Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 152
  1. #46

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    catching 7-8 big reds in a run
    lol how long since any one caught any of these fish

    4 weeks ago

  2. #47

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    gee guys i am not going to be able to sleep tonite worring about catching 7-8 big reds in a run

    after pulling up these with them other reels i would'nt be able to sleep also

  3. #48

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    read the thread before making dumb post reef reef reef fishin
    Mate if ya wanna make a dumb post comparing apples and oranges ya get dumb replies

    p.s. I read the whole thread, I had a good laugh too - Thanks

    p.p.s If you're sense of humour is turned off and you only want serious replies heres one for you:

    If you're purely in to winching meat over the side, yes an Alvey winch is probably the best way to go. If like most of us you go fishing mainly to have fun and aren't a pro or someone who like to keep the freezer chockas then some more refined gear can make the day out much more enjoyable.

    I started out fishing with Alveys and handlines about 38 years ago and I still use a few of my larger alveys when I go over to fraser beach fishing but other than that I use o/heads for bottom bashing as I feel they are far more suitable for 99% of bottom bashing (unfortunately I don't get to fish for big reds etc very often) although find my o\heads more than up to the job of bottom bashing in general

    So to answer your question I feel neither of those reels is the best for bottom bashing...

    There ya go

  4. #49

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Mate if ya wanna make a dumb post comparing apples and oranges ya get dumb replies

    p.s. I read the whole thread, I had a good laugh too - Thanks

    p.p.s If you're sense of humour is turned off and you only want serious replies heres one for you:

    If you're purely in to winching meat over the side, yes an Alvey winch is probably the best way to go. If like most of us you go fishing mainly to have fun and aren't a pro or someone who like to keep the freezer chockas then some more refined gear can make the day out much more enjoyable.

    I started out fishing with Alveys and handlines about 38 years ago and I still use a few of my larger alveys when I go over to fraser beach fishing but other than that I use o/heads for bottom bashing as I feel they are far more suitable for 99% of bottom bashing (unfortunately I don't get to fish for big reds etc very often) although find my o\heads more than up to the job of bottom bashing in general

    So to answer your question I feel neither of those reels is the best for bottom bashing...

    There ya go

    I gotta say ....... The post was a bit like that ..... One of those rainy day posts

    Nagg

  5. #50

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro View Post
    em getting touchy i think alvey has won this thread hands down lol
    LOL we would need a "who won the stella V alvey" poll to know for sure

    cheers fnq

    It's a crackup



  6. #51

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    seriously though. stella and alvey are 2 completly different reels.
    its hard to campair the 2 but a stella is suited to more things. plastics,jigging,game fish and its still fine for bait fishing.
    i dont own a stella but ive fished with them. if your a rock or beach fisho an alvey is fine but for anything including lures or massive game fish stella.

  7. #52

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    or as marlin brando said, in "a streetcar named desire", STELLA!!

    Sorry fellers, well it is friday arvo, I`ll put down the glass now.

    rEGGY

  8. #53

    Thumbs up Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    .

  9. #54

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Gee owning a stella or two like some people have,you guys must have your own corporation or company with big bucks.$1000 for a fishing reel,i can buy a whole car for that..

  10. #55

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Gee owning a stella or two like some people have,you guys must have your own corporation or company with big bucks.$1000 for a fishing reel,i can buy a whole car for that..
    G`day Spears

    The most I have ever paid for a reel is $430.00. It was for a Calcutta700, the first model, and I have been very dissapointed with it .The next most expensive was a TLD 15,which was $349.00, also a dissapointing reel.
    But I have forgiven Shimano, and since then bought aTorium20 and a Tekota 500
    which have proven to be good reels.
    I got my 2 Avets on sale at $300.00 each, by far my favourite reels and a bargain.

    Reggy

  11. #56

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Gee owning a stella or two like some people have,you guys must have your own corporation or company with big bucks.$1000 for a fishing reel,i can buy a whole car for that..
    I don't think I've seen a single person on this post who's said they own a Stella?
    Although I do have a few nice Diawa reels! And I love each of them They are all excellent for the task I need them to do. I haven't always had flash tackle, although having worked hard to get what I have over more than 40 years I love and appreciate each and every one of them.

    At the end of the day spears we are all lucky that we get to enjoy fishing, it's taken a lot of hard work and more than a few tears for me to get to the stage that I have a few bits of nice kit - Nothing has ever been handed to me on a platter, why begrudge people what they have worked hard for?

  12. #57

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Yeah alveys are good for the beach and handlines are good for hauling meat onboard. How fun. I would like to know if any of these alvey enthusiasts have ever used a decent reel while out in the boat or are they working on the ignorance is bliss mentality. I cant imagine that after spending some time with a high end reel that anyone could think anything about an alvey is OK. By the way, you dont have to be a tycoon to buy a good reel, you just have to want it enough to save and stop wasting money on smokes and what ever else. (Sorry to those who are genuine and not just tight)

  13. #58

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Go the almighty alvey (Sorry,i've only used a stella once and the alvey 50 or more times)
    Regards
    Dylan





  14. #59

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    As TonyM writes:
    I don't think I've seen a single person on this post who's said they own a Stella?




    Well then who's got a $1000 stella.Speak up

    How about some people go out and buy a Gloomis rod $400 and get $150 worth of line onto a $600 stella and cast plastics to catch a 30cm bream.would of spent $1150..Do you really need all this elite stuff to catch a 30 cm bream.
    Last edited by spears; 22-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

  15. #60

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    As TonyM writes:
    I don't think I've seen a single person on this post who's said they own a Stella?




    Well then who's got a $1000 stella.Speak up

    How about some people go out and buy a Gloomis rod $400 and get $150 worth of line onto a $600 stella and cast plastics to catch a 30cm bream.would of spent $1150..Do you really need all this elite stuff to catch a 30 cm bream.
    no Stellas, but have 4 Saltigas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us