Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning-in Car Gps Owners!

Exclamation Warning-in Car Gps Owners!

This is some friendly advice to all of you fellow Ausfish motorists out there. If you have a GPS in your car DO NOT have it on show even for a split second. I have heard that thieves target them but now I am in total amazement as to how fast they target them. Below is the chain of events that has left me feeling so angry.

At home recovering from a work related injury I decided that it would be great to invest in a lead for my Sony Handycam so I can start dabbling in editing and transferring data onto discs in the future.

Hop in the car and drive up the road to the local Retravision store. Thought to myself "Should I hide the GPS?" after having pulled out on the main road right out the front of the shop. Decided that I would not even be 5 minutes so this one occasion I decided the GPS would be safe where it was(To date I have always hidden it out of site, just this one time I left it attached to the windscreen). I walked into the shop, was confronted immediately by a salesman and told him what I wanted and showed the camera. "Nah mate sorry, we don't stock that lead!" was his reply so in less than 2 minutes I was back out the front door.
    Jumped in my car and first thing I see is glass everywhere.
    Yes you guessed it, some little turd decided to sieze the opportunity when they saw the GPS and smashed the passenger side front window to get is prize.
    So here I am with a smashed window, a car I can't secure until it is fixed and a Christmas present (GPS) stolen. A big concern to me is that I have addresses keyed into the GPS including home so now the little sh!t has some added bonus information. These sorts of things just do very little to help me have faith in this world in which I live.

So here is my advice to all of you. DO NOT ever think that your GPS is not going to attract a thief even if you leave the car for 1 minute. Hide it out of site or take it with you. You cannot trust any bugger out there.

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Re: Warning-in Car Gps Owners!

These w$%#ers make me sick!! nothing better to to with they're time.
    Sorry to here about that Poodroo.

Lindsay

Bummer,

No security cameras in the parking lot at all where you were?
    Probably not but worth checking in case they caught the little fokker on them.

ars**oles, what more can you say. makes me glad to live in a town where mobile phones only work some times and we are 10 years behind techonogy. Hope the house contents cover it for you.
    cheers
    blaze

Dont mean to offend .....but in the big smoke it may be less of a temptation to use a street directory.
    although it sux that city life has come to that.
    Last edited by disorderly; 15-02-2008 at 05:33 PM.

Well here is another snippet of info for everyone. Insurance companies do not cover GPS systems in cars if they are after market. For cars like new Subaru's for example that have one mounted in the dashboard they will be covered by the insurance companies but I can't imagine a thief would go through that much trouble. The only way an insurance company will pay anything toward a GPS (attached to windscreen types) is if you list it separately on your policy otherwise they will not pay. Now if you do put it on your policy the insurance companies (in my case Suncorp) will only cover up to $150 value per item stolen which is hardly anywhere near enough to replace the GPS. Can someone please tell me why I have full comprehensive insurance?
    Thieves 1.....Poodroo 0

Regards,

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 15-02-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Thats sad poodroo, how quick are they, Just told dad and he is gonna make sure he hides his all the time now.

cheers tassie JR

Hey if I can help just one person with this thread then it has served it's purpose Tassie JR. The sad thing that I am most upset about it that this GPS was a present from the wife for Christmas and I am not used to receiving such nice gifts becuase let's face it they are worth a bit of money. I am sad for the fact my wife may as well have just thrown her money out the window. Same difference really.
    Just as a side not I was chatting to the helpful O'Brien glass lady and she said that it is amazing what they the thieves will target a car for. If you have paper in a center console for example that even remotely look as though it could be money they will have no hesitation in breaking a window to check it out. Just be warned people that car theft is on the up and up so do everything in your power to not give them reason to break in.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 15-02-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Dont mean to offend .....but in the big smoke it may be less of a temptation to use a street directory.
    although it sux that city life has come to that.
    No offense directed at you either disorderly, but trying to find where you going with only a street directory is from the stoneages. GPS has its place. I wish I had one trying to find where to go on the Sunshine coast motorway once, when I had 3 appointments with clients up that way. Got lost twice, was running late for the last one, nearly got smashed by a semi as I pulled over to take another look at the map, then got booked for speeding, still trying to find the last place I had to go. At my age, I have just taken delivery of my 1st perscription glasses because I can't see a street directory clearly anyway, and I get really stressed if I can't find that B%$$^!!street on the map.

So now my Tom Tom's name is "Jane" which is my preferred voice, she tells me where to go in a shorter space of time, she relaxes me, and I love her to bits Unless you've tried her yourself you will never really understand!!

REALLY sorry to hear you were broken into Poodroo!!

Scalem

Sorry to hear Poodroo - Thanks for the reminder - being a woman there is stuff everywhere in my car! - thinks me go clean it up & hide good stuff now!!

bad poodroo . nothing will stop these w**kers .
    having lived in beautiful Scotland for thirty years we learned at a very
    early age to secure & lock everything . sad to see that here in even more beautiful Australia we have to now start to do the same . the punishment
    never fits the crime .
    haggis .

sorry that meant to say bad luck poodroo .
    haggis ...............

Why we are on the topic where would be the best place to hide things in your car apart fom the obvious under the seat in consoles or gloveboxes ect, not alot of people want to carry a gps into the shops with them.

cheers tassie JR

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Well here is another snippet of info for everyone. Insurance companies do not cover GPS systems in cars if they are after market. For cars like new Subaru's for example that have one mounted in the dashboard they will be covered by the insurance companies but I can't imagine a thief would go through that much trouble. The only way an insurance company will pay anything toward a GPS (attached to windscreen types) is if you list it separately on your policy otherwise they will not pay. Now if you do put it on your policy the insurance companies (in my case Suncorp) will only cover up to $150 value per item stolen which is hardly anywhere near enough to replace the GPS. Can someone please tell me why I have full comprehensive insurance?
    Thieves 1.....Poodroo 0

Regards,

Poodroo
    Thanks for the heads up, I am going to ring the insurance company tomorrow and get my $700 gps listed on the policy

Bugga Andrew.

I tried to get my GPS listed on my car ins and they would not do it, so it got included in my House Contents Ins ( because it is detachable ) and that costs me an extra $2.20/ month. But it is a $1,000 unit so insurance is essential.

I do remove it from the vehicle at most times I leave it. I also don't even put it in the car unless I am going to unfamiliar territory.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here