Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

There are still blokes who fish for parrot and prefer to use a hand line...... they recon that if you need a drag... its too late.

top tak it one step further ..... never underestimate a black fella with a hand line..... those blokes don't have money to waste & they like to catch fish.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by lizard wizard View Post
    I dont give a S#@T what they spend their money on. They can wipe their A hole with their 1000 for all i care. To me alot of fish are won and lost because of the fishermens ability not how much his reel is worth.
    And a lot of debates are won and lost without the need to carry on like a 2 year old...

Mate if you're happy with a $30 reel good on you, if other people enjoy fishing enough to invest a bit more in it why should it bother you?

A 5 dollar e bay reel could handle that guppie. I hope you had your 1000 dollar drag syatem done up tight for that one. Your lucky you had it,you might of lost such a grand fish without that reel.
    Jamie ...... stop tryin to be a rick with a capitol P
    Obviously you have no idea about tackle ..... otherwise you wouldn't mention a $1000 price tag ( Guess again) ...... & I didn't even pay that !
    Regardless ..... That little reel will punch well above its weight division ! (4kg of drag) ..... get that out of your department store special
    sorry about the Guppy ..... it was the only close up I had of the reel .

You know what ...... you stick with your $50 reel .... & I'll enjoy some true quality!

Cheers

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Ive used the big stella's and ive also seen what a 925 alvey can handle. When it comes to bottom bouncing (not jigging) and big fish, dont think the alvey is out gunned by any means....
    I think this puts the arguement to bed Its the definitive answer IMHO

The Jap high tech gear is designed to appeal to Japanese fisherpersons who will in all probability never come across the sort of fish we regularly catch as a matter of course.
    The selling points are based on engineering and not functionality. The amount of bearings, the number of holes they can drill in the spool and even in the reel stem is of major importance to this market segment. The fact that an overhead reel has major mechanical advantages in both fundamental mechanics and drag efficiency is lost on them due to the marketing thrust.
    It is amazing that they can get a threadline to change the vectors of force so many times and still perform as well as an Alvey is a great feat of engineering
    Super heavy drags with zero stretch line are also a recipe for disaster on many fishing situations. Its horses for courses
    Use what you are comfortable with but don't let the marketing gurus take your money without thinking through the range of options available.

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I dont give a S#@T what they spend their money on. They can wipe their A hole with their 1000 for all i care. To me alot of fish are won and lost because of the fishermens ability not how much his reel is worth.
    I forgot to ask ...... Does an ANSA Sportfishing masters qualify me for having some ability ?

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I forgot to ask ...... Does an ANSA Sportfishing masters qualify me for having some ability ?

Nagg
    Did you do it on an Alvey?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I think this puts the arguement to bed Its the definitive answer IMHO

The Jap high tech gear is designed to appeal to Japanese fisherpersons who will in all probability never come across the sort of fish we regularly catch as a matter of course.
    The selling points are based on engineering and not functionality. The amount of bearings, the number of holes they can drill in the spool and even in the reel stem is of major importance to this market segment. The fact that an overhead reel has major mechanical advantages in both fundamental mechanics and drag efficiency is lost on them due to the marketing thrust.
    It is amazing that they can get a threadline to change the vectors of force so many times and still perform as well as an Alvey is a great feat of engineering
    Super heavy drags with zero stretch line are also a recipe for disaster on many fishing situations. Its horses for courses
    Use what you are comfortable with but don't let the marketing gurus take your money without thinking through the range of options available.

