Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Chris Conroy is a boating journalist (still around).

Doug passed away in 1969 Dave - so no, he didn't appear in this. Lindsay is driving the Venom.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

Great to read your stories about your newer Seafarers.

I love my Seafare V-Sea which from a little research was built in the 70's.

Still very solid in the floor (never replaced). The transom was very soft when I bought it, so I replaced 80% of the transom myself.

currently running a 60hp Honda four stroke.

I find it a great sea boat and don't intend replacing it.

Pretty slick rig with a repower...
    IMG_2983.jpg
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

Hi Ocean Spirit

Your pic looks like this
    vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Seafarer's build quality is second to none!

Lindsay Fry was a perfectionist and it shows in his boats, I have a 2001 victory and people don't believe me when I tell them its 15 years old!

Its still running the original seafarer/tinka trailer too and going strong which is quite exceptional for a trailer that's been dunked in and out of saltwater it whole life with the boat being driven on and off!

Can see why these boats resale is still high for age that's for sure, great rigs..

On this topic, hoping a fellow seafarer owner can assist me I accidentally lost one of my small grey bungs from my live bait tank/insulated box..

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a replacement please??

I use a length of poly irrigation pipe (19mm I think) cut to the length I wanted, with some "V"s notched into the end that gets pushed into the plug socket. A bit of electrical tape is used if a tight enough seal can't be achieved. Having the drain in such a fashion prevents bait from sticking it's nose into the drain and overflowing the tank - also means that by some freak of nature if they do manage to block the pipe, the original drain acts as a secondary. Can't help with a retailer for the plugs - both mine were gone when the boat was purchased.

And if you fit a tee on top of the irrigation pipe with short lengths of the same or similar pipe with a 45 degree cut, with long section to the top, you will never get a vortex and the excess flow will run out and you should never get an overflow especially if the pipe is pushed down into the outlet to keep the tank level down a little as Scottar indicated above. Gotta luv your old Seafarer!

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Great to read your stories about your newer Seafarers.

I love my Seafare V-Sea which from a little research was built in the 70's.

Still very solid in the floor (never replaced). The transom was very soft when I bought it, so I replaced 80% of the transom myself.

currently running a 60hp Honda four stroke.

I find it a great sea boat and don't intend replacing it.
    I know which ones you are talking about. I had a look at them yesterday, they have 25mm on the bottom so see if you can find a plug similar.

Thanks Dave, appreciate your help as I had spent considerable time searching the net trying to find these bungs!

Another question for fellow seafarer owners, directed at victory owners..

What trim tabs are the best to fit with the least amount of modification to the rear duck boards/hull?

Is there any brands where you don't have to cut into them to fit..

I have a 2001 victory with a 200hp Honda on the bum, it rides awesome already and crazy to think but I am starting to get curious from what I have read that it could be even better?!

Hi Watto,
    I am on the mission of fitting tabs soon to our victory as well.. Ended up sizing up a set of 101XDS Lenco actuators with 12x12 edge mount tabs.
    Will need to weld up a custom stainless bracket from the actuator to tab, but, it looks like it will fit OK under the duckboard without cutting into the top plate. May need to trim the underside flange of the duckboard a little but will find out soon how it all goes.

Another recent install is a Muir DFF08 Winch - works a treat!! -- Things seem to add up in multiples of a thousand on boats for some strange reason ??

Had our victory for about 6 weeks so far- It's going great - but a bit more fuel tank capacity would be handy.

2008_01180281b.jpg2008_01180288j.jpg Or just fit standard 9 x 9 Lencos after you make a little hole. This is what the real Seafarer did on my Vag. Works a treat.

Cheers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo BNE View Post
    Hi Watto,
    I am on the mission of fitting tabs soon to our victory as well.. Ended up sizing up a set of 101XDS Lenco actuators with 12x12 edge mount tabs.
    Will need to weld up a custom stainless bracket from the actuator to tab, but, it looks like it will fit OK under the duckboard without cutting into the top plate. May need to trim the underside flange of the duckboard a little but will find out soon how it all goes.

Another recent install is a Muir DFF08 Winch - works a treat!! -- Things seem to add up in multiples of a thousand on boats for some strange reason ??

Had our victory for about 6 weeks so far- It's going great - but a bit more fuel tank capacity would be handy.
    Thanks for reply, let me know how this goes would like the simplest way with the least amount of modification if I decide to go down this road!

Already had the muir winch fitted from factory, came out fully optioned from new which was nice as everything has been done right..

The Muir is great for the bay and shallow water but found its way too slow for offshore..

I just use the anchor buoy and rope and chain set up under the floor for the deep stuff..

The fuel capacity is the biggest issue if you want to do lots and lots of miles, I am thinking I will do some mods at some stage and lose the killtank/storage compartment at the front of where the tank finishes now and extend to utilise that space but have to work out exactly how much more fuel that will give me and if its worth all the hassle.

Carrying Jerrys and filling at sea with the fuel filler where it is can be fun especially in a bit of weather!

I am pretty happy with the range I get from the 200hp Honda at the moment so we will see..

All boats = $$$$ certainly a luxury item of life!

What sort of fuel economy do you get with the Honda?, I seem to get around 1.1km/l above about 35km/h speed with an ETEC 200.
    Thinking that adding tabs should reduce the depth of the dip in fuel economy on the chart below (measured off our boat) by letting it plane at a slower speed.. -- That's the theory anyway ..
    Had a look at a bunch of curves from different engine tests around on Victories and they don't seem to have such a big dip as mine, wondering if the had tabs on those boats.
    It will be an interesting comparison to see how things behave when logging over time with different mods.
    kmL burn.JPG