Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Breeding Volunteers

Fish Breeding Volunteers

I've got the start of a long term project in mind, based on the north side of Brisbane, involving breeding fish stock. It is very early days and may yet be a dud.
    What I'm keen to know is, are there people out there who would volunteer time and get involved.

Unfortunately my skills lean more towards raising funds and negotiating with government bodies, as to breeding fish I know only a little. So for this to move foward it needs some people with a passion for this style of thing willing to give up some of their own time to help.

Either reply here or punch me a PM with your phone no. attached.

Cheers
    Shayne

Re: Fish Breeding Volunteers

What sort of fish and what sort of help are you thinking of Shayne?

Nothing exciting in the early stages, just Fire Tail Gudgeons and Rainbows. Help wise still not exactly sure but we would be responsible for breeding and maintaining facility. I have one guy interested with some experience in aquaculture.

Importantly it is a non commercial project and as there is a lot of work to be done yet I cant really put much more info up on this forum. As I said earlier it may not go ahead but if nobody is interested then it definitely wont move foward.

Shayne.... Of all the sick twisted things you've come up with in the past, you now want people to volunteer to mate with fish???

You need help

Ahh, but they will be very attractive fish with very loose morals, so even someone like you my friend could get lucky. I suggest you don't knock it just yet.

hey mate i would be interested, but i dont have a car and i still go to school, but i work with fish and no stuuf about em, more about natives, so i may be of some use?

rainbows are generally easy fish to breed you just need room and plants.

to breed the gudgeons succesfully you need a tank with a crate with small holes in it so the eggs can drop down to the bottom and the adults dont eat them. obviosly you dont have to have the crate, but its good to improve survival rates.

Cammo X
    Last edited by Cammy; 22-02-2008 at 09:40 PM.
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

I will drop you a PM, thanks for responding. Being still at school isn't an issue, this is purely about enthusiasm and committment. You are the third person to show interest in getting involved I think if we get another two or so we should right to move foward and see if it is all achievable.

As to space it looks like I can get us up to six 10000 litre holding tanks would that do you?

thats great!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

id be intrested in helping out i also dont live to far from cammy and am intrested in helping out.
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan View Post
    Shayne.... Of all the sick twisted things you've come up with in the past, you now want people to volunteer to mate with fish???

You need help
    The one U knock back is the one you'll never have
    Last edited by Didley; 25-02-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Guys can you pm me your email address so I can send some more info to you?

Shane,
    Thought I might catch up with you on here. We breed heaps of firetails and rainbows here. Give me a call sometime- preferably not this week! We are flat out here or drop me a email at work.

Cheers,
    Matt
    SEQ Fish.

Hey Mate,
    Catch up with you later on.
    Cheers,
    Shayne

The approvals are in place at last and we are getting ready to kick off. Thanks to all for the interest. This could turn into something really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post

to breed the gudgeons succesfully you need a tank with a crate with small holes in it so the eggs can drop down to the bottom and the adults dont eat them. obviosly you dont have to have the crate, but its good to improve survival rates.

Cammo X
    not with purple spotted gudgens, they lay there eggs on the underside (upside down) of a rock or tree and they lay upside down and fan the eggs with there pecks and protect the nest with there life, verry teratorial fish. i use to breed these fish all the time in darwin. i think there cool
    figjam :wink: