• yes

84 70.00%
  • no

36 30.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is Shimarno worth the extra

Re: is Shimarno worth the extra

Hey there,
    Shimanos are good but these days if I had a bit of cash to splash on some new gear, shimano would come second choice to daiwa. Daiwa seems to have the edge these days in quality & price tag.
    Cheers, Colo..

If shimano could put all there dollars in to R&D they would have the world for there reels.When you buy a fishing mag you will notice shimano have full page adds which are not cheap and how many mags are out there multiply adds= big dollars..This is incorporated into the cost of the reel which raises the price..I think that's why diawa have the goods cause they've done there homework..

Quote Originally Posted by Colo77 View Post
    Hey there,
    Shimanos are good but these days if I had a bit of cash to splash on some new gear, shimano would come second choice to daiwa. Daiwa seems to have the edge these days in quality & price tag.
    Cheers, Colo..
    I'm a big Daiwa fan ..... but I dont think that they have it all to their own ( regarding reels)
    Without a doubt the Daiwa Spin reels win hands down .... Range , Quality & tuning options! ( High end ... Steez , Morthan Branzino, Exist & the various Certates ..... & now the Luvias ..... What can you say )
    Baitcasters ....... Neck & neck with good things coming from both camps ( High end Daiwas like the Steez & Ito modified reels + other ultralights like the Presso ( JDM) & Alphas give them the edge
    Larger Overheads ..... Its Shimano all the way ( no contest)
    Jig Reels .... Neck & Neck ( but Shimanos range wins out)

So thats how I see the battle of the reels ( the big 2) ...... But never ignore some of the more obscure high end reels ( Avets , Accurates , Van Staal , Fin-nor ... ) ...... Penn seem to have fallen way behind IMO
    Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 26-02-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Talking to a tackle importer the other day he explained who owns who in this fishing industry.

He went on explaining this to me for about 3 mins straight and i can't remember much cause so many popular brand names were mentioned.

But within a year as a lot of things are taking place now most of the reel brand names out there will be owned by 4 big players world wide and we know there is a big list of manufacturers / band names.

So when you buy a particular reel the money gets channeled through to one off them..

Question Re: is Shimano worth the extra

Nagg, your answer to the Penn situation is in the next post by spears, Penn along with Pflueger are owned by Shakespeare who these days mostly caters for the cheap off the shelf reels, made in bulk in China :sad: .
    I was once a proud owner of some Penn and had some top Shakespeare reels in the Sigma Omni and Whisker Titan series, I won't say 'in the good old day's', give me my Shimano's any day .

PS: The 1980's were also my 'Alvey' days, not again.
    Last edited by GPB; 26-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Re: is Shimano worth the extra

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Nagg, your answer to the Penn situation is in the next post by spears, Penn along with Pflueger are owned by Shakespeare who these days mostly caters for the cheap off the shelf reels, made in bulk in China :sad: .
    I was once a proud owner of some Penn and had some top Shakespeare reels in the Sigma Omni and Whisker Titan series, I won't say 'in the good old day's', give me my Shimano's any day .

PS: The 1980's were also my 'Alvey' days, not again.

Yeh GPB .... but you got over it

The demise of Penn ( specially the Internationals) could be seen coming during the mid 80s when Shimano released the Tritons & Daiwa dabbled with the Sealine tournament ....... Though it took another 10years or so .... Till the Tiagra came out ........... GAME SET & MATCH!
    I occasionally fish with a young guy who owns Internationals in preference to Tiagras ...... & I reckon they fall well short!!!! ( I had a few Internationals during the 80s too ...... but adored the fin-nors & would save for months to get one )

Nagg

Ive got several baitrunners and several TLD's and am happy with them all. There are other brands out there with similar and comparable reels that are worth a look as well. As for pricing.......value for money is a personal thing i guess and it depends on your ambitions to have this or that. If you are happy to part with the bucks and buy decent gear you will never be dis-satisfied.

Only Diawas I own now are two 6hm millionaires and they will be replaced with another brand next time i feel. Enough said.

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm a big Daiwa fan ..... but I dont think that they have it all to their own ( regarding reels)
    Without a doubt the Daiwa Spin reels win hands down .... Range , Quality & tuning options! ( High end ... Steez , Morthan Branzino, Exist & the various Certates ..... & now the Luvias ..... What can you say )
    Baitcasters ....... Neck & neck with good things coming from both camps ( High end Daiwas like the Steez & Ito modified reels + other ultralights like the Presso ( JDM) & Alphas give them the edge
    Larger Overheads ..... Its Shimano all the way ( no contest)
    Jig Reels .... Neck & Neck ( but Shimanos range wins out)

So thats how I see the battle of the reels ( the big 2) ...... But never ignore some of the more obscure high end reels ( Avets , Accurates , Van Staal , Fin-nor ... ) ...... Penn seem to have fallen way behind IMO
    Nagg
    I will agree with that, but just on bait casters, Daiwa seem not to want to make any of their better bait casters for saltwater use and i would have thought the Shimano Antares dc7 was simply the best bait caster going round.

