Thread: "Ticking" noise on decceleration

"Ticking" noise on decceleration

Hi all,

My 60 series Cruiser has developed a rather odd noise in the last couple of days. Everything drives normal, but when you get up a little faster (It becomes audible from about 30km and above), if you back off the accelerator, you get a "ticking" noise coming through the gearbox. It's not noticeable under power, only when accelerating. Also if you put it into neutral, the sound is almost undetectable.

I've drained & refilled the gearbox & transmission oil, plus greased up the driveshaft as much as I can. Problem is still there (although just slightly quieter). I also did the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filers, air filter while I was at it...

The fact that it drops out in neutral makes me think it is not on the "engine side" of the gearbox. If it was, it would get faster as you accelerate in neutral, but this doesn't happen. The sound is in time with the wheels spinning, and as the car slows, so does the sound.

The fact it just started one day out of the blue has me confused. If it had been getting louder as it went, I could understand, but it just started.

Has anyone heard of something like this before? Any ideas anyone?

Re: "Ticking" noise on decceleration

Probably the sender unit for the speedo, I had to replace mine about a yr ago.

Get ready for a big ouch $432 for the sender unit.

Hope I'm wrong, but mine started with a click like that then the speedo stopped after a month or so of clicking.

Non serviceable items to unfortunately.

Jack.

Actually that's not the first time someone has mentioned the speedo about this. My old man asked me about it yesterday.

And every now & then, I have to tap the speedo on the dash to get the needle working again. Only happens occasionally, and only when I first start the car...

I can handle $432.... It's the $2K+ for gearbox work I was alot more scared of...

I have been googling today, and there's mention of diffs & ubolts as well. I jumped under car again to see if any of the ubolts were loose, but all were ok. I did however find there is a "flex" in the front driveshaft that "clunks" a bit when you shake it... Could that possibly be it? But from what I understand, it shouldn't be spinning unless 4wd is engaged...

Might have to bite the bullet and get someone professional to look at it...

You've probably got a rock stuck in the tyre tread mate..hahaha....tick tick tick tick

I'll send you an email from work tomorrow m8
    Last edited by Taipan; 17-02-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Ha ha Nice one Corey.

I found this link while searching around... It mentions a few different things, but comes back to a uni joint.
    http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=9533

Will try greasing up the shafts more next week. Until then, I have to try and figure it out.

After testing everything we could, I bit the bullet and took the truck into the automotive place the airport uses. Put it up on the hoist, and he's 99% sure its the cluster bearings at the front of the gearbox (I think that's what he said).

Essentially if I want to keep the car (I do) and I want to know it will be good for years (I do) and if I want to take it offroad (I do), then he suggests doing a gearbox/transfer rebuild. 3 days works for him, and just under $2K for me... That will replace all bearings, gaskets & synchros in both gb & tran.

Now I just have to find the 2K Anyone want to buy some stuff???

Hey Dan, I know it's a cruiser and we are talking gearbox's (sorry couldn't help myself but consider ringing any one of big oil companys and ask for the section that does oil analysis, ask them at what level they can ascertain particulates and wear byproducts from your gearbox oil and how it may point toward a worn bearing.

Things like this just don't happen without leaving some trace, for a $50 bill and/or a visual exam on the oil solids that drain out, you may save some serious cash.
    Not saying the diagnosis was wrong, it's just nice to nail these things from another direction also, if you cannot find any extra evidence start replacing the things that spin, sound travels up drive trains in strange ways at times.

just a thought

cheers fnq

Thanks Scott. Unfortunately I replaced all the oils/grease/etc, so there's not really anything for them to test... I spent a few days with the mechanic at work going over everything we could beforehand, but in the end it was down to gearbox transmission or clutch.

The guy I took it to used to own a 60 series, so he knows them pretty well. He had a fair idea on what it was when I explained it to him over the phone, and the few tests he got me to do resulted the way he expected. On the hoist today, it was pretty definitive where the sound was coming from (I was under with him).

He was happy to just replace the front bearing if that's what I wanted, but I kinda like the idea of knowing it's going to be solid for a long time to come. Esepcially as I will be going offroad in it. A gearbox meltdown in the bush is a lot worse....

Can you undo the speedo from the drive train, and go for a spin without speed indication on the dash?
    Geez I'd hate to have a rebuild done and find out it wasnt necessary!

Just a thought!

Simmo - Hasn't stopped the noise Gave it a go tonight, but didn't make a difference (Other than me wondering how fast I was going)

When we had it up on the hoist, the sound was quite definitely coming from the front of the gearbox though... Oh well.... I guess I might have to cut down on beer for a while (Although 3 weeks of not drinking would almost pay for it!!! HA HA HA)
    Last edited by Fishin_Dan; 21-02-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Check the level of your oil in the main gearbox and the transfer case. the seal may be gone between the two and the transfer over fills and the main box is low on oil. Cheapest fix if this is occuring is to replace the two filler bungs with ones that have hole tapped in them and fit a hose connection with a hose linking the two so when overfills it returns into the other box. Grab the tail shaft closet transer case and see if it moves. If it does than the bearings may be gone. Bearing and gasket kit should only be $300 and you dont have to remove the box do in chasis. only takes about 2 hour when i did the tranfer case. shiming it takes the longest. Get a bottle of Bi tron gearbox treatment and stick it in until you can afford the repair. It does work and will reduce damage. Still get that oil sampling done though.

HondaGuy - It already has the link between transfer & gearbox for the oil. The tailshaft is solid & doesn't move.

Sorry to hear that mate. Looks like your giving up drinking for a few weeks then. Should get another 20 year out of the 60 after a rebuild then.

Noises in cars are a waste of time Dan.. Buy yourself a good stereo system and turn it up!!!

My diesel pajero has 305,000 K's and has lots of rattles and noises, but curiously when I recently replaced the fuel pump, the "ticking noise" on decelleration suddenly stopped. Is your rig a diesel Dan????

Scalem