Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Mate, really depends on what I am doing on the day, weather conditions etc..

On average for an offshore trip I am getting around 1.2km/l maybe slightly better which for a heavy rig with that horsepower I think is not too bad and that's not driving conservatively either..

I do like to get into her when I can!

2005 victory
    175 4 st suzuki
    9X12 Bennetts tabs - dont be afraid to cut the boards. ( I have the led switches, dont care what others think, find them very useful )
    LONG term av .6 to .7 litres per km at speed.
    .9 to 1 at WOT
    Trolls down to .4
    one or 2 little additions left to go .
    225 litres underfloor plus 50 l water under bunk

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo BNE View Post
    What sort of fuel economy do you get with the Honda?, I seem to get around 1.1km/l above about 35km/h speed with an ETEC 200.
    Thinking that adding tabs should reduce the depth of the dip in fuel economy on the chart below (measured off our boat) by letting it plane at a slower speed.. -- That's the theory anyway ..
    Had a look at a bunch of curves from different engine tests around on Victories and they don't seem to have such a big dip as mine, wondering if the had tabs on those boats.
    It will be an interesting comparison to see how things behave when logging over time with different mods.
    Attachment 111099
    It will flatten the fuel curve considerably Seppo. I fitted Lectrotab 12x9's but 12x12's will fit under the steps. I also fitted a Permatrim and a 4 blade prop. The standard Viper prop that seemed to be fitted is a good allround prop but does seem to have a heap of slip when really under load. When I first got my Victory, at a slow plane (3000-3500) I would be burning a litre every 600 metres. Now, not only does the boat hold a plane at those sort of revs so much easier but the fuel burn is down to about 1-1.1 KM/L.

My tab installation is more or less identical to Chimo's - Lots of measurement and then a holesaw through the step. I fitted the planes first and then worked out where the hole needed to be and how much oversize it needed to be to allow for the movement. I found that drawing up a side projection helped immensely with this. Once the holes were cut, a bit of flowcoat to seal the glass edge and then put them in.

Adding fuel at sea with the position of the filler is a bit dicey - spills and water down the filler nozzle in rough conditions are a real hazard. To combat this I have cut my rear breather hose and fitted a male/female fitting into it that I sourced from Masters Hardware. I have also fitted the same fitting onto a syphon hose. I carry a couple of small shifters to break the breather line and attach the syphon hose. It does take a bit longer to add fuel due to the hose size but everything is done inside the cockpit at a nice controlled speed. You can if you wish lash the jerry can to the rod holder in the sidepocket, start the hose and let it do it's thing. Fittings I used were two of these - https://www.masters.com.au/product/9...d-tail-1-2x1-2
    and one of these - https://www.masters.com.au/product/9...piece-1-2-inch. Just confirm the size of your breather hose if you are going to go this way before getting your fittings.

Clever bugger Scottar making use of the breather hose that way. Especially if you filter the fuel into the jerry cans so its good to go and I'm sure you have that sown up too.

C
    C

I haven't needed to bother yet Chimo. Typically if I am boating I fill at my usual local and carry all fuel with me - I have a large margin of weight with the trailer specs. It's certainly something I will address though prior to doing a big trip away with one of the Mr Funnels units.

Seafarer Appreciation thread

Good morning all

I'm looking at upgrading to a 2000 model V-Sea which has a 115 hp Johnson that owner says has only 121 hours.

Boat appears in excellent condition

My questions are
    Is the 115 to much power for this boat ?
    The asking price is $20000. Is this a fair price ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

115 is a great motor, I have two of them with a few more hours than that; if it flies too high use less throttle.

Cheers
    Chimo

Cheers chimo

115 is great! I had the 5.0M venus with a 115. It toped out around 77km/h

Most of the 5.0Mtr MK1's and MK2's were fitted with OMC V4's (90 or 115hp).
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

First water test running the new G2 last weekend.
    Very impressive engine - good gains in fuel range, smooth across the RPM range, well matched to these hulls.
    IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

attachment didn't work mate.

OS

What motor did you take off?
    How much $ difference between the 200HO and 225 HO motors
    Can you post a pic of the dash too please.

Cheers
    Chimo

Seafarer Appreciation thread

Nice looking rig Ocean_Spirit

Ocean Spirit will no doubt post a bit more on the G2 in the future and I don't want to steal his thunder so to speak but we have run the G2 a couple of times now, once on it's own and once in direct comparison against my Victory. The difference in fuel economy and smoothness of operation are considerable to say the least. Certainly at this point in time I am nothing but impressed. I had more or less written the G2 off as a replacement engine on my own rig due to the setback and weight gain. I may have jumped the gun given the results thus far.