Anyways thats my 2 cents

Cheers Chris

Thumbs up Re: is Shimarno worth the extra

One for you Chris, from Tackle Tour US,
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewantaresdc7.html

Total Score: 9.00 + Ultimate Enthusiast Award!

Introduction: Over a year ago we completed our in depth review of the premium positioned Shimano Calais 4xD DC. As we draw to a conclusion this 2008 season we have some fun as we take a second look at the Japanese version of this "wicked" reel. Few reels can make Cal break into poetry verse, but the Antares DC7 did exactly that...

What evil lurks out yonder link?
    It beckons me without chance to think.
    She whirs and gleams, at once, she is bright,
    Promising what once was distant, will now pose no plight.
    Alas she is real, that which we've longed.
    Something sleek, fast, avant-garde, and of course,
    electronic and strong.

We bring to you now, a story of leaven,
    offered by Shimano, announcing the Antares DC7.

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    I will agree with that, but just on bait casters, Daiwa seem not to want to make any of their better bait casters for saltwater use and i would have thought the Shimano Antares dc7 was simply the best bait caster going round.

Anyways thats my 2 cents

Cheers Chris
    Chris .... I cant really argue with you ( hence my comment "good things from both camps") The Antares / Calais DC .... & Calcutta DCs are very nice reels ...... but its really only the electronic cast control that gives them the edge over a Zillion , Salt water millionaire & Bluebacker (IMHO) ...... but $950 for a Calais DC ( I'll take 2 Zillions ..... thank you .... & I did) But hey .... I'd be just as happy with Shimanos as I would with Daiwa
    Very true what you said about Daiwa high ends being fresh water only ( I'd love to have a crack at Wild barra on my Steez ........ I plan to have a go with it a Monduran )

Cheers

Nagg

Montague
    Go Tiagra, check out Doug Burts Tackleworld on the Gold Coast has some of the best prices on game reels in Australia.
    Penn, Shakesheare, Pflueger, Abu, Stearns, Berkley, now all one company.

Cheers Foxie

Personlay I'm fond of okuma, you seem to get better value for your $$$.

That said shimano can get very agressive with some of its deals offered thru its stockists from time to time.

Just as a matter of interest... I hear there are some screaming deals being offered on pen internationals by the big QLD chain, and the "place that shal not be mentioned" isn't being left out and is matching the deals.

cheers

Montague, maybe a little late now but for you and anyone else in the market for BTR6500. Adelaides Sportfishing Scene in Cavan is running them out at $149.00 not sure how this compares to you blokes in the East, but sure is a bloody great price for us Croweaters. Dont think I've ever seen them at that price @ Mo's or Campbells

i think theyre around $250-280 up here??? (from a hazy memory). Also i hear pretty big whispers of a new 2500 baitrunner from shimano.

im a daiwa fan but i agree that shimano has the tiagra niche pretty covered, or at least from a marketing point of view ( ive never used one)
    i dont rate the new stradics very high and seen some shonky lower end reels from both parties, i'll be getting my hands on a 3000 luvias soon so i'll do a comparison with a mates twin power and see which one will die first!
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

I would go for shimano for the reason of my recent folly.
    3 weeks ago i dropped one of my rods and reels (shimano Symetre 2000 about 15-20 years old) overboard and the following weekend i fished it back up with a small grappling hook. Upon returning home i stripped the reel completely down to its base parts. checked every part for signs of corrosion and excessive wear which i found none of, and washed all parts in thinners and alcohol before leaving to dry for 24 hours. Reassembled the following night with new grease and oils and replaced the line to the spool. This reel has done a very large amount of work well in excess of its design factor and line weight factor and still operates like new. Not one bearing has corrosion after 8 full days on the bottom in 8 metres of sea water. Not one part of the alloy mechanisms is corroded and not one bushing has any signs of failure evident.

Shimano, at least back when this reel was made, are outstanding pieces of machinery and materials. I doubt any Diawa reel that i have owned or used would fair anywhere near as well. As a matter of fact I have several Daiwas in my scrap box of reels that have not lasted the distance.
    Jack.