Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Its all horses for courses I reckon. I have a collection of overheads, spinning reels and Alveys. When I troll outside I use the reel that suits - not the Alvey. When I flick plastics the same thing.

Buit as an interesting aside. I grew up with Alveys. Never had drag models. I was always a bait fisher. Used them for 30 years. Then a tackle store convinced me to join the 20th century and sold me a spin reel. The more I used it the more I liked it. In particular it showed me that I had probably been too heavy handed for 30 years. Not that I lost a lot of fish - but when I did it was a good one. You never lose tiddlers. So I moved on to spinners and overheads for the past 15 years.

Then a funny thing happened. I went bream fishing with Pinhead and dragged out the old Alveys. What fun. Next time I bait fished I did the same. I now find myself using them almost exclusively when I bait fish. Why - because there is just such a blast having that direct contact with a good fish and using your skill to palm the reel and keep the fish under control.

So would a Stella catch more. Dunno - but I would hate to spend that money only to find myself reaching for the Alvey all the time - just for the sheer fun of it.

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

actualy it havs baught me quite a few alvies and other stuff.

cheers