Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ciguatera & Spanish mackeral

Re: Ciguatera & Spanish mackeral

Spelchek

I ate my pb Spanish 21kg in my avatar, from the arti at Elliot heads when we lived at Bargara.We had no ill effects,but could have just been good luck.I have been told the lucky buggers in WA do not have this problem with cig ! How is the new boat ? The Mrs is keen for a trip back there soon.

Ciguatera & Spanish mackeral

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Spelchek

I ate my pb Spanish 21kg in my avatar, from the arti at Elliot heads when we lived at Bargara.We had no ill effects,but could have just been good luck.I have been told the lucky buggers in WA do not have this problem with cig ! How is the new boat ? The Mrs is keen for a trip back there soon.
    No ill effects??? Id call 30ft of flame coming out my arse an ill effect....

Oops,my old Avatar !

LOL, might wanna see someone about that.. bit of a worry about the chain mail suit as well..

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    Just caught a big spaniard (maxed out the 25kg scale before it was 3/4 off the ground) yesterday in Hervey Bay (at 16mile ledge if anyone;s interested) Tried about 4 mouthfuls strait off the barbie when we finished filleting it. No symptoms at all early or now - 24hrs later. DO you think I could assume it's free of ciga or would I need to eat more to get a symtoms. Safe or not - what does the Ausfish 'hive mind' think?
    IMO you had enough to be struck down if the fish was contaminated, less than 6 hours it took to affect my family.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

ANYTHING bigger than 8kilos doesn't make it to my freezer. If it does, it's for bait purposes. Probably a little O.T.T., but I hate puking!

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    Just caught a big spaniard (maxed out the 25kg scale before it was 3/4 off the ground) yesterday in Hervey Bay (at 16mile ledge if anyone;s interested) Tried about 4 mouthfuls strait off the barbie when we finished filleting it. No symptoms at all early or now - 24hrs later. DO you think I could assume it's free of ciga or would I need to eat more to get a symtoms. Safe or not - what does the Ausfish 'hive mind' think?
    I got this fella at the 16 mile also....however I wasnt game enough to eat it....its now hanging on my wall after getting it taxidermied.

It went 36kg photo.JPG

Some big Spaniards come from that area!!

Completely agree with cuzzamundi!

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Used to chase the Spaniards up the Inside of Fraser, anything of size say over 7kg mmm well the "Poor Old Pussy Cat' would get first go (Pieces nearest to backbone). 8hrs later if Pussy showing no ill effects, out come the Filleting Knife (Always Fillet Them) oh and the Crispy Skin yum. Pussy Cat lived to be about 14.