Thread: priorities

priorities

what is more important part in a set up. is it better to have a great reel and an ok rod or is the rod the crux of the set up. currently my reels are top line while my rods are just cheapies

Re: priorities

Well it help's if both are, i have alway's chosen to get the best quality rod in preference to reel my self but i'm not saying the reel's i have are cheap either.The better the rod the better the casting action and the better the fighting action or control over the fish.But in saying that even the best rod won't help if you have the worst drag from the reel side of thing's.Dan.........

mate in my opinion it goes both ways but if you buy a decent reel i recon you should put a decent rod on it you can get quite good rods from $80+
    I myself just bought a daiwa zillion and waiting a little longer and saving abit more money so i can get a good rod.
    In my eyes you have to wait to get what you want and believe me i wait lol i work a mcdonalds and i dont make to much money because im young.

If you can't afford to buy the best of both, I reckon its always better to spend the money on the reel and then buy the rod that you can afford after that.

Cheers
    Kezza

There is a huge difference, a high end reel can set you back anywhere up to and over $1000 yet a very reasonable rod can be purchased for $200 and even less.
    With a lot of top line Reels you often get 2 spools, spooling each up with different line sizes you can use the reel for multiple purposes.

I think it depends on the purpose you're putting it to. For some forms of fishing all you need out of a reel is reliability and a half decent drag. Other forms of fishing the rod is less important and you need a really tough reel or high retrieve speed etc.. for the optimum performance. It depends on the purpose of the setup as to where the greater money goes imho.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

No point in spending $700 on a Daiwa Steez & throwing it on a Shimano Raider rod ..... you'll loose a few of the benefits of an ultra light reel that is capable of throwing ultralight lures.

IMHO you should match the rod or reel with the other component that will compliment the other part of the system A quality rod needs a quality reel & vice verse Nagg

It all boils down to the style of fishing you partake in. Dragging big leads around bottom bashing in 50m of water does not require a top line rod but does require a reel with some balls about it. Casting soft plastics for snapper or bream in shallow waters will require a sensitive rod to be able to subtlely work the lures to thier best but the reel does not need to be a $1000 dollar prospect either.
    Personally I have found there are plenty of both good reels and good rods out there with just the right specs to suit any style of fishing that will not break the bank. Decent gear generally will not set you back more than about 300 for either rod or reel and more often than not you can find a bargain of good quality for well under half that price.
    Look back at all the outstanding catches that used to be made on catgut lines and handcasters. Thats as low tech as you can get.

Jack.

If your going to spend the money on one spend it on the reel, well unless your fly fishing. You are far more likely to notice the and appreciate the difference say between a $100 reel and $300 reel then you are between a $100 rod and $300 rod.

Thats my 2 cents
    Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    If your going to spend the money on one spend it on the reel, well unless your fly fishing. You are far more likely to notice the and appreciate the difference say between a $100 reel and $300 reel then you are between a $100 rod and $300 rod.

Thats my 2 cents
    Cheers Chris
    Light fly fishing is the only scenario I can think of where the rod is the key to the system ( the reel just holds line)........ but I wouldn't say that when you are chasing big pelagics (when you do need a reel with a great drag etc)

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Light fly fishing is the only scenario I can think of where the rod is the key to the system ( the reel just holds line)........ but I wouldn't say that when you are chasing big pelagics (when you do need a reel with a great drag etc)

Nagg
    Some thing like the alvey 425b fly reel can be had for around $160. But to find a 10wt rod to go with it you would probably have to fork out at least $250.

Cheers Chris

like nagg said no use in buying a $500 finesse reel only to put it on 'broomstick', you have to find the balance of quality for your budget.

you cant stinge on saltwater reels unlike freshwater, saltwater reels need a good drag (one that wont melt when a speedster takes ya for a run) and a good start up enertia so you wont blow tippets/leaders. also looks has a lot to do with it! just wish i had a few grand to get some abels and mako's!

(currentl waiting for my Orvis Mach V to arrive)

bias towards the reel.

Try and find a balance and think toward the future. I just gave away several near new ugly sticks and cheap ($150) reels that I'll never use because they dont suit my style of fishing . I wish I had of saved up and bought better gear in the first place. It would have been cheaper.

I now only have about 6 rods that I use, four good ones and two backups. All up the're worth about $5500 but they will last and I love to fish with them.

For me, Rod and reel equal in importance