Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    catching 7-8 big reds in a run
    lol how long since any one caught any of these fish

4 weeks ago

gee guys i am not going to be able to sleep tonite worring about catching 7-8 big reds in a run

after pulling up these with them other reels i would'nt be able to sleep also

read the thread before making dumb post reef reef reef fishin
    Mate if ya wanna make a dumb post comparing apples and oranges ya get dumb replies

p.s. I read the whole thread, I had a good laugh too - Thanks

p.p.s If you're sense of humour is turned off and you only want serious replies heres one for you:

If you're purely in to winching meat over the side, yes an Alvey winch is probably the best way to go. If like most of us you go fishing mainly to have fun and aren't a pro or someone who like to keep the freezer chockas then some more refined gear can make the day out much more enjoyable.

I started out fishing with Alveys and handlines about 38 years ago and I still use a few of my larger alveys when I go over to fraser beach fishing but other than that I use o/heads for bottom bashing as I feel they are far more suitable for 99% of bottom bashing (unfortunately I don't get to fish for big reds etc very often) although find my o\heads more than up to the job of bottom bashing in general

So to answer your question I feel neither of those reels is the best for bottom bashing...

There ya go

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Mate if ya wanna make a dumb post comparing apples and oranges ya get dumb replies

p.s. I read the whole thread, I had a good laugh too - Thanks

p.p.s If you're sense of humour is turned off and you only want serious replies heres one for you:

If you're purely in to winching meat over the side, yes an Alvey winch is probably the best way to go. If like most of us you go fishing mainly to have fun and aren't a pro or someone who like to keep the freezer chockas then some more refined gear can make the day out much more enjoyable.

I started out fishing with Alveys and handlines about 38 years ago and I still use a few of my larger alveys when I go over to fraser beach fishing but other than that I use o/heads for bottom bashing as I feel they are far more suitable for 99% of bottom bashing (unfortunately I don't get to fish for big reds etc very often) although find my o\heads more than up to the job of bottom bashing in general

So to answer your question I feel neither of those reels is the best for bottom bashing...

There ya go

I gotta say ....... The post was a bit like that ..... One of those rainy day posts

Nagg

em getting touchy i think alvey has won this thread hands down lol
    LOL we would need a "who won the stella V alvey" poll to know for sure

cheers fnq

It's a crackup

seriously though. stella and alvey are 2 completly different reels.
    its hard to campair the 2 but a stella is suited to more things. plastics,jigging,game fish and its still fine for bait fishing.
    i dont own a stella but ive fished with them. if your a rock or beach fisho an alvey is fine but for anything including lures or massive game fish stella.

or as marlin brando said, in "a streetcar named desire", STELLA!!

Sorry fellers, well it is friday arvo, I`ll put down the glass now.

rEGGY

Thumbs up Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Gee owning a stella or two like some people have,you guys must have your own corporation or company with big bucks.$1000 for a fishing reel,i can buy a whole car for that..

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Gee owning a stella or two like some people have,you guys must have your own corporation or company with big bucks.$1000 for a fishing reel,i can buy a whole car for that..
    G`day Spears

The most I have ever paid for a reel is $430.00. It was for a Calcutta700, the first model, and I have been very dissapointed with it .The next most expensive was a TLD 15,which was $349.00, also a dissapointing reel.
    But I have forgiven Shimano, and since then bought aTorium20 and a Tekota 500
    which have proven to be good reels.
    I got my 2 Avets on sale at $300.00 each, by far my favourite reels and a bargain.

Reggy

I don't think I've seen a single person on this post who's said they own a Stella?
    Although I do have a few nice Diawa reels! And I love each of them They are all excellent for the task I need them to do. I haven't always had flash tackle, although having worked hard to get what I have over more than 40 years I love and appreciate each and every one of them.

At the end of the day spears we are all lucky that we get to enjoy fishing, it's taken a lot of hard work and more than a few tears for me to get to the stage that I have a few bits of nice kit - Nothing has ever been handed to me on a platter, why begrudge people what they have worked hard for?

Yeah alveys are good for the beach and handlines are good for hauling meat onboard. How fun. I would like to know if any of these alvey enthusiasts have ever used a decent reel while out in the boat or are they working on the ignorance is bliss mentality. I cant imagine that after spending some time with a high end reel that anyone could think anything about an alvey is OK. By the way, you dont have to be a tycoon to buy a good reel, you just have to want it enough to save and stop wasting money on smokes and what ever else. (Sorry to those who are genuine and not just tight)

Go the almighty alvey (Sorry,i've only used a stella once and the alvey 50 or more times)
    Regards
    Dylan

As TonyM writes:
    I don't think I've seen a single person on this post who's said they own a Stella?

Well then who's got a $1000 stella.Speak up

How about some people go out and buy a Gloomis rod $400 and get $150 worth of line onto a $600 stella and cast plastics to catch a 30cm bream.would of spent $1150..Do you really need all this elite stuff to catch a 30 cm bream.
    Last edited by spears; 22-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

As TonyM writes:

Well then who's got a $1000 stella.Speak up

How about some people go out and buy a Gloomis rod $400 and get $150 worth of line onto a $600 stella and cast plastics to catch a 30cm bream.would of spent $1150..Do you really need all this elite stuff to catch a 30 cm bream.
    no Stellas, but have 4 Saltigas