Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Re: For Moreton Bay Users

Re: For Moreton Bay Users

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    does everyone in the boat have to have a license? what happens for people that might only fish a couple of times a year? how does the system handle people who aren't fishing in the boat (ie. wife and kid)? it would surely be way easier to whack a levy on boat rego, all the admin/policing systems are already in place and the only new systems would be a group set up to spend the cashola. sounds like the licensing system is working well down in some nsw areas though bill.
    They cater for occasional anglers with a temporary license - at a reduced charge of course. Kids are exempt. If the wife actually fishes then she needs a license - if not then she doesn't.

If you apply the license to only boat owners then you narrow the revenue base of anglers quite a bit for no real reason. Also I don't think you have thought of the fact that not everyone who buys a boat goes fishing!
    Last edited by billfisher; 09-04-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling

pin and bill, you guys both have good points about not everyone would be paying. and yes not all boat owners fish (i fish very rarely these days myself but still use the boat) i was only looking at it from the administration cost angle and also the policing angle.

for example with licensing i could have a license, cruise out to the cockle banks with my wife and kid for a few whiting, throw out a few lines (one for each of us) and when fisheries drop by tell them that the lines are all mine. pretty ineffective policing/licensing really.

i agree though that licensing is one of very few options to raise revenue for restocking and arti reefs that would negate the "sustainability" arguments that the greens seem to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    pin and bill, you guys both have good points about not everyone would be paying. and yes not all boat owners fish (i fish very rarely these days myself but still use the boat) i was only looking at it from the administration cost angle and also the policing angle.

for example with licensing i could have a license, cruise out to the cockle banks with my wife and kid for a few whiting, throw out a few lines (one for each of us) and when fisheries drop by tell them that the lines are all mine. pretty ineffective policing/licensing really.

i agree though that licensing is one of very few options to raise revenue for restocking and arti reefs that would negate the "sustainability" arguments that the greens seem to rely on.
    I already said kids are exempt Paddles. As to the wife I think it would be pretty obvious to a fisheries officer if she was fishing or not (they commonly observe fishing boats with binoculars). I think it would be rather rare for a non fisher to be out on a fishing trip in any case.

So if it's so impossable to police and so unfair how do NSW manage it? (and Qld freshwater for that matter).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    I'm happy to pay my $25 a year just for the difference it has made to Botany Bay, where I do a lot of my fishing. All commercial fishermen have been bought out, the system has been stocked with mulloway and artificial reefs installed. On top of that being a paid for recreational fishing haven presents a serious obstacle to it becoming a marine park!
    Thanks Bill, I'm glad someone from NSW agrees with me, i personally beleive that the fishing has improved 100%

fishing liscense = $25 for 52 weeks
    box of beer = $50

I for one was quite sceptical at first, but as they say proofs in the puddin.
    If theres 1 million fisherpeople in QLD, imagine what 25 million would do annually ? Buy a few concrete reef balls thats for sure.
    & to the guy that said I work for the EPA, I don't but i wouldn't mind if i did.
    Last edited by poopeypetey; 13-04-2008 at 01:12 AM.