Re: is Shimarno worth the extra

I WAS a big daiwa fan, not anymore...

Spinning - pflueger
    Baitcaster - pflueger
    Overhead - Shimano
    Alvey - Err, Alvey.

Quote Originally Posted by plastic_paul View Post
    i think theyre around $250-280 up here??? (from a hazy memory). Also i hear pretty big whispers of a new 2500 baitrunner from shimano.

im a daiwa fan but i agree that shimano has the tiagra niche pretty covered, or at least from a marketing point of view ( ive never used one)
    i dont rate the new stradics very high and seen some shonky lower end reels from both parties, i'll be getting my hands on a 3000 luvias soon so i'll do a comparison with a mates twin power and see which one will die first!
    2500 BTR is in stock and ready to roll. When it comes to game reels, the Tiagras definitely have the market cornered, Spinning reels are the realm of Daiwa, Small baitcasters - Daiwa, Barra size baitcasters - Shimano, each manufacturer has its ebbs and flows with regard to technology. Which they usually only upgrade when the other has the upper hand. Example: Saltigas, they haven't had a major change for 6 years, why?, because nothing has surpassed their quality.
    With regard to operators such as Nomad and other charters running all shimano gear, that is purely due to the fact that shimano will do deals, whereas Daiwa won't.

wow thats a pretty cool story, i'd stick to shimano too if that was me, i haven't got any daiwas in a scrap box yet, although i have a calcutta thats giving me the shits....
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

My dad has an old Daiwa regal that has spent a fair bit of time under the water and is still perfect. So it's not just Shimano who once made reels that were robust. Like all companies these days, they want the product to last long enough to "seem" like you have gotten good use from it, but then die so you have to buy another one.

Another reason why some charter guys use Shimano, is because they have better parts availability in Australia than most others. Or so I am told.

My Pflueger medalist 6040 spinning reel spent a week in a small kayak getting absolutely soaked in salt water all week with barely a wash asides from some rain that we had here and there. That was 3 months ago, she gets used a couple of times each week, hasn't had a service since it was bought new in Janurary and still doesn't have a problem.

I don't treat all my reels this poorly mind you!

What the? Supposedly new posts but I don't see them.

well I see that the Shimano advertising money is well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    What the? Supposedly new posts but I don't see them.
    I believe it comes up as a post when somebody votes

And the answer is 'YES '

I like my PENN gear.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I have a mix of shimano & pflueger.

My supreme XT is an awesome reel, but my stardic, saros, symetre, curado are all rippers as well!
    Thats another one for the Punisher!