Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Build plate of the bunbury boat don't know if this can help confirm the hull build.

As Scottar said (and I had said a few posts back) the boat at Sports Marine is an LF hull and deck moulding (ex Mermaid Beach) with a Haines Group fit out. Just talk to Greg (he'll provide an honest appraisal). A lot of completed hull and decks went to Haines during the sale process between November 2007 - February 2008.

Mark - about time you stopped looking and just purchased one for yourself...!

yer yer short arms and deep pockets Ocean I really need to make sure im getting the right boat I cant afford to swap and change.
    Its either one of these our keep saving for a edenfraft 6m offshore.
    I think im going to pull the trigger on this one just waiting for the bush fires to clear to get down south.
    1 thing that does concern me is the duck diving talk.
    Cheers.

hey Mark
    just back from adding another 10 hrs driving time to the vic.
    All boats have idiosyncrasies , and thats one of the vic"s
    You just learn to drive it so most times not an issue, same as cats and other boats
    Not a concern at all re purchase.
    Cheers
    Brendan

I understand. In all seriousness Mark, as Tenzing said, it's not an issue on the Victory, the Vagabond has more weight up front as a cuddy but will ride flatter and can butcher a bar better than anything pound for pound. If you sit in swell in neutral or in gear in a good sized swell you'll get wet in any 19"-20" mono. People forget these are 19" deep vee boats, not a 40" game boat.

The 6.0/6.2 is still a drivers hull, but a very forgiving one. The 6.8 hull demands more attention again and comes into its own from above 25 knots (23 deadrise) - anyone who has driven a 233 would appreciate - but that may not be for everyone.

Well 1200klm later and I'm home again I hope the victory is a hell of a lot better then the Vagabond dash was completely wet within 2mins of leaving the boat ramp this was with a full set of clears.
    All in about 1.5 foot of chop in the bay no swell.
    Trimming the engine out basically done nothing except make the prop cavitate boat just sat flat the hole time.
    Any side on wind which was about 15knots the boat would roll over to about 45deg definitely needs trim tabs.
    no one would be able to sit down the back on anything less then a glassed of day without getting completely drenched.
    i will say that this boat obviously needs setting up a lot better then it is sail track prop tabs etc.
    Only positive i can take out of it is that it was very stable @ rest.

I told ya so...
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post
    Well 1200klm later and I'm home again I hope the victory is a hell of a lot better then the Vagabond dash was completely wet within 2mins of leaving the boat ramp this was with a full set of clears.
    All in about 1.5 foot of chop in the bay no swell.
    Trimming the engine out basically done nothing except make the prop cavitate boat just sat flat the hole time.
    Any side on wind which was about 15knots the boat would roll over to about 45deg definitely needs trim tabs.
    no one would be able to sit down the back on anything less then a glassed of day without getting completely drenched.
    i will say that this boat obviously needs setting up a lot better then it is sail track prop tabs etc.
    Only positive i can take out of it is that it was very stable @ rest.
    Maybe its just THAT Vag /
    Tick to tabs and sailtrak etc , but it shouldnt have behaved like that if eveything was as it should be.

CUE CHIMO.

Cheers
    Brendan

Brendon

No doubt by now Mark has been in a number of different boats so he should be clear about what he wants.

As you say Brendan, perhaps in time he may experience a number of test drives same breed of boat and notice the differences that result from the way they have been set up and how they respond to being driven in different conditions.

Undoubtedly if he knows what he wants and if he knows how to achieve it and is prepared to spend the necessary $s then all will be well. Experience is a handy thing to have in playing around in boats. That's why they call them B O A T if you know what I mean.

Without being there one really cannot comment on Mark's last test drive. We wish him well in his quest. No doubt this thread has some distance to run, perhaps it will shift to other brands, who knows

Cued with interest and awaiting the next chapter in this saga

Cheers
    Chimo

I appreciated being in my Seafarer this afternoon as I passed a few poor soles running into the 20 knot south easter between Peel and Viccy Point this arvo. Trimmed in, tabs down, 3000rpm - snug as a bug in a rug

Scottar - you lucky bugger. That's the type of arvo when you appreciate 'em.

Mark, impossible to comment on a specific set up from photos alone. A couple of observations I picked up from the photos - looks like the twin rig transom (full width pod and the other give away is the dual binnacle dash mould). A good mate had one with a 200 HPDI and it went like a scalded cat. Always used for bar work and run hard. The 6.2 can throw a bit of water off that back chine running without the weight of twins on the ass. I haven't spent any time on the Haines assembled Seafarer hulls.

You do owe it to yourself to go for a run in a properly set up Victory, and find a day when you can run it in a decent swell. Drop the throttles down hill into it and beam onto it, and then do the same in a few other hulls and report back.

I remember taking a Cairns game boat skipper (who was running an Assegai at the time) out the Pin Bar after one of the cyclones off the Goldie. Was a pretty basic Victory with a 175 carby (real nicely balanced hull). Trimmed the engine right out and surfed a wave back in (all the stuff you aren't meant to do). The Victory is the pick of the hulls, no question. Hence why you'll find it in Jeff Webster's all time 10. It just works.

I have also heard on this forum that the mighty Bruise Craft 510 Outsider is a great sea boat...

Really Mr Spirit? The 510s are good? Well they MUST be if YOU say so! I wouldn't know, I've got a 580 and love it. Just in case you were being sarcastic (the "bruise craft" thing is a dead give away), if the 510 that you rode in wasn't brilliant, then OBVIOUSLY it wasn't set up right from the factory and/or it was in the hands of someone who wasn't capable of getting the best out of it. There's NO WAY it could be a dodgy hull. That's what you say right? I read your Vagabond substitute list with great interest wondering if you'd tried each of those boats in 10 different configurations to be able to say which ones were really good. I'd say you have.

I'd love a Victory too, Don't think I'm anti Seafarer. I have learned not to believe everything that's on the internet...
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Just a joke mate... Fishy you obviously enjoy what you've got now mate, end of story.