Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Appreciation thread

Re: Seafarer Appreciation thread

How's the Obrein going Woo?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Getting close to a splash mate, then we can bolt in the trinkets and finishing touches that thieves would steal while its on the hard stand.
    Teak deck going down but bit of a hold up with the guy being half way through it then getting quite ill. He'll be back though.
    And flybridge hardtop is horn.... well it's going to be horn. We did a test fit and check measure of the carbon skin and targa arch Friday and I think it's going to look great.

Cool, can't wait to see it. I've done a few charters on a 89' Obrein 40 and it's an awesome rig!

The one 8.5m Seafarer with tower and diesel leg is at Hervey Bay and owned by Paul Rosman. He has been an AF member before.

BOTY.jpg

A classic shot...
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

A mate went to the show today and sent these photos of the haines 2015 victory
    Thanks Adam
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

She's looks nice, though not much different. Competitive price.

IMG_2891.jpg

The first Seafarer in Australia to be fitted with a new Evinrude G2. A pretty special project this boat - and had some very experienced/quality tradespeople associated with it (including a good member of this forum).

I will put some more images up in due course, but let's just say, a modern face-lift to breath some life into a legendary hull.

I had a quick look at this boat and new G2 in the box the other day!.. New shiny things are always soooo good looking !
    It will be really nice when on the water ..

On other Seafarer news - our new for us Victory has been getting a super workout over the last few weeks.. Went for a trip in a 6.3m plate alum boat with 2x DF115's.... and I prefer the Victory hands down!
    Having a bar crossing course with Bill Corten next week, I think he has a Cruisecraft - will be looking forward to learning heaps and seeing how the CC feels in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    IMG_2891.jpg

The first Seafarer in Australia to be fitted with a new Evinrude G2.

A pretty special project this one and one I am proud to be associated with - always good to be back around the old product and good people associated with it (including a good member of this forum).

I will put some more images up in due course, but let's just say, a complete retooling of a classic boat.
    I hope they went deep into every aspect of this boat with the retooling. Really deep.

What do you mean by that FisHard? Lost me mate...

Nothing "retooled" on the hull. Engine came off - transom like it left the factory.

It was pulling 55MPH with the old G1 and sat dead flat in the water like a properly set-up one. No bounce, no lean, etc. That's generally what happens when you have it set up right to begin with at the factory and not a haphazard dealer who tend to stuff it up (permanently).

I had the first one, set up from the factory by his lordship Fry I assume, and it was the worst sea boat of its size I've ever been in. I changed the twin 115s to a single Suzi and played around with props and engine height and it was still a dog with fleas. Sorry to rain on the Seafarer parade, just saying what I think. I had a series 3 V Sea and it was brilliant, a 2003 Venus which was a reasonable boat, but the Venom was a pig. Wet, broach like bastard, slappy, and prop torque that was unfixable. I will say it was extremely stable at rest. Console was poorly designed, ok it looked good, but took up most of the floor space with very little storage or protection. It was also just screwed in and needed a proper fix.

Bill's CC is a big heavy bugger and loves the bar. I had a ball driving it. In Moreton Bay chop however the ride of my Vagabond (despite being smaller and lighter) was better. Bill knew it would be as he made the comment on the way back in. His CC is a nice beast but valued at 5 times what my 40 year old girl would be so fair one.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Fishard, I think I remember talking to you about yours. Shame it never made it back to the factory to actually look at your set-up. Then again, you can always have a lemon, regardless of the brand. The first Venom had twin 115's and won BOTY, FBOTY on release, was a great boat (I drove it back in 2003/04 and it still had twin carby's). Owned by Trevor Hendy. So I don't think yours was #1 and not many were set-up by the factory until around early 2000's (most of the Brisbane based boats were sold via either Stones Corner Marine or Northside Marine) and some of these fit-ups were very questionable - which is why they took it all in-house.

Seafarer Venom 6.2Mtr.jpg

One of the Venom's (with twin's) was used in filming Pacific Drive and was thrashed - I think it (or another one) ended up on an oyster lease at 40+ knots. It was rebuilt by some backyard mob. Yes, something like that would give you some headaches if you happened to pick that one up (see news article).

scan0001 (7).jpg

The twin rig transom wasn't designed for a single either - they had a different pod, so never recommend anyone repowering with a single unless they had the single pod.

Regarding your comment on the console, they have to be screwed in mate to access the tank. Not sure what other great design idea you would have if you were building a production range that had shared DNA in the hull mould, and you needed to fabricate deck moulds to then fit the floor. They were called a sports console for a reason. Some different consoles were fitted with a higher, narrower frame (akin to the yank boat designs and T-Frame). I'd like to be a fly on the wall when a customer went to repower and was told the console was glassed to the floor over the tank and wiring loom. If you have a look at the sides of the Bruise Craft in your profile pic - all screwed in (and certainly not 42 screws, with glassed shrouds like in the Venom console). Most of the modern boat brands have everything screwed in. No issues here - unless the fitter hasn't done it properly when rigging the engines. Never seen one flex or move. Yeah the presentation might be dated but it was designed for 4" mono Lowrance's and 10-12 gauges in 1995, so yes, things have changed, but not hard to change if you have the skills. So not sure what issue you had with the console.

I owned the boat in your pictures. I stand by my comments and opinion re its sea keeping abilities having done 100 or so hours in it with the original twins, then another 120 or so with the 200 Suzi (loved that motor). It was a pig.
    Will admit it cranked pretty well (in calm water) with the 115s. And they weren't too bad on fuel considering.
    Re the console, originally there was perhaps 10 self tappers holding it in place, these flogged out pretty quick so I upgraded there size and doubled the quantity. That didn't work either so I had a boat builder modify it so the console could be bolted (like it should have been done).
    Re the "Bruise Craft" agree that the Seafarer was generally better built. I bought the Bruise Craft knowingly with a doggy transom, and the boat builder discovered in fact it had already been done, so this is its 3rd transom in 24 years. Same boat builder does not see many Seafarers in proportion to other popular brands, so obviously Sir Fry had some good quality processes.
    But, even though the "Bruise Craft is half a metre shorter, it would out run the "Seaspearer" in any direction. Well, maybe the Seaspearer might cut through a 20cm bay chop at a higher velocity, but that would be it. I friggin love my little Bruise Craft.