View Poll Results: How big is your biggest flattie?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40-45

5 2.78%
  • 50-55

10 5.56%
  • 55-60

11 6.11%
  • 60-65

11 6.11%
  • 65-70

20 11.11%
  • 70-75

12 6.67%
  • 75-80

20 11.11%
  • 80-85

19 10.56%
  • 85-90

21 11.67%
  • 90-95

17 9.44%
  • 95+

31 17.22%
  • Less than 40

3 1.67%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Flathead

Re: Biggest Flathead

68cm for me off the beach near the Bribie bridge. Weather conditions were raining and blowing about 30 knots and it smashed a small squid. It was also the first and only time that I saw a flathead leap up out of the water shaking his head like a barra.

Seen some truely HUGE fish taken out of the river here (clarence) on a regular basis. Saw a 7.9kg fish a week and a bit ago that was the 9th fish for that bloke in a week over 6kg. All released bar one which was hooked in the gills and was bleeding profusely.

Edit: I know a bloke who has told me he has pictures of a 3 1m+ flathead. Ill try and get them to put on the net. they're back in the dark age (film)

76cm, caught in the Elliott river on a killer tomato squidgy.
    Bag em 'n' Tag em,
    Gumbo1

i've been using killer tomato's for bream,but i will have to try and catch flathead on them now,that's excellent mate
    Regards
    Dylan

69cm on gold squidgy shad Coochin ck, pumicestone passage. also a few 64cm models. they sure play up at that size.

Hey, lucky me, I seem to have the smallest 'biggest' flathead. Caught one on Monday that went 55cm. Caught one a year or so back that went about 58-59cm, but I have no proof of that one.........
    Hey, I'm a useless fisherman, I was shocked that I even caught one that large. It's the first legal sized flathead I've caught since switching from Land-based to the canoe 6 or so months ago.

Ausfish Bronze Member

The biggest flattie I have caught was just over 89cm. (35 plus inches). I caught it on a No 6 longshank hook on 7 lb line. I was fishing for whiting in Corio Bay/Yeppoon. I was using a fresh yabbie for bait and fishing from my canoe.
    Eagle

14 pounds 10 ounces, 38 inches , Northern tip of Bribie, 1971. 9lb line. Pillie.

i got one 93cm from piont vernon in hervey bay

Many years ago I caught one off the bank at Jacobs Well which measured 83cms. Was alovely fish and yes I returned it. I did take home a feed that day however. Followed the big girl up with a 68cm and a 60 cm for dinner. Gotta love that flathead for taste. Yummy!

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Caught one as a early teen (25yrs ago) off the Wangi Powerstation outlet on Lake Macquarie. It weighed a crack under 9kg and was caught on a live poddy working over the edge of a weed bank. Don't know the length, but it was a really big bugger, especially for a kid. That outlet had a rep for some big lizards and I saw one bigger than mine caught on some really small gear. Took the bloke a very long time to land it.

80cm at mouth of bells creek on a frozen prawn sept 07.

1.08m of noosa river croc. Caught on 8 pound line, 12 pound leader using a natural coloured squidgy fish. caught near the mouth.

whoever used a squidgy fish,could you tell me what retrieve you were doing
    Regards
    Dylan