Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait 4 redclaw traps

Bait 4 redclaw traps

Cany any one tell me whats the best bait for catching redclaw, also how long would you cook redclaw like sandcrabs/cherrabin 8 mins from the boil

Re: Bait 4 redclaw traps

Mate, The best bait ive used and seen used is KFC bones, they go nuts over them. Almost anything will work but pillies are a good standby.

I bring very salty water to the boil and throw the redclaw in and wait until some start to float (2-4mins depending on the quanitity being cooked and then pull them out and chill down in ice slurry.

Best to then shell them and trow the tails into a stirfry or curry or some toher chinese meal base as on thier own they are quite flavourless usually. The std freshwater yabby (cherux Destructor) leaves them hands down for flavour.

Jack.

Hey pop eye we were told at tinaroo to used vegies , such a pumkin , spuds etc etc it worked really well for us . we did ok on firty old catties at awoonga
    Craig

boiled potato with the skin left on, cheap and works a treat
    Fillet and Release Squad

Dim sims have worked well for me. Get really cheapo ones - the type you would not eat ;-). They store conveniently frooze in the freezer, are clean to use and work a treat (in my expereince). I think it may vary from place to place - because I've heard the potato thing a lot, but didn't have success with that myself.

Some friends use watermelon and it works a treat as well... lol these buggers will eat anything!

barra

a tin of homebrand dogfood.

Bullock liver works well. You can usually guet it from your butcher for about 2 buck and you just cut it up from there. Used to bring home stack of redclaw and std freshwater yabbies using it. You can either chuck it into a trap, or tie a peice onto the end of a length of fishing line, chuck it into the water, ties the other end to a stick, and wait until the tension gets pulled out of the line. Then retreive the live slowly and get a fine mesh net and scoop up from behind them

yep cheap dog or cat food

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    on thier own they are quite flavourless usually. The std freshwater yabby (cherux Destructor) leaves them hands down for flavour.

Jack.
    Agree with that, was a little disappointed with my first campsite feed of them being used to eating destructors and Murry crays.

The potato works sort of OK if there is any risk of turtles around.

cheers fnq

Small children and barking dog's Naa i would never do that,we used to sort of berly them up with chook pellet's then throw the cast net over them,i think they will just about have a go at anything as for taste well the're better than cherabin.
    Dan.....

Pop_eye,

Vegies seem to be what does them for me... Spuds, Carrots... Rockmelon too! Meat is never a bad option either. Do a search in this section of Ausfish (Freshwater Fishing) and just type in 'Redclaw'. Ka-billions of threads on how and what to catch them with.

Just don't forget to pick your Pots up when your done with them. Hate seeing old Redclaw pots straun all over the place... they make for welcome Birthday presents however.
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Mate, The best bait ive used and seen used is KFC bones, they go nuts over them. Almost anything will work but pillies are a good standby.

I bring very salty water to the boil and throw the redclaw in and wait until some start to float (2-4mins depending on the quanitity being cooked and then pull them out and chill down in ice slurry.

Best to then shell them and trow the tails into a stirfry or curry or some toher chinese meal base as on thier own they are quite flavourless usually. The std freshwater yabby (cherux Destructor) leaves them hands down for flavour.

Jack.
    G'day Jack,

Are there any places left where you can catch these without a boat?

About 3 years ago I used to catch some on the right hand side of the road before you get to turn off to Billies Landing on the way to somerset.

I left 3 traps at this place, there was no way one could have seen the ropes from the roadside and no one to my knowledge seen where I placed them. Came back from uni that same day, some lowlife bastard stole them, the area is non tidal and the ropes were under a rock and solid fixed. Have new opera house pots but have not used these as yet due to the drought.

Bait I was using was 1/2 boiled spud, pure sunlight soap and bit of rock melon, they worked but would not know which worked the best.
    Peter

semi-boiled spuds with garlic.

Tails on BBQ with crushed garlic - yum
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Alot of baits work pretty well for redclaw from rockmelon, half cooked spuds, fish, meat, chicken what works best tends to be where ur putting u traps in. Bondy fairburn dam near emerald yields pretty good catches of red claws wihtout a boat. personally blue claw yabbies leave red claws for dead in taste but red claw can reach a decent size in 9 months whilst blue claws wont reach that size in a number of years. the best way for cooking red claw is take the head off cut the tail down the middle with a sharp knife marinate for a day in honey soy or personal favourite red wine and garlic and cook on the shell side on the barby for a few mins and flip onto flesh side for a minute or 2, bloody beautiful

Cheers potsy