Thread: Leader v's plain mono

Leader v's plain mono

OK. So I am relatively new to S/P fishing but have fished lures in the past in the surf and rivers. I have, when fishing for larger fish with h/b's in the past used plain old mono for leader line. Usually just whatever I had on my surf reels as that's always been 15lb or over.
    These days there is more and more talk of the use of leaders and the proliferation of special leader for light line fishing has really taken hold. Years ago, special leader was only used for game fishing.
    Currently, I don't have any reels loaded with braid because I couldn't justify the cost as I don't get out too often to wet a line and it would just sit there and rot away between uses.
    DO I really need to go and spend money on leader flouro' or can I get away with still using just heavier mono? Is the leader stronger but lighter or something?

Re: Leader v's plain mono

G'Day Frog

For years most of us used just heavier mono as our leader material ( with success)
    Then as you mentioned leader material like Jinkai arrived ..... & many of us embraced it for our game fishing ( tough) .... more abrasion resistantance......& less memory!

These days Fluorocarbon is a popular choice ( specially in the lighter line classes)
    Personally I've found that FCs offer some distinct advantages over mono ( sinks ...big advantage for SPs!, very tough outer coating , low memory .... lays out very well during a cast , low stretch & Is apparently less visible in clear conditions!
    The major downside is cost ( typically $20 / 50M) ..... & more for quality FC)

So that's how I see it .......
    I use it for all light leader (<20lb) applications! , with the exception of salt water lure casting for barra ( 40lb FC) ..... & topwater bass & bream ( mono)

Nagg

Re: Leader v's plain mono

I guess it comes down to anything that may give you an "edge" is worthwhile, but a lot of Fish where caught long before any super invisible, ultra flexible or anything else was ever invented, but as mentioned, if it helps, then why not use it? I must admit that I now use plain old Mono for leaders and stuff.