Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

This one looks the goods just needs a trailer and best of all has a brand new Yamaha light weight 4 banger.
    Need to find someone over here I can test drive the victory with.
    Seafarer Victory Fibreglass Half Cabin with 2014 Yamaha 200HP eng on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1101203716

Certainly seems a well set up rig. Don't think too much of the ski pole in front of the bait table. Nothing that couldn't be sorted out though.

Don't forget the cost of a trailer too if you need one.

Mark

Looks a fine setup even with the extra strong center rod holder. Add a good Tinka trailer that is made for this hull would be a rig that is good to go for another 25 years.

When are you doing the test drive?

Cheers
    Chimo

Hi chimo haven't organised a test drive yet I will try get a ride in one over this side of the country before going any further.

A badly behaving vag.
    I bought one.
    Lifted motors and added trim tabs. Huge change for the better.
    With all the talk i always worried about dipping the nose. Its happened but not like i thought it might in fact most boaters can tell a story or two.
    It happened when trawling in the slop.
    I also found that when running beam on i trim that side slightly higher and spray is reduced by heaps.
    Goodluck on the hunt.

Cheers
    Stu

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stu

After you put a pair of 115HP HO s on can you let me know what you think?

Cheers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Scottar - you lucky bugger. That's the type of arvo when you appreciate 'em.

Mark, impossible to comment on a specific set up from photos alone. A couple of observations I picked up from the photos - looks like the twin rig transom (full width pod and the other give away is the dual binnacle dash mould). A good mate had one with a 200 HPDI and it went like a scalded cat. Always used for bar work and run hard. The 6.2 can throw a bit of water off that back chine running without the weight of twins on the ass. I haven't spent any time on the Haines assembled Seafarer hulls.

You do owe it to yourself to go for a run in a properly set up Victory, and find a day when you can run it in a decent swell. Drop the throttles down hill into it and beam onto it, and then do the same in a few other hulls and report back.

I remember taking a Cairns game boat skipper (who was running an Assegai at the time) out the Pin Bar after one of the cyclones off the Goldie. Was a pretty basic Victory with a 175 carby (real nicely balanced hull). Trimmed the engine right out and surfed a wave back in (all the stuff you aren't meant to do). The Victory is the pick of the hulls, no question. Hence why you'll find it in Jeff Webster's all time 10. It just works.

I have also heard on this forum that the mighty Bruise Craft 510 Outsider is a great sea boat...
    Mate what is wrong with trrimming up and getting on the back of a wave? Or do you mean actually surfing the face of the wave without broaching?

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Stu

After you put a pair of 115HP HO s on can you let me know what you think?

Cheers
    Chimo
    Had a chat with my service man about that.
    What about i wait until the gen 2 arrives.
    He mentioned a 90 HO based on the 115 block but why wouldn't you just go with the 115s.
    One trip of 144km ueed 102 lt.
    Cruised at av 4200rpm about 45-48kmph
    Besides, my finance manager is more keener to sell than to repower.

Cheers
    Stu

Good to read an appraisal from a 6.2 owner who clearly knows how to drive his boat (and set it up properly).

OZScott - yes, we weren't in the place you should be! Had a very experienced crew of old sea dogs on board. Boat was an older 6.0 Victory that had over 2,500 hours on it and had been bashed and belted down in South Australia and we had traded on a new build 6.8 Voyager - we were given the task of trying to kill the thing - all the crew knew what to do if things went to custard. That said, never did, and proved to me how sure footed that little hull is.

Bloke called Matty Walton is selling one on Bookface.

2006 Seafarer vagabond 6.2
    $63,000Caboolture, Queensland

Exceptional fishing and family boat a 2006 Lyndsay Fry built Seafarer Vagabond 6.2 re-powered in 2014 with 225hp Suzuki 4 stroke a great off shore boat. One owner, this boat has been garaged since new. Features: Motor under warranty until 2019 Garmin digital gauges Fuel management system JRC55F covered sounder Navman GPS plotter Deck wash Live bait tank 250 litres under floor fuel for longer trips Duel batteries Ski pole Trim tabs Bait board Rod holders All safety gear Hydraulic steering Porta potty toilet Seafarer tinka multi roller trailer

Last edited by Smithy; 30-01-2016 at 04:34 PM.

We have our 2006 Seafarer vagabond 6.2 for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    I spent a day in a mates 6.2 Vag with twin 115 Rudes the other day and was very impressed with how comfortably it handled a head sea of up to about a metre in 15 knots. I also thought it was nicely stable at rest. All was good until the trip home in the same conditions with a following sea. We came off a somewhat backless wave at about 40 kph and the boat decided to impersonate a submarine. It was the scariest thing I've ever had happen offshore. The sight of solid water coming up the windscreen and pouring through the open clears was unbelievable. Then it did it for a second time!

Obviously it wasn't trimmed up enough! However, can people enlighten me how common this behaviour really is and how it can be combated. I was really happy with the boat otherwise and had mentally added it to the list of suitable replacements for my current boat but that put me off in a big way. Without starting the usual mine's better bullshit, I've never had that happen in my old Cruise Craft. I happily let my wife drive it in any conditions we go out in but if I bought a Vag that entered submarine mode on her she'd never go out in it again. Despite popular opinion, that isn't a good thing! Was it just driver error or are they just that much of an owners/drivers hull? Do the Victory's do it?

Cheers
    Craig

Did it have trim tabs Craig?

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

No mate, it didn't. The owner reckoned that with twins it didn't need them. I don't have experience with tabs to know how effective they would have been.