Cheers

Neil
    Is it marketing ..... or a blunt reality ......??? These days we have spin reels that can handle fish that you would not have attempted to catch 10 years ago..... ( by the way ... I have a preference for overheads)

Like a close mate ...... He couldn't accept that the little Subaru Liberty GT that I owned ....... would kick a Ford Falcons GTHOs butt ( welcome to technology Vs a dinosaur)
    Nagg

PS .... I'd love to own a GTHO for its investment value

Did you do it on an Alvey?
    Nah mate ..... just a collection of Shimano & ABU baitcasters ....... & one little Shimano spin reel ..... Oh & a steelite centrepin reel ( nearly an Alvey )

Nagg

Is it marketing ..... or a blunt reality ......??? These days we have spin reels that can handle fish that you would not have attempted to catch 10 years ago..... ( by the way ... I have a preference for overheads)

Like a close mate ...... He couldn't accept that the little Subaru Liberty GT that I owned ....... would kick a Ford Falcons GTHOs butt ( welcome to technology Vs a dinosaur)
    Nagg

PS .... I'd love to own a GTHO for its investment value
    Nice comparison Chris, I own'd a Phase 3 many years ago, gobs of grunt but handled like crap compared to the sports cars we have nowadays, and god help you if you had to stop in a hurry!

Whilst I loved that car I loved my mCoupe far more while I had it - was always a laugh when some hoon in a V8 sat next to me gunning it at the lights, I always used to let them hit the other side of the lights before I took off and shot past them (sorry mate but I woulda passed you too)

Th car comparison is not fair the early holdens and falcons was always an ineficient lumbering piece of iron...... thats why 4 cylinder cotrinas won 3 years in a row and mini won two years running at bathurst in that era.

But lets no digress onto cars

cheers

Is it marketing ..... or a blunt reality ......??? These days we have spin reels that can handle fish that you would not have attempted to catch 10 years ago.....
    Blunt reality I'm afraid Nagg
    What sort of fish would I have not attempted to catch I'll have a go at anything with the trusty gear I have

Bloody hell, even my old Penn 850 would knock, most fish over.

I think we have created a generation of fishos reluctant to rely on their own ability and developed skills rather than the abilities of Japanese engineers to do the job for them.

Each to their own but do not be so naive as to believe that less sophisticated gear will not do the job

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

. seems ive upset a few guys cause im receiving some nasty comments directed at me . I can take it unlike some. To answer the original question"no i dont think there would be any difference in the catch"so for me that makes the alvey a better buy cause you still have 980 in your pocket .

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Th car comparison is not fair the early holdens and falcons was always an ineficient lumbering piece of iron...... thats why 4 cylinder cotrinas won 3 years in a row and mini won two years running at bathurst in that era.

But lets no digress onto cars

cheers
    Go the mighty Cortina GT (I digress often - bad habit but fun)

Each to their own but do not be so naive as to believe that less sophisticated gear will not do the job
    I agree with that, although more sophisticated gear (that's appropriate for the job) can add an element of finesse that some of us find enjoyable - Like you said earlier "horses for courses" (exactly what I said somewhere way back at the start of this very entertaining thread)

think we have created a generation of fishos reluctant to rely on their own ability and developed skills rather than the abilities of Japanese engineers to do the job for them.
    What a load of pure unnadulterated bollocks! lmao
    Last edited by TonyM; 25-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Blunt reality I'm afraid Nagg
    What sort of fish would I have not attempted to catch I'll have a go at anything with the trusty gear I have

Bloody hell, even my old Penn 850 would knock, most fish over.

I think we have created a generation of fishos reluctant to rely on their own ability and developed skills rather than the abilities of Japanese engineers to do the job for them.

Cheers

Neil
    Sorry Neil .... I got distracted! ..... I meant to say attempted to catch on "SPIN GEAR!" ..... 10 years ago the spin gear not up to catching big reefies , dog tooth tuna , big GTs & Marlin etc etc ............ Today its a case of "No big deal"
    Mate my sister inlaw fishes with line wrapped around a 600ml coke bottle .... & still catches good flathead up at Hawkes nest! ....... me i need my Certate 1500 or Stella 2000
    Nagg

hehe that's funny, 10 years ago spin gear was not up to catching big reefies! maybe Kmart spin gear. don't know too many people who catch big GT's Marlin and Dogtooth everyday! (except in the pub after a few beers) most are out for a feed and/or some fun ,and, back to the very first question, will a Stella catch more fish than an Alvey?? the answer is still NO, and I don't own an Alvey!!!