Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewie lures

Jewie lures

Greetings all!

I've finally put together a few jewie lures and would appreciate comments as to their size and colour schemes.

The lures range from 35g to 55g. The Halco style ones are flattish in profile while the others are rounded. Can throw the larger ones 60m + on 20lb mono.

All are made of pine or cedar (the latter with lead implants) and finished with spray varnish and enamel paints. Some have already taken a bit of a bounce off the local rocks.

The one piece epoxied internal wires are 130 lb galvanised but I am going to change to stainless mig wire for the next batch. Trebles are VMC 2/0 and 3/0.

Lures swim to 4 ft with either a tight mullet like swimming action or a rolling wobble.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

Re: Jewie lures

Hmmmm....

Will try to attach pics again.

Rob.

Bugger! Are the files too big? Will try again tomorrow.

Sounds good mate.... the best way to see how they work is to toss them out and see what hits them, or if you want someone to test for you you could always send some up to me and I'll give them a run at spot X for you

as Aussiefool said,throw them out and see what hits them
    Regards
    Dylan

Your pictures may be too big, get below 100kbyte. Use this website to downlaod a jpeg reduction program
    http://jpegez.brack.net.au/

Nick

Throw em out see what you get you never know you could get something you never expected
    Cheers Nick

mate if ya hook a serious jew off the stones on 20lb line ya gonna probably have a little bit of trouble especially when the fish gets close to the rocks and decides hes going deep

Gday all!

Hmmm... 1.2 megs is the smallest I can get my piccies. Will try the suggested programme when I get home tonight.

As to the line.... I'm a beginner and am going on what others have told me. The only successful jewie fisherman that I've had the opportunity to watch and talk to first hand uses 20 lb as his heaviest line when fishing at Flat Rock, Ballina. The places I'm fishing are similar, without too much depth of water. He had an 8 kg fish on 12 lb line with 50 lb leader last time I saw him and although he admitted to being spooled a few times he said he generally lets them run and tire themselves out. He is quite well known locally and catches fish. (Previous IGFA record holder for jewies?)

I'm more than happy to take suggestions or advice on board and would and have fished heavier off the North Wall.

I've got a Baitrunner 6500b with 20lb and a Daiwa Opus Bull 6000 with two spools of 30lb and 40lb. Comments?

I've only had a few trips due to the river closure but will be fishing with my 8 wrap, 12 ft MT spin rod (See the rod building section) when its ready and the opportunity arises.

All advice or tuition greatly appreciated.
    Rob.
    Ballina

Mate as you may know I mainly fish fore jews off the rocks at Hastings point. 20lb mono is the heaviest that I go to. I now have gone down to 15 lb braid with a bout 1mt mono leader of 20lb. I use a spinning reel with the drag set to let the fish run if it wants to but it has to work for it. they soon tire and give up.I have never fished the nth wall at Ballina
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew!

The guy I was talking to, who was very modest about his fishing skills told me that he had caught a 23kg jew on 4 kg line some years before. I'm sure that luck played some part in this but he seemed to know what he was talking about. He gave me this information as I expressed surprise that he had caught the 8 kg jew that he was holding at the time on 12 lb line.

I'm sure that there are many places where you cannot let a jew run and run. there are one or two that I've been trying where there are rocky reefs running out with a channel in between. I'm sure any fish hooked there would need wuite a lot of bullying and 20 lb would not be enough.

No disrespect or doubts about others fishing ability or the techniques that they use.

Rob.
    Ballina

Hope the piccies appear here!

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg212/tracyandrob/

Regards, Rob.

Just looked at the photos and they look good. If I may add try making some that will dive to a bit deeper as some times the jews will just lie in wait and you have to pull the lure right past it's nose
    Aussiefool
    Andrew

G'Day Rob,

Lures look good they should catch fish no worries. When at flat rock 20-25lb is plenty I've landed a couple to 14kg there with no problems. Although that was on the Northern side. Southern side is a little different. For the bigger beasts, if your lucky enough to miss the bommie directly out from where you fish, let them run, then make you way around onto the beach and land them up on the sand.
    As for the southern side, your at the hands of the rock gods with a good fish.

North wall can be a nightmare, if your fishing the gutter half way out on the surf side you will get away with 25lb but out on the point I fish 30-50lb and have a mate who goes as high as 70lb.

As for lure depth, at flat rock you dont really want the lures diving more than a meter or so.

I'll see if I can dig out some pics of the lures my mate makes.

Goodluck Mark

http://www.irfanview.com/

Good luck mate.

This program is what I use for re-sizing images. Always works, send a PM if you need help

Once you open a pic in their, go to the 'image' tab, select re-size/resample and in the box that opens, go to the right and there is a list of sizes there, select 640 x 480. then save and you are off!!! Good luck