Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 152
  1. #136

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    No Noelm, I get the point, and that the question was pointless. Swap '$20 Alvey' for 'anchor winch' and '$1000 Stella' to 'tie it on your old fella' and the answer would be the same .
    Last edited by GPB; 27-02-2008 at 10:42 AM.

  2. #137

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    What a merry go round.... this thread has turned into a bad episode of the jerry springer show. I think it is easy to see that it has all come down to the fact that some people can not grasp the conception of someone paying so much for a fishing reel. If you can't who cares, keep using what you would like to use and thats about the whole story told. Don't imply that someone is an imbecile because that choose to spend their money in a certain way. As for the array of statements that the new technology that has gone into threadline reels (or any other gear) such as increase ball bearings, composite materials or general construction of a reel based upon our increased knowledge of physics is worthless and solely a money grab, this just proves your lack of reality to be able to grasp the innovation and technology of the year 2008. Perhaps some people who have been lucky enough, or may i put it have worked hard enough to be able to own such gear, should take some of these other guys out on an introduction to technology trip and see what they say after they actually used some of this gear. I know I wouldn't turn down the chance to get out and use some quality gear and learn a thing or two but thats only my mentality of life I can see its not shared by all.

  3. #138

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    no one is really calling anyone bad names, it is all in the name of debate and good humor (most times) I seriously doubt that given the choice you would choose a $15 reel over a $1000 reel, there is more serious things in life to really worry about than all this rubbish, but it is fun, has some benefit to some people, and above all is what makes us all different, and I have used, owned and loved/hated a lot of very expensive reels over the years (and still do) including a Stella, but because I owned one does not mean I think it is the only thing in the Universe, Technology is part of my every day life as I am in the Industry, but will still never fail to express my opinion and most things, regardless of how lame it may seem!

  4. #139

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    What a merry go round.... this thread has turned into a bad episode of the jerry springer show. I think it is easy to see that it has all come down to the fact that some people can not grasp the conception of someone paying so much for a fishing reel. If you can't who cares, keep using what you would like to use and thats about the whole story told. Don't imply that someone is an imbecile because that choose to spend their money in a certain way. As for the array of statements that the new technology that has gone into threadline reels (or any other gear) such as increase ball bearings, composite materials or general construction of a reel based upon our increased knowledge of physics is worthless and solely a money grab, this just proves your lack of reality to be able to grasp the innovation and technology of the year 2008. Perhaps some people who have been lucky enough, or may i put it have worked hard enough to be able to own such gear, should take some of these other guys out on an introduction to technology trip and see what they say after they actually used some of this gear. I know I wouldn't turn down the chance to get out and use some quality gear and learn a thing or two but thats only my mentality of life I can see its not shared by all.
    Couldn't have put it any better,sums up my thoughts exactly.

  5. #140

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    'tie it on your old fella' and the answer would be the same .
    Hmm must try that,sounds exciting..



    Hey lets go to "how long is a piece of string " i know its 600mm do you agree.LOL
    Last edited by spears; 27-02-2008 at 03:03 PM.

  6. #141

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Now there are a whole list of lines that come to mind... light, medium or heavy action.

    Shall we just take them as being done & chuckle quielt to our selves

    cheers

  7. #142

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    no one is really calling anyone bad names, it is all in the name of debate and good humor (most times) I seriously doubt that given the choice you would choose a $15 reel over a $1000 reel, there is more serious things in life to really worry about than all this rubbish, but it is fun, has some benefit to some people, and above all is what makes us all different, and I have used, owned and loved/hated a lot of very expensive reels over the years (and still do) including a Stella, but because I owned one does not mean I think it is the only thing in the Universe, Technology is part of my every day life as I am in the Industry, but will still never fail to express my opinion and most things, regardless of how lame it may seem!
    Very true & well said . I know my Stella is not my favorite reel! ...

    When it comes to choosing tackle , I will always buy the best I can afford ( & try to buy it at the best price) .... + it needs to be what I want to use

    Anyhow threads like this are a bit of fun!


    Nagg

  8. #143

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Fun who said anything about fun! Shun the non believer i say . But at the end of the day the alvey users will keep using their alveys and the technology guys will keep using their stella's etc and thats fine. I can't think of anything else i'd rather spend my money on, so i might aswell do it in style. We need to have a cast off at the next meet and greet i reakon. Theme music, mascots and what not just like a crappy american high school movie.

  9. #144

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    If you want to meet and greet I will be 35nm NE of Mooloolaba jigging with my Stella family, theme music is Led Zep and Gunners, a bit of 'Heavy Metal '

  10. #145

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Technology Changes, $50 might get you an old typewriter, tap out a leter with your thoughts and send it by mail to us all. Or you could get a $1000 computer and converse by email, send a picture do your banking etc.

    They both work.

  11. #146

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Yeh but when the power goes off the old oliveti still works and there is no blue screen of death to contend with..... AND you havn't sold your soul to bill gates.

    cheers

  12. #147

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    Yeh but when the power goes off the old oliveti still works and there is no blue screen of death to contend with..... AND you havn't sold your soul to bill gates.

    cheers
    How true!

    By the way, what speed internet connection have you got on the typewriter?

  13. #148

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    oldboot
    But wasnt it easy and practical to respond on your $1000 computer in this situation?

    shane

  14. #149

    Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    Hell it didnt cost $1000 it was made from second hand upgrade leftovers from a superggek frend of mine
    OK if I include the flatscreen monitors it was more than that. .

    cheers

  15. #150

    Thumbs up Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

    He bought it with change left over from buying an Alvey:cheesy:
    Last edited by GPB; 28-02-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us