comfort and economy in my personal opinion. To say the handling of a particular brand is better than others needs consideration of all of these variables under exactly the same sea circumstances and in 50 years of boats I've never seen that with maybe the exception of a glassy sea, and how often have you seen that offshore. 20Kn will do for my Panadol Osteo maintained bones thanks.

Can a twin rigged vagabond be repowered with a single or are the single/twin pod setups significantly different?

Cheers
    Craig

they may not see you coming in the seafarer submarine but they sure will hear you with that etec on their.
    haha.

Craig - yes it can. What year was the hull built (or grab the last two digits of the HIN).

Some of this thread may enjoy the Regulator 23 tested by David Lockwood (refer Boatsales). IMO the best designed and built 23" hull on the market today. It also commands a nice price of $200K+...(reviewer acknowledges a) it is wet as with any deep vee console and b) it can lean as with all deep vee hulls that can be corrected with trim or tab adjustments).

My Vagabond had an SE Sports foil fitted to it when i bought it but no tabs. I hated the foil and took it off. I have had the same foil on a previous boat (Haines) and different brands on other boats and those boats were better for having the foils...each boat type and set up is different.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ocean Spirit

In your travels have you seen any twin 115 Vags re-powered with a single G2 225HO?

Oz

Definitely agree they like foils and tabs ie flat Lenco or Bennett tabs that don't drag and cut speed like some other one does .

Cheers
    Chimo

@Mark Andrews have you purchased a boat as yet or still toying? One experience in a nose heavy Vagabond is not enough time at the helm to pass judgement. Head over to the East Coast. Lindsay and I will take you for a run (with a decent helmsmen) and we'll find the right day... p.s. pack your brown undies.

Just thinking around repowered Vagabonds - definitely a number done at the factory over the years. I have been in a few old carby 115's were swapped over to single 200 Fichts / HPDI 200's. My honest answer is I would stick with twin's for the simple fact the hull performs better with them (some very different design principles in the stem and hull shape between a Victory and a Vagabond/Voyager). Same principle goes for the Formula 233...

Either that, or stick a Volvo diesel stern drive in it with duo props.

What about a pr of 115 HOs?

Or even the new 90 HO that are the v 4 115 block

Whats the engineering like on either of the above. I believe there are some differences but no sure what between the standard 115 and the 115HO.

Thoughts please.

Cheers
    Chimo

PS If you were going to even consider a Volvo wouldn't the lighter other brands be a better way to go?

Chimo, yes the sterndrive conversion would be a major change and was only a side remark (indeed there are other options). The 90HO is a perfect match (it's effectively a V4 producing 110hp). The 115HO is closer to your 120hp, however, my preference would be to fit 90's and pocket the change. Propped right you would notice improvements across the board by comparison to the existing carby's. If considering a repower, there is only one BRP dealer to consider locally (Downes Marine). They would fit to exacting requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Craig - yes it can. What year was the hull built (or grab the last two digits of the HIN).

Some of this thread may enjoy the Regulator 23 tested by David Lockwood (refer Boatsales). IMO the best designed and built 23" hull on the market today. It also commands a nice price of $200K+...(reviewer acknowledges a) it is wet as with any deep vee console and b) it can lean as with all deep vee hulls that can be corrected with trim or tab adjustments).
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Its a 99 model with factory twin rig 115 Fichts on what looks to be a fixed height “jacking plate”.
    Cheers
    Craig