Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dawn at the Pin from Crusoe

Re: Dawn at the Pin from Crusoe

I know that I can still make the files smaller but I am still learning. Here is an attempt at rotating and cropping on two of the photos. I will get the idea. Not perfect but better.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Guys,

Those photos are fantastic.

Cheers
    NMT

Andrew, the quickest way to check if your horizon is off and by how much is as follows: Use your cropping tool to draw a rectangle from the top of the pic down to the horizon. The bottom of the crop line , resting on the horizon, will show if it is out and you can also gauge how many degrees to then tilt it.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Andrew, the quickest way to check if your horizon is off and by how much is as follows: Use your cropping tool to draw a rectangle from the top of the pic down to the horizon. The bottom of the crop line , resting on the horizon, will show if it is out and you can also gauge how many degrees to then tilt it.

kev
    Thanks Kev. When I did that I realized just how out it was. The only problem I found is that when I rotate the picture is doesn't seem to have a fine enough adjustment which means that it either goes not far enough or too far. This is when using the mouse to click and hold the image to do the rotation. I am assuming that you must be able to use the keyboard keys to do the same thing but I haven't worked out which keys work. Will get there one day.

Poodroo

Andrew, do you have Irfanview?

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Andrew, do you have Irfanview?

kev
    Kev I don't have it but have heard of it. Obviously you have it and think it is good. It is another photo editing program is it not? Where can I get it?
    Noticed a lot of threads getting moved of late too but that is normally cool but Footy Tips being made a sticky thread? What is with that? Nothing to do with fishing in any way is it? Lol

Poodroo

Here is a different type of photo taken yesterday.. I like it.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Here is a different type of photo taken yesterday.. I like it.

Poodroo
    You're getting into that photography stuff mate

Just google irfanview and download it for free, along with the plug ins.

It's nothing great, being basically a viewer, but it does resize and rotates. When you get it, bring up one of your pics with a crooked horizon point the cursor at the top left of the pic, left click then drag and you will get a cropping rectangle. Put the bottom part of the rectangle on the horizon and you will get a rough idea which way the horizon is tilted. Then click on Image in the menu and come down to "custom/fine rotation and click on that. A dialogue box will appear with an "angle" dialogue, normally defaulted to -2. This is giving you the option to tilt your image + is clockwise and - is anti-clockwise. Set it to the amount you think that you need to tilt it, then check it as I explained in the beginning with the cursor (crop rectangle). When you get it straight, then do a crop to get the white bits off the edges.

Sounds long winded but 2 minutes in front of the screen with me, and you would have it off pat..........if you can't suss it, I'll show you next time you call round.

kev

You're getting into that photography stuff mate

Just google irfanview and download it for free, along with the plug ins.

It's nothing great, being basically a viewer, but it does resize and rotates. When you get it, bring up one of your pics with a crooked horizon point the cursor at the top left of the pic, left click then drag and you will get a cropping rectangle. Put the bottom part of the rectangle on the horizon and you will get a rough idea which way the horizon is tilted. Then click on Image in the menu and come down to "custom/fine rotation and click on that. A dialogue box will appear with an "angle" dialogue, normally defaulted to -2. This is giving you the option to tilt your image + is clockwise and - is anti-clockwise. Set it to the amount you think that you need to tilt it, then check it as I explained in the beginning with the cursor (crop rectangle). When you get it straight, then do a crop to get the white bits off the edges.

Sounds long winded but 2 minutes in front of the screen with me, and you would have it off pat..........if you can't suss it, I'll show you next time you call round.

kev
    I might call around real soon and thanks for the tips and info Kev. I am starting to enjoy the photography more and more. (Well as much as one can with an average camera).

Poodroo

I downloaded Irfanview and it is much better at doing the fine adjustment required for rotating thanks. Funny thing is that I have a Cannon Scanner here that I didn't ever set up on the computer for whatever reason and just today I was required to email over some documentation to someone which had to be scanned so I set the scanner up and scanned the documents and discovered that the driver disc also has a program called PhotoStudio which is yet another photo editing program. I also discovered the program's layout is similar to Paintshop Pro but it actually does a better job. Will play around with it some more.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Just so you blokes know, if you decide to blow these pics up, don't aim for any bigger than 80 dpi at 100% size. This will give you very little pixelation and will look very sharp on a 1400 x 1400 dpi large format printer. 100 dpi is better, but don't go lower that 80