View Poll Results: Most productive skirt lure colour.

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neutral

1 1.25%
  • Gold

3 3.75%
  • Orange

2 2.50%
  • Red

4 5.00%
  • Pink

13 16.25%
  • Lumo

17 21.25%
  • Green

2 2.50%
  • Blue

4 5.00%
  • Purple

29 36.25%
  • Black

5 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirt lure colours

Skirt lure colours

Might be opening a can of worms ? I am just interested in what is considered the most productive colour, as oh so often the lure catches the fisherman not the fish.

The poll is based on general colour or majority as there are so many variables it would be to hard to poll.

So if you could troll only one lure with your target of a marlin, large tuna or mahi what would it be ?

Neutral
    Gold
    Orange
    Red
    Pink
    Lumo
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Black

Re: Skirt lure colours

Not sure about the species listed, but when I lived in cairns, putting a red squid skirt above a pilly used to nearly double the number of strikes when we were chasing Mackerel. We learned this very quickly and never went chasing speedsters without them after we cottoned on.

No other colour made much difference to the number of strikes at all, and myself, the old man, and all his mates still use red ones only if we are chasing maccies.

Hey baitwaster, Haven't hear that one before were these trolled or just a floater ? and what hooks? ganged or single.

Nofishtoobig.

We use a treble gang or single with a pillie on it ( usually treble gang ), and the red plastic squid / skirt thingy above it to look like it has a hold of the pillie. used to work trolled and floated.

I haven't had a crack at them for a while, so I have all the gear ready to go, and just like everyone, I am waiting for a calm day when some of the buggers are around.

My old man is all geared up and waiting for them in Hervey bay too.

I'll rig one up and take a pic when I get a chance.
    Last edited by baitwaster; 14-02-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Are you talking like spinnerbait skirts for Bass as well? If so well i reckon that mostly natural colours like browns and cremes work the best, and also purple seems to be good as well..
    cheers barra

clear. that glows a light purple when it hits the water.
    out fish any other color esp on marlin. looks like a squid.

mark........

I'm fairly new top the whole skirt thing, have only trolled hardbodies till this year. Have been told by someone in the know that purple is the colour to go for.

Cheers
    Kezza

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
    I'm fairly new top the whole skirt thing, have only trolled hardbodies till this year. Have been told by someone in the know that purple is the colour to go for.

Cheers
    Kezza

Purple and black is the first lure out of our boat Kezza.

Caught more pelagics on purple over black than any other colour or colour combination !

Nagg

Well, its only 27 votes but it has suprised me that purple is infront, i was expecting the usuall suspects of either pink, luno or black.

As colour goes out of interest those that are purple or purple over black voters would you say that most of the strikes on those colours occur more often during the earlier part of the day and the later aftoernoon ? or would you say that there is no specific time of day that a strike rates are higher?

Purple over black works exceptionally well on overcast days.
    During my pelagics chasing days there was always 1 or even 2 run in a spread regardless of the conditions or time of day.
    One interesting point that we noted , The best results were when the lure was run short in the prop /s wash rather than long or a shot gun!

Nagg

I use 'Mahi Mahi' type colours in the outriggers, combos of green/yellow/blue/lumo, and 'Qantas' red with white or silver.
    Like Nagg, in short around the prop wash I go for purple with black or blue, and red with black for dark contrast in the white water.
    Last edited by GPB; 17-02-2008 at 04:43 PM.

yep the clear that glows blue/purple as the inner skirt or by its self ...... purple n black...blue n silver.....blue n white.....(green n silver/black wahoo lollies)........then pink skirt when towing baits around...
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

For Wahoo you can't beat purple over gold

cheers tim

pink for dollies
    blue/green,green/yellow,orange/yellow the tranlucent purple as said above for marlin
    blue/green,black/fluro orange,purple/black for hoo.
    blue/pink ,translucent puple for tuna.
    orange/yellow blue/green for cobia.
    ther are endless colours that will work for some people and not the other..