Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    I had the first one, set up from the factory by his lordship Fry I assume, and it was the worst sea boat of its size I've ever been in. I changed the twin 115s to a single Suzi and played around with props and engine height and it was still a dog with fleas. Sorry to rain on the Seafarer parade, just saying what I think. I had a series 3 V Sea and it was brilliant, a 2003 Venus which was a reasonable boat, but the Venom was a pig. Wet, broach like bastard, slappy, and prop torque that was unfixable. I will say it was extremely stable at rest. Console was poorly designed, ok it looked good, but took up most of the floor space with very little storage or protection. It was also just screwed in and needed a proper fix.
    a breath of fresh air. Someone not blinded by that magical name " Seafarer "!

FishHard, isn't this the same boat:

http://www.australianboatmags.com.au...DF_Edition.pdf

If my dates align, this would have been during your ownership tenure. Didn't get the vibe from your comments that it was a "dog". Looking at your pod, it has been reworked, and not very well. And yes, that particular boat did have some history...

If you are telling me that your 580 Outsider rides better than your old Venom, then all I can say is that a) there was a serious set up issue or b) you couldn't drive a deep vee hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    FishHard, isn't this the same boat:

http://www.australianboatmags.com.au...DF_Edition.pdf

If my dates align, this would have been during your ownership tenure. Didn't get the vibe from your comments that it was a "dog". Looking at your pod, it has been reworked, and not very well. And yes, that particular boat did have some history...

If you are telling me that your 580 Outsider rides better than your old Venom, then all I can say is that a) there was a serious set up issue or b) you couldn't drive a deep vee hull.

One More Drop, mate we all know your opinion. Don't think you've been in one since the 1970's (built ones) though... would like to take you out in mine one day and show you how they perform.
    yes that's my boat. No the pod did not get reworked.
    Im over this thread and will leave you to it. You are obviously more cleverer and more experienceder than me, so I will just admit to being the fool (to save you coming out behind your veiled words) and we can all get on with life.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

With due respect, I think my commentary is far from veiled…! This is an appreciation forum, and perhaps best to express your appreciation for what you now own in another one. I can contribute some great photos to that. Look, you are entitled to an opinion. Everyone who owns a boat has one. Some boats just don't suit some owners who like the set and forget feel and don't like to "drive" their boats. Or who don't mind taking a boat to sea that wasn't well built from day 1. But the most successful mono trailerable hulls built (from the stables of the Haines family, John Hipkins, Fry, and others) do require some skills at the helm to get the most out of them. By no means am I purporting that Seafarer had the "best hulls" - but they are able to combine a good hull to begin with, with integrity in how they were built.

There are hundreds of Seafarer owners across Australia (many of whom have owned many other brands) who will firmly attest to their sea keeping ability. Like I said (and all I will say) is that there was some history to that old boat of yours (built in the mid 90's), and it has had some serious use.

The guy that owns the boat pictured above has owned some of the finest game boats and cruisers in Australia and he'd be nudging his 50th Seafarer with this one. If, indeed, they were "dogs" as you have described, I'd doubt he'd happily poor 80K into it.

OS

Please explain, $80K ? What is that going to buy (roughly) What size motor? etc
    Says he with two 115HP Old-tecs (probably run in by now)

Thanks
    Regards
    Chimo

See, you know better. I've spoken to plenty of dissatisfied Seaspearer owners, particularly of the 6.2m hull, but they couldn't be bothered posting like this, there's not much point. I'm defeated, you can act (more) smug now. It's ok.
    Dam, I was going to leave this alone!! Haha more fool me hey?!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Wow, that is some serious buying and selling to turnover 50 boats in one lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Wow, that is some serious buying and selling to turnover 50 boats in one lifetime.
    Must be good if you buy 50 of them.

[quote name="FisHard" post=1600054]I had the first one, set up from the factory by his lordship Fry I assume, and it was the worst sea boat of its size I've ever been in. I changed the twin 115s to a single Suzi and played around with props and engine height and it was still a dog with fleas. Sorry to rain on the Seafarer parade, just saying what I think. I had a series 3 V Sea and it was brilliant, a 2003 Venus which was a reasonable boat, but the Venom was a pig. Wet, broach like bastard, slappy, and prop torque that was unfixable. I will say it was extremely stable at rest. Console was poorly designed, ok it looked good, but took up most of the floor space with very little storage or protection. It was also just screwed in and needed a proper fix.[/QUOTE]

One more drop said "a breath of fresh air. Someone not blinded by that magical name " Seafarer "!"

