Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

$1000 stella versus an old alvey

ok both have same line hooks bait on a reef one guy has a $1000 stella other bloke has a old alvey worth $20 will there be any catch difference
    Last edited by wayneoro; 18-02-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    ok both have same line hooks bait on a reef one guy has a $1000 stella other bloke has a old alvey worth $20 will there be any catch difference

pull up say 7-8 35lb reds in one run, that will sought them out

Daz

Suppose it would come down to the skill on the Alvey operator in that situation. You would spew if you had the alvey and the skipper said. "OK NOW IT'S TIME FOR SOME JIGGING". Or even spinning into some mackeral. But for bottom bouncing alveys do a job. Many still use them so they can't be that bad. I for one only use alvey for beach fishing and on my blackfish rod.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hahaha I laughed at this for a solid five minutes, then i thought you can't be that left behind and so technophobic because you are on a computer. Lets look at the difference, the true "old alvey" basically makes you look like you have been jerking off non stop for three months. It has no drag therefore your hands look like an albino on a beach holiday, red and covered in blisters. Secondly it has a 1:1 ratio so after fishing on your 80m reef for a day you will have forearms the size of your chest. Combining this you are going to lose more fish as you have a much less reliable less efficient and less capable drag. You will lose more fish due to sharkings and spat hooks due to the fact theres no humanly possible way you can wind in line as fast as the stella. Finally you loose time so therefore you lose fish. This doesn't even start to go into the capabilities of different fishing styles used these days. I think you picked the wrong battle. Maybe there won't be that much of a difference in your cheaper and the stella for spinning metals or bottom bashing but comparing an alvey theres just comparison.

It must have been an old 2nd hand Alvey at $20
    Last edited by GPB; 18-02-2008 at 10:12 PM.

So whats the point here You may have well said a Alvey vs Handline Nagg

I would have rather seen the title.. a alvey 650BC versus stella..

Cause the alvey 650BC has the lever drag.the alvey will only cost $130 and can have any stopping power by slowing down the reel during a strong run or putting on the brakes with 50LB line and have around 600m of mono..
    you can cast it, fish deep and you can have seven of em for the price of a stella.
    i think a 650BC retrieves about a half a meter per one rotation.

with the average wage earner bringing home around $600 PW and a mortgage kids etc,most people would love to have a stella or saltiga but can’t afford one..
    i’d like a chysler C300 but can only afford a 96 commodore.

The people that get these $1000 stella’s are the hard core fisherman who only think about fishing and want to have the best for the best fighting chance of capturing that fish..
    But then it makes me think,what did people use before the saltiga's and stalla's came out !!!!
    Last edited by spears; 19-02-2008 at 12:53 AM.

ok all my 3 alvey reels have drag two i paid $20 for at shalom markets bundy the other is a alvey reef master [$300 2nd h] i have been bidding on 10,000 and 20,000 stellas no luck yet so wondered what the do i need it

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    But then it makes me think,what did people use before the saltiga's and stalla's came out !!!!
    Smaller fish

OK then (especially "budge who is not a technophobe) can anyone tell me how the same bait presented the same way by the same guy on the same line on an Alvey or a Stella will look any different to a fish??? so in answer to your question is a very resounding NO it cannot make one iota of difference, BUt the Angler experience may be enhanced by using a $1,000 reel over an Alvey, and it may be less tireing (maybe) but will either hook more or bigger fish?? never in a million years! and handline will attract the same fish if all things are equal.

wooops I forgot one extra thing for Budge, how much line do you think an 8" Alvey would retreive in one revolution compared to any spinning reel with a spool diametre of about 2", by the way I am not a Technophobe in any way!

its simple you can feed a dog using an alvey reel but with the stella thats impossible . plus the stellas look better and you don't want to hurt there feelings .

regards,
    keechie

For me ..... once the hookup does comes ......... I'd want that fish attached to a Stella / Saltiga ....... Not an alvey
    I like to fight the fish & not the gear!

Nagg

All depends which one I am holding. If I had the stella, and a half-trained monkey had the alvey, the stella wouldn't even get a look-in.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    ok all my 3 alvey reels have drag two i paid $20 for at shalom markets bundy the other is a alvey reef master [$300 2nd h] i have been bidding on 10,000 and 20,000 stellas no luck yet so wondered what the do i need it
    Do you need it .... Probably not! .......

Do you want it .... Probably YES ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!

Nagg

Life's too short to bugger around with an Alvey