Thread: Lake Awonga what to do???????

Lake Awonga what to do???????

Hi Guys Heading to lake awonga at easter looking for any infomation on how to catch these impoundment barra. normally we fish outside so the fresh water fishing is new to me. my mate has got me to come along to TRY and catch one of these insane creatures. we have calcutter 200s on live fibre 30lb impoundment rods, and 4000 stradics (old ones) on diawa tierra 7'' heavys with 30lb braid on calcutter and 20lb on stradic. Will these outfits do us or do we need to replace drags???? also with the lures should we replace the trebbles with the owners???? any advice would be highly appreciated. Cheers

Re: Lake Awonga what to do???????

Mate there is enough info on awoonga on this forum to fill a library. Just do a search. Your outfits sound adequate as for replacing drags not 100% neccessary but will make a big difference. Owner trebles are recommended, if i have to replace trebles i put owners on but lures that come standard with 6x vmc's i don't normaly worry about(anything weaker than this probably should be replaced though). check the split rings aswell, the cheap #4, #5 and #6 split rings from wilson are pretty good for the money but if you want to be sure then go for something like the decoy ones. As for lures techniques locations go through and have a bit of a search, theres no point me writing couple of pages of what has already said by other more knowledgable anglers. The only other thing will add is if your are going to troll make sure your boat can idle below 3km/h, anything faster can be to fast. If they are responding to a fast lure then you can always speed up but if you can't get slow enough then drag a parachute or a bucket with a hole in the bottom etc.
    Good luck
    Jeremy