Mate the heading is Seafarer Appreciation Thread. Of course you are going to get people posting appreciation of the brand. And the fact is they mostly made good boats and great boats. Of course there might be the odd one not so great but even those will still be better than a whole long listnof models out there. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    OS

Please explain, $80K ? What is that going to buy (roughly) What size motor? etc
    Says he with two 115HP Old-tecs (probably run in by now)

Thanks
    Regards
    Chimo
    Chimo - total cost after factoring in cost of the boat, repower, etc. Probably more than that by the time complete. But $80K - $90K is still $40K - $50K, saving on new and for that you have essentially all new replacement equipment for the gear that typically fails on a 10 year old boat (trailer overhaul including replacement of braking system, electronics re-wired and replaced, reupholstered, repowered). The new G2's start in the early 30's (RRP) but keep in mind that includes the power assisted steering system, digital touch screen gauge, fly by wire controls, stainless steel propeller, etc. The rigging on them is certainly neat.

The boat has been purchased for a trip (to accompany a mothership). I guess when you buy specific boats for long-range expeditions, you do quickly rack up 50 trailer boats in 50 years pretty quickly. For a lot of Seafarer buyers (like with other brands), it becomes a passion, and the boats hold their own on the resale market. The owner (like many others) swears by them.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    See, you know better. I've spoken to plenty of dissatisfied Seaspearer owners, particularly of the 6.2m hull, but they couldn't be bothered posting like this, there's not much point. I'm defeated, you can act (more) smug now. It's ok.
    Dam, I was going to leave this alone!! Haha more fool me hey?!

Fishard, what was the logic in commenting here? There is no way you were or are ever going to agree with someone who buys a new etec , let alone admits to it.
    Especially if they have already shown a strong attraction for 'modern day info' as opposed to the mere 35yrs boating experience that you might offer to share.
    Also, I think you can tick the 'caught a legal red' for sure now.
    One More Drop, you can go away too. Go help Mr Nanks.
    I just cut a hole in the floor of my boat. Bye
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

OS

What Seafarer model are we talking about?
    Are you saying your fitting more than one G2?
    I thought the smallest was 200HP, has this changed?
    Where are you planning on taking it it?
    Assuming maybe incorrectly that its for you?

Cheers
    Chimo

Or PM if you wish

It really does depend on the hull set up. Talk to enough owners, and a common theme appears - set up is crucial on a high horsepower, deep V hull of any persuasion. Couple this with different expectations and driving styles and you will find owners of any brand of boat that both swear by or loath any particular hull. Part of the issue is our price driven market place - things like trim tabs (in my opinion, an almost mandatory item on boats this size) can make a huge difference to a hulls performance. Skippering styles make a huge difference too - if a designer/builder has a skippering style where he drives his boats hard, the boat will typically be built to handle in that driving style. As such, if you are the type of skipper that prefers to set a slower, less frenetic pace then the same hull is probably going to require a markedly different set up (I know mine did) to get good performance. Unfortunately the laws of physics sort of make it exceptionally difficult for a designer to achieve both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    OS

What Seafarer model are we talking about?
    Are you saying your fitting more than one G2?
    I thought the smallest was 200HP, has this changed?
    Where are you planning on taking it it?
    Assuming maybe incorrectly that its for you?

Cheers
    Chimo

Or PM if you wish
    Chimo - 6.2 hull (centre console per the one in my photo above), 1 x G2 200XH. Boat will be used predominantly in Sth East Qld, but trip is up North. Will message you.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

I worked for seafarer when this boat was built. They built some awesome boats and I'm a big fan, and I have owned many seafarers in my 40 odd boat ownership.

It is common knowledge however that the 6.2m hull that this boat is based upon has a habit of dipping the nose and taking some water over the how. Any research into the vagabond which was a popular cabin boat based on this hull would show this trait is common.

I take it from the seaspear comment this was a big issue for fishard. Basic research should have prepared you for this trait. I've heard it mentioned many times on this forum.

Darren

Darren